Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > South Central Region > Texas Boomers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-17-2017, 07:32 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Best views across Texas

Recommendations for places in Texas where I can enjoy spectacular-to-great views from inside my 37' MH?

I'm a writer who is soon-to-be-free-from-my-day-job and dreaming of spending 1 to 3 weeks of dedicated writing time while hold up in my MH enjoying a gorgeous view out my window.

Where have you experienced your most memorable views?
WriteOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2017, 07:45 PM   #2

South Padre Island. Cameron Co RV Park on the water. Google it. Big Bend Nat. Park. Sorry I have no Pics.
ChasL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 08:38 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasL View Post
South Padre Island. Cameron Co RV Park on the water. Google it. Big Bend Nat. Park. Sorry I have no Pics.
Cameron Co RV Park - Cameron County Parks Home
Cameron County Parks Andy Bowie Park
Cameron County Parks Isla Blanca Park

Big Bend - site says this location has the only full RV hookups in Big Bend https://www.nps.gov/bibe/planyourvisit/rgv_hookups.htm
Old 12-17-2017, 08:51 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
South Padre is good but not Colorado

the western end of Galveston is good...

Big Bend is stupendous and night skies that you will not believe !
Old 12-18-2017, 06:59 AM   #5

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder!

Texas has lots and lots of beautiful places to park. What part of the state are you looking at? Each area has its own beauty.

Without knowing your preferences, would not try to recommend to you anything in particular.

The surrounding states have wonderful places to park as well.

Good luck in your travels.
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 07:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WriteOn View Post

You'll be pretty disappointed in the full hookups at Big Bend. It's literally a parking lot.

To really get the best of it you'd be well served to look into the primitive camp sites...Big Bend is at its best in it's epic isolation. Only know that there is NO generator usage allowed outside of the established camp grounds in the NP so you'll need to either break camp to come in and run generators/empty tanks or rely on solar. The State Park just to the West may be a little different in that regard but I've never been over there.

It's an amazing place and outside of Spring Break and the holidays you should have it mostly to yourself.
Old 12-18-2017, 07:40 AM   #7

Quote:
This looks great!
RV_Fan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 06:34 PM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by txcpl View Post
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder!n
Indeed it is! That's actually the reason I left my query open ended. Since I'll be making multiple trips, I wanted to have a list of places where there is a view -- or the ability ability to see out some distance from my MH. I've traveled around our state a great deal and camped in several of our parks, but never paid attention to what the views were like from the area the RVs parked. Big Bend is a great example. I've been there but never looked for a place to park an RV. One of the posters here talks about it being like a parking lot. I do wonder if there is a view from the parking lot

Fort Davis is beautiful but I don't recall any view from the area where I camped. Even the view of the stars at night was most special from the Fort itself, not the camping area.

My writing life will be taking me to many around the state. Geographically, the broad central Texas area and west to Monahans. In west Texas, I'd draw a line from at Lubbock to Big Bend.
Old 12-18-2017, 06:36 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by txcpl View Post
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder!n
Indeed it is! That's actually the reason I left my query open ended. Since I'll be making multiple trips, I wanted to have a list of places where there is a view -- or the ability ability to see out some distance from my MH. I've traveled around our state a great deal and camped in several of our parks, but never paid attention to what the views were like from the area the RVs parked. Big Bend is a great example. I've been there but never looked for a place to park an RV. One of the posters here talks about it being like a parking lot. I do wonder if there is a view from the parking lot

Fort Davis is beautiful but I don't recall any view from the area where I camped. Even the view of the stars at night was most special from the Fort itself, not the camping area.

Writing projects will take me to many area around the state. Geographic areas -- the Central Texas area and west to Monahans. In west Texas, I'd draw a line from at Lubbock to Big Bend.
Old 12-18-2017, 07:19 PM   #10

How about some mountain views: https://www.lajitasgolfresort.com/de...=maverickranch

Or Sagebrush and Mesquite Loops here:
https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/p...ties/campsites
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 07:40 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You ask "Where have you experienced your most memorable views"

Well we spent a month going all over Texas and my most memorable view was at the Gaylord Hotel in Grapevine where they were interviewing 150 girls for the Dallas Cowboys Cheer leading group. They were all in swimsuits and walking around the hotel.

Believe me my friend that was MEMORABLE!

Keep in mind I live an hour from Yosemite National park and terrain in Texas is a bit different than here.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 08:38 PM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Thanks, mountain views sound wonderful!

Lajitas - Tossing out golf and riding are you? Might take me away from my objective, but sounds fun.

Palo Duro Canyon - For years I've dreamed of getting a cabin on the rim of Palo Duro Canyon but now I don't need a cabin. Do you recommend one loop over the other? Sagebrush or Mesquite? How amazing it would be to watch a big storm blow in from such a vantage point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aauummm View Post
Old 12-18-2017, 08:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Thanks, mountain views sound wonderful!

Lajitas - Tossing out golf and riding are you? Might take me away from my objective, but sounds fun.

Palo Duro Canyon - For years I've dreamed of getting a cabin on the rim of Palo Duro Canyon but now I don't need a cabin. Do you recommend one loop over the other? Sagebrush or Mesquite? How amazing it would be to watch a big storm blow in from such a vantage point.
I think that Mesquite has a bit more dramatic views. The relatively new loop, Juniper, looks like a very nice facility, not sure on the views from there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Palo Duro  Mesquite Camp.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	499.1 KB
ID:	186129  
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 09:53 AM   #14
Texas Boomers Wagonmaster

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
This is really a tough one.

All the views in Texas are magnificent. There are no really 'best" ones.

This is the humble opinion of a born and raised native Texan.

Tags
texas