Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Pop Up, Tent Trailer and Teardrop Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:24 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Adding A/C...

We have a 96 Starcraft pop-up we bought a few years ago from the original owners and it's in great shape. Only issue is I can't take much of the heat above 72 so I don't get to do camping much. Wife has decided to sell her pop up to look for another one with A/C. I am disappointed to have her do this but she wants me to go camping more with the family.

I've gone to two RV centers and both have told me that it could be done but I would need to check with the manufacturer to make sure it could be done and I may need to add supports across the roof. Now I don't understand this. shouldn't they know from selling pop ups if the roof will hold the weight? I also have never seen roof supports on unit with A/C. I am sure the factory doesn't make units with A/C differently then standard units. Or do they?

I would much rather have A/C installed on this unit but seems like the two places I went to didn't really want to do it. I mean @ first they were like no it can't be done then when I questioned it and pushed it a bit they give me the other answer above. I have placed a few calls into Starcraft with no return calls from Technical.

Any help here please or do I just need to look for another unit with A/C???

poppatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2012, 10:48 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Man, 40 lookers and no one has added A/C???

Old 02-22-2012, 11:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppatello View Post
We have a 96 Starcraft pop-up we bought a few years ago from the original owners and it's in great shape. Only issue is I can't take much of the heat above 72 so I don't get to do camping much. Wife has decided to sell her pop up to look for another one with A/C. I am disappointed to have her do this but she wants me to go camping more with the family.

I've gone to two RV centers and both have told me that it could be done but I would need to check with the manufacturer to make sure it could be done and I may need to add supports across the roof. Now I don't understand this. shouldn't they know from selling pop ups if the roof will hold the weight? I also have never seen roof supports on unit with A/C. I am sure the factory doesn't make units with A/C differently then standard units. Or do they?

I would much rather have A/C installed on this unit but seems like the two places I went to didn't really want to do it. I mean @ first they were like no it can't be done then when I questioned it and pushed it a bit they give me the other answer above. I have placed a few calls into Starcraft with no return calls from Technical.

Me and my ex had a really nice PUP, but no AC and we installed one our own way. He was extremely crafty and he was able to go under the dinette and install a window unit and he did a darn good job. If you know someone handy you don't even need to fool with a roof top unit. A 5000 BTU window unit will make that thing very cool in the hottest of temps. He cut a hole under the bench, mounted the unit and it looked very nice.

If you are interested in any details, let me know. I will call him and ask him exactly how he did it.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:00 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
On an older pop up, if it was not designed for a roof top A/C, your best bet will be to install a "window unit" in the end. You may need to rig a swing spare tire rack.

ken
Old 02-23-2012, 09:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
On an older pop up, if it was not designed for a roof top A/C, your best bet will be to install a "window unit" in the end. You may need to rig a swing spare tire rack.

ken
Yep, hat is exactly what my ex did. I am very picky about how my camper looked and I have to say he did a quality job. He finished it off nicely and you didn't really even notice it was there except for the cool air inside!

Ours wasn't very old, but we were not prepared to pay over a grand to have a rooftop installed on it. We got a window unit for a hundred bucks or so and he did all the work. Couldn't beat it.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:45 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Well that would work but I'm just not that handy in that way...
poppatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Well that would work but I'm just not that handy in that way...
Do you have any handy friends? If so, you can probably pay someone to do it for you and even with the cost of a new 5000 BTU window unit you'll still be in the black....
Old 03-12-2012, 07:56 PM   #8

iRV2 No Limits Club
I added AC to our teardrop trailer, and the advantage to the way I did it is that there is NO load bearing on the roof and it is a LOT less expensive than an RV AC. The write up is On the T&TTT forum Teardrops n Tiny Travel Trailers • View topic - AC Hacking a Figidaire 5000 BTU
Old 03-12-2012, 09:30 PM   #9

Pop, double check and call Starcraft or Jayco (Jayco owns Starcraft) to see if that roof can handle a unit. My 1994 Jayco Eagle 10 was already designed for one so I would think a 96 would be.. however,.. check to make sure. If it is, its really not that hard to install. basicly, in a nutshell, the roof vent comes off the roof and exposes a 14' by 14' square. The upper unit sits above and the lower unit bolts to it from the inside sandwitching a gasket down to the camper making a seal. The wiring will come down and plug into a 20amp plug if its equipped in your camper. If not you will need to either convert your power box up to a 30amp plug, or run the A/C cable all the way out to the post. Good luck!!
Old 05-28-2012, 09:15 AM   #10

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:

We just bought one of the portable air conditioners that you can plug in and wheel around for our Niagara. You can get them with air and heat and they don't generally use more than about 15 amps peak.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:49 AM   #11

I think the first thing you should do before making a decision is remove the entire vent assembly to see what type of support you have around the vent area. You'll be able to tell is its designed to handle an AC unit. If it is, then you'll need to figure how you'll run electircal wire to the unit and mount the thermostate or get one with a remote thermostate. If the framing is not there, maybe you can re-enforce the opening, or run to the RV store and get a roll of that putty and replace your vent and hope it don't leak. Good Luck!
Old 05-28-2012, 09:56 AM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
I wouldn't spend the money on a roof-top unit. I'd go the route of a window unit - find a friend who knows their way around a workshop and you'd knock it out in a day and save BIG bucks. Buy the friend a steak dinner!

GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:14 PM   #13

Have to agree with the others, the roof top unit would be my last choice. The roll around units are a little more expensive than a window unit (still not nearly as expensive as a roof top unit) but all you have to do for the roll around is make a way to route the exhaust. That's not real hard.