Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Pop Up, Tent Trailer and Teardrop Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:54 PM   #1

Hello,
I am new to the site.
I would like to know if anyone has experience retrofitting a Jayco with a dexter axle to brakes. I am totally new to electric brakes and have a ton to learn.
Very capable of the do-it yourself. Just lacking the 101. Northern tool has a 7in kit from reliable for 200 which includes the hubs drums and brakes. Iw ould then need new wheels to go to the five lug. This is providing the backing plate fits. And in the current hubs match the new ones specs.

What is is needed on the trailer?

It is a 95 Jayco Eagle 10st. about 1500 dry. Maybe 1000 more loaded.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2008, 10:06 PM   #2

Hammond let me welcome you to IRV2.
You will need to look at your axle and see if there is a square plate with 4 holes in it just behind the hubs. This is what the backing plate will bolt to.

Tom

00 Chevy 2500 6.0L 3.73
Sunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 01:41 PM   #3

The flange is there. Northern Toll has a 200 dollar kit which includes the hubs and brakes.

1. Is the northern tool brand OK(search there site "7 in brake") I think its "tie down" brand
2. Are all the flange hove the same bolt pattern?

Expert help at nothern says the bolt pattern of the flange is on a 4in bolt circle. Have measured mine yet.

My next 5 steps(hopefully tomorrow) are 1. Measure the bolt diameter of flange. 2 measure the spidle diameter 3. Measure the seal diameter 4. Measure hub length 5. call tie down.

Out side of that what else is needed? Battery on the tralier?

Obviously wiring of the trailer

Am I missing anything.

Is a break awy needed?
Old 02-01-2008, 04:15 PM   #4

I don't know what state you are in but most states don't require brakes on trailer under 3500 lb. Sense your trailer is less than this you may not the break away or battery. Unless you want the battery to run things in the popup you don't need it unless you put on the break away switch. Hubs 12499 are (Bolt Circle Pattern (in.)) 4 on 4 so if you have 4 holes wheels you should not have to change. You do have 12 in wheels??

Tom

00 Chevy 2500 6.0L 3.73
Sunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 04:49 AM   #5

I am in WI. You are correct I dont need the electric brakes. However I a only using a windstar. One of the options they put on the factory tow was the rear disk(i dont have). The conversion kit for the trailer is 200 plus another 130for the newer five lug wheels and tires(currenly have 4 lug - kit comes with five lug) plus abut 100 for the controller. So I will only be about 430 deep into the conversion
Old 03-03-2008, 01:11 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
I did what you are wanting to do a number of years ago. I had a 1996 Jayco and got a kit from Northern that had the 4 bolt hubs so I didn't have to change wheels. Everything bolted right up and worked good. I did add a 7 pin trailer connector to replace the 4 pin and also added a 12 volt charge wire because I had a 3 way fridge. I was towing with a S10 PU and wanted the extra braking here in the mountians.
Old 04-26-2008, 01:00 PM   #7

I have just bought a 99 Jayco and I was going to put the surge brake kit on mine seeing as the trailer don't weight that much it would work good and it would also be cheaper then going with the electric I also have a 95 Explorer and there isn't enough leg room to put the brake controller anyways so look in to that this way you also don't have to do any extra wiring on both the trailer and the van so check out this "Tie Down 7in. Hydraulic Drum Brake Kit, Model# 52123" it is suppose to be a complete kit for just $379.99