Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > South Central Region > Texas Boomers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:57 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Lake Medina - just curious

I was just going through the 2010 Boomer calendar to see how many rallies we might get to attend. The year is not starting off for us very well because of this never ending building project that we're in and I'd like to make up for it as the year progresses.

I've gone through all of the events and plotted routes to each of the locations. When I was looking at the Lake Medina directions, I saw the "steep road" signs. That always perks up my ears. I'll drive 'em up all day long but some the coming down parts get my blood pressure up. That happened to us a Petit Jean SP in AR last fall. I met a farm implement coming up at the sharpest hairpin and he was about half way on my side. I'm glad that I had spare underwear along. Fortunately, I could come to a complete stop fairly easily.

To avoid any repeats, I'd like to know how steep is steep on the Lake Medina road? Are we talking 6% or 10%? Are we talking hairpins (doesn't look like it on Google Maps) or is it fairly straight? Is it narrow, too?

Inquiring minds would like to know.

Charlie
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2010, 05:32 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Come on Charlie, tighten the seat belt a little tighter, close one eye and boggity, boggity, boggity! We did that Petite Jean pull last year and will probably do it again this year and Judy has vertigo. Don't let some little ole hill keep you from coming.

Interestingly enough, I was perusing the upcoming events the other day and I didn't understand if you went around that hill or... Also the verbiage said turn right when the map looks like you turn left. I'll figger that our when its closer.

How's the building coming? Or should I not ask?
Old 01-26-2010, 09:07 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We won't make the decision to come or not come to Lake Medina, based on the hill. I just like to be mentally prepared. The "pull" at Petit Jean was nothing. Like I said, I'll drive up all day long. I live in fear of exactly what happened on the way down. When I need more than my share of the road (at the hairpin), I meet someone who has the same idea coming the other way. We did Palo Duro Canyon State Park a couple of years ago and faced as similar situation at the bottom hairpin. Our transmission wouldn't hold in low gear and upshifted in the middle of the long run just before the hairpin. Fortunately, there was no one coming up at the time. When we left, I didn't even bat an eyelash on the way out. BTW, Petit Jean is a 6-7% while Palo Duro is definitely a 10% grade

Like the man falling out of the 10 story building and passing the 5th floor saying "so far, so good, " our building project is coming along. After fighting with the contractor and the Town at the end of last week and into the weekend, we've received permission from the Town's inspector to pour concrete today. We need similar permission from the foundation engineer's inspector and the cement trucks should start rolling around noon. The crew should arrive around 11am. Once the concrete is in the ground, I'll sleep a little easier. The building steel ships on 2/8 and I have to have another 3rd of the existing barn down by then. Unfortunately, it is the high center section and I cannot do it alone. I'll have the electric meter disconnected from the old barn after the new building is up and while they finish grading it. I have to have the final 3rd of the old barn demolished before the Town will give me my final approval for the new one. I can take that final part down by myself in a day. Heck, if we get a good windstorm, it might take itself down.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:32 PM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Charlie -

Having been to Lake Medina once, I can tell you that the roads are narrow, but MH's go in and out of there all the time. The hills didn't seem that steep to me, but then again I had my eyes closed!!!

Seriously, it is tricky to get in there and if you go past the turn to the rv park, it is difficult to get turned around. You actually go through a community and the roads are twisty-turney.

I don't want to discourage you from coming by any means, but I will be honest and tell you that it does take some maneuvering to get in and out of there. You're a pro....you can do it! You just have to go slow like everyone else!!!

My first time there I was scared to death, but now that I've been and know what to expect, I know I won't be so scared to go again.

Sandy
National Rally Wagonmaster
Life is sweet when the TEXAS BOOMERS meet!
Madame Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:14 PM   #5

Charlie, I live 8 miles from the entrance road to the Medina Lake RV park. I've driven our 40 ft motor home to the park and don't consider the roads especially steep or uncomfortably narrow. The biggest challenge you'll have is dodging the cow patties on the road once you enter the park grounds (located within a working cattle ranch).

Relax, enjoy the trip and hope we get enough rain in these parts to put some water in the lake before the end of May!

2017 Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS
2011 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Crew Cab 4WD
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:43 PM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the replies. As long as we aren't talking 10+ % grade, I'm fine and won't even worry. I just like to know what I'm getting into. Right now, it doesn't look like we are going to be able to make the Spring rally at Lake Medina but that could change.

We were at Parker Creek, a COE park near the Crater of Diamonds SP in AR. The road up from the dam was twisty and very narrow. We figured out that there was no way that someone could pass us on it when we climbed into there. So, on the way out, we waited to hook up the toad until we were to the dam again, with Judy leading the way in the toad. No problems. She had a walkie talkie and could hold me at a wide spot if someone was coming. As long as I didn't have other vehicles to contend with, I was fine. Narrow and steep I can take - just don't throw another car into the mix. I do pick my way down those kinds of inclines. My reason for asking is that we could do the same at Lake Medina if necessary. I'd just rather find that out in advance.

If you really want a thrill, try going to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. On 89a, about 2 miles from Jacobs lake, there is a hairpin turn where you are separated from a 2,000 foot drop to the outside by 4 inches of white paint! It wasn't nearly so bad on the way down (we actually left toward Las Vegas) because we were on the inside, not the outside. That road probably wasn't more than 5% but it sure was frightening when you just happen upon it. I guess I just don't like those kinds of surprises.

Thanks,

Charlie
Old 01-28-2010, 05:30 AM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
REWahoo -

I forgot about the cow patties ...actually we had to stop on the road going into the park to wait for the cattle to cross! Definitely an experience!!!

Since you live so close, we would LOVE to see you sign up for the June campout and get the chance to meet you and introduce the Texas Boomers to you! If you can't justify bringing the MH the 8 miles, then definitely plan to come for supper on Saturday night. I promise...we're friendlier than some of those cows!!!!

Charlie - we had to cancel the Spring date at Lake Medina. It was scheduled in March...see the Important Message to the Texas Boomers thread, but we'll be there for the June campout. It's on the schedule for the last weekend in June!! Hopefully your barn will be finished by then and you can come and play with us!!!!!

Sandy
National Rally Wagonmaster
Life is sweet when the TEXAS BOOMERS meet!
Madame Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:43 AM   #8

Sandy

Thanks for the invite. We'll probably be somewhere a little cooler that weekend (not that you guys aren't cool - I'm speaking of temperatures here ) but if not, we just might come by for a visit.

2017 Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS
2011 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Crew Cab 4WD
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:48 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Charlie, getting into and out of Lake Madina, is not so bad. The worst is actually inside the campground. Last time I thought I was going to have to throw a tow rope out for Rusty to help that poor old Doge Cummins pull tha 5er of his up to the main road.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:00 PM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
THAT will be the day!! With 4.10 gears and a 6 speed with a crawler 1st gear, that pore ole Cummins idled out of there.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:07 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Just wanting to see if you were awake Rusty.....

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:18 PM   #12
South East Texas Area Leaders

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ken, If he wasn't, he sure is now!!!!!!!!!

Mike
MikenAmber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 10:19 PM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
THAT will be the day!! With 4.10 gears and a 6 speed with a crawler 1st gear, that pore ole Cummins idled out of there.

Rusty

OK, maybe I'm understanding now. Its downhill going in to the CG and uphill coming out?

Or is it down and up in both directions?

Inquiring minds are still curious.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:51 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Boomer View Post
REWahoo -

Charlie - we had to cancel the Spring date at Lake Medina. It was scheduled in March...see the Important Message to the Texas Boomers thread, but we'll be there for the June campout. It's on the schedule for the last weekend in June!!

Sandy
Ya'll ain't foolin me. Suprise birthday party