RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > South Central Region > Texas Boomers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:20 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
San Marcos area

Hi, we wish we would have been able to go to the Corsicana get together this weekend and meet you all. We just started RVing this past summer and want to start doing a couple Boomer events each year now.

Would anyone have a suggestion for a nice place around San Marcos for December?

Thanks

MSD81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2015, 06:18 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Anyone? Pecan park?

Old 12-06-2015, 07:49 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Lots of the Texas Boomers have been at the rally in Corsicana. Maybe they can be of more help for the area.

I think Pecan Park was flooded again. It was a nice place.

Ken
Old 12-08-2015, 07:59 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
You may have more luck asking the question in the "RV Camping Forums" or doing your own research at RV Park Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 05:46 PM   #5
North Central Texas Area Leader

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Pecan Park is a very nice park if it is still operational. As Ken said it was flooded pretty bad along with Leisure Time RV in Fentress by the San Marcos River.

If you are just looking for a park in the Hill Country area there are many nice ones but most are filled with our Northeren friends for the winter so it may be hard to find a site.
Old 12-08-2015, 08:01 PM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
I called and made reservations, she didn't mention anything about being flooded. Was that in the spring or recently?
Old 12-09-2015, 09:33 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSD81 View Post
I called and made reservations, she didn't mention anything about being flooded. Was that in the spring or recently?
It was over Halloween weekend. The boomers rally at Fentress was flooded out and we were told that Pecan Park had flooded as well.
Old 12-09-2015, 03:38 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSD81 View Post
Pecan park is "family" owned - I believe it's changed hands (same family). It's been flooded several times. I'd encourage you to read ALL the reviews on the park - even if that park is still under repair, reservations aren't refundable (at least per what I've read).

Texas has had a lot of water and some flooding in the last 12 months.

You might also want to read experiences of (more than one) person who has had their vehicle/RV damaged by "acts of God" - IE tree branches. I've read more than one issue on it. I'd look at yelp and RV Park reviews - read them all. Probably not a frequent occurrence - and it's a risk with any shaded park, but be aware of the policy.

It's a nice park. Mix of full time and seasonal. We're largely weekend RVers. I had a horrible experience there - not with the facilities, but with the ownership at the time. You can PM me for details.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 12:05 PM   #9

Pecan Park is a nice campground. I too had a bad experience with the owners (the only bad experience with owners in my 10 years of RVing). I never went back since then. But it's been about 7-8 years ago, so things may have changed by now.

If they are making reservations, they must have recovered enough from the flooding.
John219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 02:21 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
The boomers had a rally there a couple years ago and we had no problem with management at all.
Only gripes were that rally hall was located upstairs over indoor swimming pool ( which is very nice) and all the pecan sap on rigs and vehicles.
Old 12-10-2015, 04:52 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by John219 View Post
Pecan Park is a nice campground. I too had a bad experience with the owners (the only bad experience with owners in my 10 years of RVing). I never went back since then. But it's been about 7-8 years ago, so things may have changed by now.
I can't stress enough how "bad" my experience with one of the owners was - the senior owner was out of town, which I'm told contributed the problem. I though such interactions were saved for people who were loud or disruptive so I ignored the reviews, but that was definitely not the case. My trouble was 2 years ago.

That was our ONLY bad experience with a campground too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John219 View Post
If they are making reservations, they must have recovered enough from the flooding.
I would think so too, but I would NOT assume that everything is back up. Ask about what is important to you, otherwise you may find that billing is non-refundable.
Old 12-10-2015, 05:09 PM   #12

Not San Marcos, but about 15 miles south, New Braunfels, I'd suggest the Lazy L&L on the banks of the Guadalupe river [no flooding at the camp].....Nice people great views and sites, central to the Hill Country......Check out their website......
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 06:17 AM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Not San Marcos, but about 15 miles south, New Braunfels, I'd suggest the Lazy L&L on the banks of the Guadalupe river [no flooding at the camp].....Nice people great views and sites, central to the Hill Country......Check out their website......
Looks nice, but this counts us out as we travel with our 2 King Charles..."NO PETS allowed mid-May thru mid-Sep. Non-Aggressive Dogs are only allowed in RVs to monthly/weekly/rally guests from mid-Sep thru mid-May; Absolutely No Dogs in Tents or in RVs paying a daily rate."
Old 12-11-2015, 01:43 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
This is a review from 4 weeks ago, so I'd ask what isn't available, otherwise you may be in for a non-refundable surprise:

Quote:
We made a reservation and when we got to the park it's a mess from the storm... Very hazardess. The park should not be opened until totally up n running. They won't refund our deposit which is wrong seeing they did not tell us the park had been under 5 ft of water.

I'll also point out what appears to be what might be a conflicting policy on damage by trees - they indicate that they're insured, but tell another reviewer that they should carry their own insurance.

9/2015:
Quote:
..as far as the trees, they are regularly inspected and maintained by professionals. We have had some limbs come down, but they were green and alive. Again, mature shade trees in Texas Hill Country come with a risk. This is why we carry insurance, and it's worth noting that our insurance company has never found us negligent or at fault when it comes to our shade trees
10/2015:
Quote:
Hi <omitted>, we do remember you and your situation. We maintain our trees regularly and carefully and cannot control when live limbs come down. This is only one of many reasons every person should carry an insurance policy on their RV, just as they would (and are required by law) to do so with their car.

The owners that I had issues are still there as of 11/2015.