Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > South Central Region > Texas Boomers
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:29 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Snow

Now I know it is not often you guys to the West of me get snow. But I sure wish yall would keep that white stuff over there.

Snowing again here a few miles North of Baton Rouge.

Needless to say this one armed gimp (For a couple more months) is gonna stay inside and watch Cathy and Ashley play with Kacey (The Boston Terrorist) in the snow thru a window.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2010, 10:42 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not only north of Baton Rouge Don, also just north of Opelousas, on I49

Old 02-12-2010, 01:27 PM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
So Don, let's compare notes. We had over 12 inches, the largest one day snowfall in Dallas history. My driveway is almost 200 feet long and I finished shoveling it this morning.

Here is a sad sight. While the rest of the Boomers are doing the "party hearty" thing this weekend, this is our RV.

I have no desire to see if it can negotiate the more than 15" high mounds
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 03:18 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfm11 View Post

Here is a sad sight. While the rest of the Boomers are doing the "party hearty" thing this weekend, this is our RV.

I spoke with a friend that lives a couple miles from Lake Texoma last night. They got a bunch too. While I was talking to him his work phone rang. He had to go work an outage. (Elect.) Today he told me how much "Fun" he had getting to the yard/office to get his service truck..... (Directions to his place include "When you leave the pavement..." )
Old 02-12-2010, 03:29 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
So Don, let's compare notes. We had over 12 inches, the largest one day snowfall in Dallas history. My driveway is almost 200 feet long and I finished shoveling it this morning.

Where is the barn Charlie? Poor thing sittin out there in the cold all alone.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:44 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
We thought it would be nice to "share the wealth" with you all down South since we've had more than our share of the white stuff this winter up here in Oklahoma. Enjoy!
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:55 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Wow!! Thanks for the picture! I just can not get over the weather this year. Here in the PNW we have MUCH warmer than normal temps! I am just PRAYING that we have a cool summer as our mountain snow pack is TERRIBLE this year. That snow pack is our summer water. We have a hot summer, we are going to be in bad shape.

So you guys want to send the white stuff over here??

Sheila
~ Salt Creek Recreation Area Olympic Peninsula, Washington ~
PNWGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 11:53 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
Where is the barn Charlie? Poor thing sittin out there in the cold all alone.

You mean this barn???

I'm not sure that it would help much even if I could figure out a way to get the MH there. The snow is covering up the facts that there is no ramp yet to the slab and about a 14" gap from the ground level and the nearly 18" deep ruts left from the cement trucks and delivery vehicles in the now frozen mud on the pictured path to the barn. Even if that were all fixed, I'm not optimistic that I could keep things moving in the snow. I've got to go try to get both of our vans back onto dry pavement ( I had to park them on the gravel drive late yesterday). I suspect that I'm going to have problems. And this is from a guy who grew up and learned to drive in the NE.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:58 AM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWGirl View Post
Wow!! Thanks for the picture! I just can not get over the weather this year. Here in the PNW we have MUCH warmer than normal temps! I am just PRAYING that we have a cool summer as our mountain snow pack is TERRIBLE this year. That snow pack is our summer water. We have a hot summer, we are going to be in bad shape.

So you guys want to send the white stuff over here??

Sheila
No, we don't want to send the white stuff anywhere. We didn't want it in the first place. I understand that Vancouver really needs more snow for the Olympics.

Maybe you folks in the PNW are being impacted by the Global Warming. It looks like the rest of the country missed that.
Old 02-13-2010, 03:25 PM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
For the record, we have 8,250 sq feet of driveway. Judy and I shoveled ALL of it yesterday. We had a big party for our "baby's" 30th birthday here last night and there would have been no where to put all of the cars without clearing everything off. As it was, the cars were nose to tail in the circular drive..

While we had 12 + inches of snow on the grass, the concrete had been warm enough when the first snow fell that it melted. That left it about 9 inches deep on the driveway and it was extremely wet and very heavy. In fact, by the time that I got to the last of it around 6pm last night, there was run off underneath it and the bottom inch or so was more like a snow cone than snow.

If we could have just waited until today, the temperatures have climbed into the lower 50s and everything is melting. As a wise person once said "timing is everything."
Old 02-14-2010, 06:03 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
As a wise person once said "timing is everything."
Or, patience my son...
Old 02-14-2010, 04:59 PM   #12

We have been trying to head to Baton Rouge for some warm weather, good food and visit our friends. But the weather between central PA and there, has not been cooperating,

We would rather be at home in bad weather than on the road. .Last year on March 1st we pulled of the road in La Grange GA, S of Atlanta, in a snow storm at lunch and spent the night in a mall parking lot.

2005 Desert Fox 28KS
Joe O'Melia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:31 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe O'Melia View Post
We have been trying to head to Baton Rouge for some warm weather, good food and visit our friends. But the weather between central PA and there, has not been cooperating,
Be sure and let me know when yall get back down here Joe. I'd be nice to visit with yall again!
Old 02-15-2010, 11:08 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don (W5IT) View Post
Now I know it is not often you guys to the West of me get snow. But I sure wish yall would keep that white stuff over there.

Snowing again here a few miles North of Baton Rouge.

Needless to say this one armed gimp (For a couple more months) is gonna stay inside and watch Cathy and Ashley play with Kacey (The Boston Terrorist) in the snow thru a window.
Don.. I understand that last week snow fell in 49 of the 50 states

Hawaii was the exception.. and I'm not sure they did not have snow on some of their mountain tops.

So, everybody got it.. Where I'm at we got it.. Thankfully by the time I had to hit the road it had hit the ditch (Melted and run off) but we got snowed upon.

Worst part of the snow storm... I won't say.. But the 2nd worst part was snow on the 2-way Satllite Internet dish here at the park,,, blocked the signal so I had to wait for it to melt off before I could go online.