Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > REGIONAL CHAPTERS, CAMPOUTS & RALLIES > South Central Region > Texas Boomers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-12-2012, 06:53 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
55, depending on your trailer and where you are towing, the 4.10 may be more than OK. But up to 75 mph.....we keep our towing speed at 65 with the occasional burst up to 70 when passing.

With the 4.10 gears, you will find the fuel economy drops off when you get over 65 to 70 mpg

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2012, 08:56 PM   #44

Starts dropping after 60. The RV is so tall and pushes so much wind. The 75 was before I read about the tires.. Got lucky I guess, bought monitors for them now.
Invstr55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 09:05 PM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Wow, we finally got to take the test for it and passed the written portion. Now we have to go back and take the driving portion.

It is a major chore getting the dopes at the DPS to understand that the Class A we wanted was NOT A CHL (Commercial) and we were to only be tested on chapter 15 of the Drivers handbook. We finally had to get them to call Austin and talk to the CHL licensing office there to get them straightened out.

We even had the Drivers handbook and showed them were it a a regular Class A and was under section 521 of the Texas codes.

It is amazing that these idiots are paid to do their job.

Ken
Ken, can I come to your dps office since you've trained them already ?!?

The grand-girls have soccer right by the little Lake Lewisville Campground and they wanted to camp out with us this weekend if the weather holds out...

I talked to the 2 local license offices near me AND austin and got 3 different answers !!!

How are WE supposed to know how to interpret their ambiguous law if THEY don't know it !!!!

One said use the gvwr for truck and 5th wheel which is below 26,001 so I don't need cdl class A,
One said my towed vehicle is over 10k so I do need cdl class a

the other didn't know WHAT to say and basically said both Yes and No....

Bring it in and we'll tell you !!!! Jeeze !

Is ANYONE in gooberment competent ?!?!
Old 09-13-2012, 07:27 AM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
Is ANYONE in gooberment competent ?!?!

You just hit the root of the problem.

We have found out that there is one office that is pretty well up on the issue and it is the Livingston, TX office.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
Old 09-13-2012, 07:51 AM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks, but Dang! that's 4 hours and 200+ miles from me....

Would you mind giving me the simplified version of what we need ?
CDL - Class ????

We need to Study Sections:
Section 1 Introduction
Section 2 Driving Safely
Section 3 Transporting Cargo Safely
Section 6 Combination Vehicles ?

and tested on:
Section 11 Pre-Trip Vehicle Inspection Test
Section 12 Basic Vehicle Control Skills Test
Section 13 On Road Driving Test

of CDL http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/DriverL...ents/DL-7C.pdf

Thanks in advance and Much appreciated !
Old 09-13-2012, 09:14 AM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
For the non-commercial Class A all you need is the test over chapter 15 in the regular drivers hand book (I believe it is 14 in the CHL handbook).

The Road test is spelled out in the CHL handbook, but the test you are given varies a lot with the different offices.

Again, the left hand and right hands are not even on the same body....

Ken
Old 09-13-2012, 09:18 AM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
Just so long as their hands are not on MY body

Thanks !
Will be studying after I tow out to the campground !

WAIT !!!
Chapter 15 is entitled

CHAPTER 15
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS
FOR COMMERCIAL MOTOR VEHICLE

Mine is NOT a commercial vehicle - Jeeze louise !
Old 09-13-2012, 06:29 PM   #50
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Pick up the Commercial Drivers License Handbook at the DMV office. Read it, read it again, answer the practice questions until you get them right, then go to the office and take the Class A written test (Not CDL written test - and there should be a slight difference) You will not be sorry studying the CDL handbook. It has very good information in it and should make you a more cautious driver - maybe even a better driver.

Good luck.

p.s., everyone is correct in trying to find an inspector that knows the difference between a non-CDL and a CDL. Just show them the two different sections, 521 and 522 and explain you want to test in accordance with section 521.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:39 AM   #51

I went to scales today, 25,460 total, no fuel in fuel station and half tank fresh water. I have another 200 lbs or so loose stuff to pack but still under limit so long as I am careful. Surprised that my rear wheel weight was 2000 under limit and front was over 1000 under. 14000 on trailer axles so less than 5000 on each of my axles.. I feel good about all of these weights.
Invstr55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:54 PM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Friday we went to the Livingston DPS office and a very nice lady gave us the driving test. Took about 15 minutes...

4 right turns, a left turn, back up about 50', 3 more left turns and back to the testing office. Not a problem and we were out of there.

The wife passed hers as well...We both have our class A licenses now.

Ken
Old 10-14-2012, 03:33 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Friday we went to the Livingston DPS office and a very nice lady gave us the driving test. Took about 15 minutes...

4 right turns, a left turn, back up about 50', 3 more left turns and back to the testing office. Not a problem and we were out of there.

The wife passed hers as well...We both have our class A licenses now.

Ken

I'd bet that the Livingston office has at least as much experience administering the non commercial tests as any other. Plus, the small community seems to result in minimal wait times, etc.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:29 PM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post

I'd bet that the Livingston office has at least as much experience administering the non commercial tests as any other. Plus, the small community seems to result in minimal wait times, etc.

Rick
They might have a lot more experience because of the Escapees park that is located there.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:21 AM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
They might have a lot more experience because of the Escapees park that is located there.
They do several class A and B test each week and it is because eof the Escapees there.

Ken
Old 07-18-2013, 07:43 PM   #56

I know this is old, but I'm going to bump it.
Mainly because the Tx DL Handbook has changed. It just mentions Class A non-CDL licenses, but not how to study.
Our business is going to start selling new trailers, and if I'm going to help move them, I want to at least have a Class A non-CDL. However, if I dig deeper, I might find I need a CDL? Except for the fact that it is for dealer use.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
texas