Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > South Central Region > Texas Boomers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-24-2017, 09:07 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Labor day rally cancelled

This is only the 2nd time in Boomer history that we've had to cancel a rally due to severe weather conditions, but safety deems it necessary to make that decision in light of Hurricane Harvey and the unprecedented conditions they are saying will continue through Wednesday (at least) in the Houston area.

I've contacted several other Boomers who've agreed that we'd rather err on the side of safety than to have people risk life and rigs on the roads* 1) anticipated flooding of all major/and minor highways getting to Houston, 2) major flooding in Houston and* 3) traffic situations with people either evacuating or trying to get back home after the storm.* Not to mention what each of us will be dealing with regarding our homes that may be affected during the course of the next five days (power outages, wind/tornado damage, ground saturations.....the list goes on and on. *

KOA HAS CONTACTED ME WITH THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE
We are able to cancel all attendees at once, if that’s what you’d like me to do. Unfortunately, cancelling rally with result in losing deposit for the rally hall and deposits for attendees’ reservations will be lost too. Deposit cannot be rolled over to 2018.

ALL INDIVIDUAL RESERVATIONS FOR THE RALLY HAVE BEEN CANCELLED -
The new management of the rv park will not waive the refund policy unless you book another individual date. Everyone will pay $33 for one nights site fee.

Texas and Boomers - we just naturally go together
Madame Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2017, 09:10 AM   #2

Traylor & Marilyn Walker

Sandy, We contacted the RV Park this morning to cancel and they informed me that we would lose our deposit if we canceled without rescheduling another date. We did not have another date in mind so we are going to lose the deposit. Just to pass on the information.

Please let us know if you have any success in getting refunds back.

Thanks!

Old 08-26-2017, 09:22 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
I feared this would happen........our next scheduled date is in 2018! I've got a call in to them and an email, but as yet haven't heard from them.

I guess they have their policy and no contingency for "acts of God" as we're experiencing...we may all have to eat $33 for one night's site fee, but I'd rather pay that than risk life and limb!

I'll do the best I can while working through this situation, but don't expect much cooperation from KOA. Which gives me thought for consideration for future rallies there!

Sandy
Old 08-26-2017, 09:31 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Everyone should just change their reservations to one night if they are going to keep one nights fee for cancellation. Hotels do not do this. I personally will never make a reservation at any park that has a cancellation policy such as theirs. No KOA's ever.
ranchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 11:26 AM   #5

Thank you for all your efforts. We were on our way to Galveston after the rally for the rest of the week. Just not meant to be. We're looking onward to Kerrville and still looking forward to meeting everyone.
Old 08-26-2017, 01:36 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
going

We just called and because we are not scheduled till Friday. We have asked to keep our reservation in tact. If unable to make it we will cancel Thursday. I needed some camping time lol.
Old 08-26-2017, 03:59 PM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Boomer View Post
I feared this would happen........our next scheduled date is in 2018! I've got a call in to them and an email, but as yet haven't heard from them.

I guess they have their policy and no contingency for "acts of God" as we're experiencing...we may all have to eat $33 for one night's site fee, but I'd rather pay that than risk life and limb!

I'll do the best I can while working through this situation, but don't expect much cooperation from KOA. Which gives me thought for consideration for future rallies there!

Sandy
I'd make sure they understand how much revenue they will lose in the future because of this unwise policy.

We are truly sorry we will not be able to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary with our Boomer friends.

David and Mary Lovitt

2015 F-150 King Ranch LB 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost Toad, Texas Boomers RV Club
FMCA F292298, NRA Benefactor Life Member
dlovitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 07:35 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Its been a long day, folks dealing with the hurricane and dealing with the aftermath of the cancellation. When my mind is fresh in the morning, I will issue a statement on the conflicting information I've been inundated with today and come to some sort of resolution.
Old 08-26-2017, 07:48 PM   #9

Canceling with KOA due to hurricane

I am not a part of this rally. However,I would think because parts of Texas have been declared a natural disaster that they would legally have to give your $ back. See what Fema says about this. Our club had a campout at a KOA. One of the campers in our group suffered a stroke(CVA). He had to be taken by ambulance and was fortunate to go to a small hospital that was stroke certified. He had a very good outcome. The KOA charged him for leaving their fifth wheel. The wife was able to get someone to transport it home a few days later. Our club vowed to never camp at this KOA again. Our group represents at least $1500 per weekend. Depends on how many rigs attend. KOA owners smarten up.
Old 08-27-2017, 09:38 AM   #10

canceling at the KOA in Texas due to hurricane

Another thought...Write up your complaint and send it into the Action Line at Trailer Life or Motor Home Magazine. I'm sure they would appreciate the free publicity!! Be sure to name the campground.
Old 09-01-2017, 07:35 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We will be at the KOA this weekend if any boomers could make it not shine of the site yet we are about 30 mins from the campground stop by and see us I will post site number later. Hope everyone is doing well
Old 09-01-2017, 08:17 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Brad, check your private message box. Post your site nbr..can't make any promises who can get there for a visit but at least the sun is shining..a very welcome site for s water logged city!
Old 09-01-2017, 10:57 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We are in site 153

Tags
rally, led