Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Pop Up, Tent Trailer and Teardrop Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-10-2005, 05:01 PM   #1

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to George Miklas
I have done an internet search and have only two tire companies making the 20 x 8 x 10" high-speed, heavy duty, tire--Carlisle Tire Company and Duro Tire Company.

I've also found reports all over the net that Carlisle tires are blowing out and causing lots of vehicle damage to travel trailers.

My local tire dealers only have access to Carlisle and Tow Master (which I've never heard of). I need the 20 x 8 x 10" in a load range C and Carlisle offers it, Tow Master doesn't.

So my dilemna....Can anyone attest to the Carlisle 20 x 8 x 10" load range C tire? Does it have blow out problems like Carlisle's taller tires?

Thanks in advance,
George

George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2005, 05:01 PM   #2

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I have done an internet search and have only two tire companies making the 20 x 8 x 10" high-speed, heavy duty, tire--Carlisle Tire Company and Duro Tire Company.

I've also found reports all over the net that Carlisle tires are blowing out and causing lots of vehicle damage to travel trailers.

My local tire dealers only have access to Carlisle and Tow Master (which I've never heard of). I need the 20 x 8 x 10" in a load range C and Carlisle offers it, Tow Master doesn't.

So my dilemna....Can anyone attest to the Carlisle 20 x 8 x 10" load range C tire? Does it have blow out problems like Carlisle's taller tires?

Thanks in advance,
George

Old 04-11-2005, 03:29 PM   #3

When my wife and I bought our 2000 Starcraft Galaxcy (brand new) and after putting on only about 1500 miles both tires blew withing about 25 miles of eachother I called Carlise and told them that I had problems with their tires and was wondering if they would be standing behind them Well they did send me 2 moretires at no charge but I put a set of Duros on it and had them balanced upon instalation .They wore very very good and still have exelent tread on them They show no cracking and are always up on air no loss I would recomend them to anyone I also have a set of Goodyears on my 2619 Trail Manor and have also had very good luck with them after 2 years and sofar about 4000 miles

2006 30 ft Cherokee TT
j2detoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 09:06 AM   #4

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Problem solved! A local tire dealer had 20.5 x 8 x 10 load range C, D, and E in stock, brand name Nanco. The salesman told me that they were all the same price ($39.95), and recommended the load range E which would stay cooler. An observation I made was that the LR E tires have to be inflated to 90 p.s.i. to carry 1535#. Another observation was that none of my rims are stamped with a maximum pressure. So since the LR C tires were rated 1105# @ 50 p.s.i., the tire mounter determined that I could run these tires at 55 p.s.i. and be safe with my load.

Well it made it home just fine, but...
Does anyone have a problem with 55 p.s.i. on these tires?
Does anyone have a problem with me inflating the tires to say 75 p.s.i.?

George
Old 04-12-2005, 06:05 PM   #5
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
George;

some where in one of your cabinets should be the recommended tires and pressures. If not I would contact Jayco, mainly to be sure you have the right size tires. If the tires are stamped for pressure, then thats what you should use to fill them. I have been told by the folks that did the weight testing for us when we were in Nashville ( Blue Ox) , that if you have the right tires and load ranges then the tire determines the pressure because that is what they use to determine if your tires were misused. Let me know. Its looking good buddy.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:00 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I ran across the following table which might be handy. It lists the max load for the various LR tires and the pressure required for that load range tire to support the load.

Size 20.5 x 8.0 x 10

LR-B 905 lbs at 35 PSI
LR-C 1105 lbs at 50 PSI
LR-D 1330 lbs at 70 PSI
LR-E 1535 lbs at 90 PSI
LF-F 1675 lbs at 105 PSI

I would imagine if you had the Load Range E tire and a load of 1100 lbs you would be safe to inflate it to a pressure above 50 psi. The higher the pressure above 50 (the mininum pressure to support the load) the cooler the tire will run, although it will be a firmer ride.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:58 PM   #7

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Jim,

The tire pressure is listed as 50 psi on the Manufacturer's frame plate.

Joe,

I inflated the tires to 75 psi tonight. I feel more comfortable with this higher weight. Although the C rated tires appeared to handle the unloaded trailer, I'm sure that overheating would be possible when pulling a loaded trailer. I'm comfortable with the E rated tires at 75, and the extra margin for an unbalanced load.

George
Old 04-15-2005, 07:28 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
George,

I agree exactly with what you're doing. Since the nameplate said 50, it's fair to assume from the chart you had origonally LR-C tires that had to carry 1105 lbs. Running 75 in the LR-E's should make you good to go with at least 1330 per tire.

Now have fun camping.

Joe
Old 04-16-2005, 02:54 AM   #9

This is just my 2cents on tires.
My dealer put on a nice set of radial tire on our pu. I get alot smoother ride with these tires.

1999 Ford E-150
We4camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 01:23 PM   #10

We have those Carlisle tires on our 1979 Apache Ramada and have had no issues in towing over the past five (5) camping seasons.

We check the air pressure of the tires before leaving on a trip and check them again when we leave the campground as an incorrect air pressure (either too high or too low)is a major contributing factor to tire failure. Our tires are 70 psi models. We also clean and re-grease our bearings on a regular basis so as to ensure a proper tire rotation and a minimization of tire heat, another major cause of tire wear and failure.

Lastly, when the trailer is sitting, we cover the tires so as to prevent UV damage and cracking due to exposure to the Sun.

Mike '63
Bonnie '64
John '88
Katharine '91
James '92
1979 Apache Ramada
2003 Chevy Astro van

Bonnie '64
Apache Adventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 06:05 PM   #11

Beware that not all 20.5x8x10 tires are manufactured to the same specs. What I mean by this is the Duro tires have a maximum width of 8 inches while the Carlisle have maximum width of 8.7 inches. Before you select a tire manufacturer, make certain the new tires will fit without rubbing against the wheel wells. Last year I changed my tires to non Duros unaware of the different widths. This spring when I repacked my wheel bearings, I found the new tires were rubbing against the backside of the wheel wells. After doing a lot of research I discovered the only Duro maintains and 8 inch maximum width throughout all load ranges where other manufacturers increase this width with the higher the load range. I also discovered the overall diameter of the tires changed from manufacturer to manufacturer. While Duros in this size had a maximum diameter of 20.5 inches other manufactures have a 21.5 inch diameter. I would therefore suggest you closely check the specs of each tire to ensure it will fit in the wheel wells of your trailer.