Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Pop Up, Tent Trailer and Teardrop Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-21-2005, 08:30 AM   #1

Just spent the weekend in Fort Mountain State Park in Georgia. Ended up packing up camp in the rain. Now the camper is sitting out in thunderstorms at the house waiting for the weather to let up. It should be under the carport nice and protected....

I can hear the pencil as it makes its mark on the checklist.....

Thing '74
WicAndThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2005, 08:30 AM   #2

Just spent the weekend in Fort Mountain State Park in Georgia. Ended up packing up camp in the rain. Now the camper is sitting out in thunderstorms at the house waiting for the weather to let up. It should be under the carport nice and protected....

I can hear the pencil as it makes its mark on the checklist.....

Thing '74
WicAndThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 06:44 PM   #3

I don't miss the canvas myself.
I didn't mind the rain as much as the set-up/tear down time for one night.
Although I did by a small backpack tent for my dual-sport motorcycle,,,haven't used it yet.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:20 PM   #4

My Checklist ran out....
i had to buy a hardside
Old 02-24-2005, 08:32 AM   #5

I don't ever worry about wet canvas...Our pop-up doesn't have any canvas! It has ABS panels for the upper sidewalls, roof and bed ends. Only thing I need to worry about is the wet bed roof when folding it down. For that I just use a cheap shower curtain liner from Dollar Tree and spread it on the beds. The shower curtain liners (2) are used as a privacy curtain for the back half of the pop-up (porti-potti sits there). I have seen our pop-up survive micro-bursts of 100 mph with no problem and I ALWAYS leave it opened up, year round. The hard sides have allowed me to insulate the side walls to make camping in the heat & cold more comfortable. And it no longer "sweats" inside (a common problem with Apaches). It always seems to rain when we camp and having the hard-sided pop-up eliminates alot of the discomforts that we see canvas pop-ups (and tenters) enduring, in regards to both wind and rain. You can still buy Apaches (great to tow but really takes 2 folks to set up although I have set ours up by myself) even through they were last made in the early '80's. There is a guy out west that is making one similar to the Apache (pricey) that has managed to iron out some of the problems associated with Apaches. There are also a few other hard sided pop-up made. But to me a Trailmanor is a type of pop-up too. I do like how a pop-up keeps the fuel consumption down compared to a full-sized trailer (wind resistance and larger tow vehicle).
Old 02-26-2005, 08:41 PM   #6

That's one thing I like about my hybrid, having the option to close up the ends in the event of inclement weather...and using it as a TT.

I'm not ready to completely give up canvas just yet.
Between Trips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 06:37 PM   #7

Like Wavemaker, my checklist ran out also. The only thing I miss about the pop up is the ease of towing.

& 2 DD's, plus the yellow camping labs.
Sundevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 04:55 AM   #8

That is one thing that is true.. the popup was like it wasent behind the truck very easiliy pulled, now with my 5th wheel you can defentilly
feel it behind the truck...
Old 03-31-2005, 06:46 AM   #9

Well I gave up the PU because of rain, storms (no sleep) and tear down, set up time.

PU are muchbetter the a tent!!!

If I only camped 2 or 3 times a summer, I would still have it.

BTW - I can't tell there is a 5vr behind my truck when driving Thats whats nice about a one ton diesel.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:18 PM   #10

Spent 2 years camping in our PU and really loved it, except, the storms, especially those that creep up on you at night, and the high winds that go with those storms. Kansas is really good about dangerous storms. I used to be called Yo-Yo because some weekends out I would pop up and down twice to keep from getting shook so hard the poles would bend! Our checklist ran its course also. Traded the PU for a 30' TT last July. Yes we miss the ease and tent feeling of the PU, but I'm having more fun now not worrying about all the storms! Now they call me ex-Yo-Yo!

2004 Cougar 293 BHS
Camping Nutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 01:10 PM   #11

We are owners of a 1979 Apache Ramada, a "hard-sided" camper with aluminum side walls, ABS thermoplastic bed ends and an ABS thermoplastic road cover (roof). We have never had a "sweating" problem with our Apache, due to the air circulation provided by its large, residential type, sliding windows and screens which, incidentally, allow for a "suitcase" air conditioner to be placed in the sliding grooves in a manner similar to placing an A/C unit in a home. The Apaches are reasonably priced and can be found on the main Apache site www.apachepopups.net

The manufacturer of the contemporary version of the classic Apache is BaseCamp RV located in the Denver, CO areaand operated by brothers Lonnie and Scott Mason. They build a great "solid sate" pop-up camper which can be viewed at the www.basecamprv.com site.

Bonnie '64
Apache Adventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 11:01 AM   #12

Hey how is it going every one.
My name is Jeff
I work at a R.V Dealership in Sacramento.

I have a great solution to the soft sided collapsible. Why get something that you will have to truly endure the weather in when you can get a 1 - 4 Person A liner trailer. They are a hard sided collapsible trailer. They are a great way to stay away from the soft sided trailers and achieve a low profile tow vehicle as well as being extremely light weight.

They are all aluminum exterior unit. They have a vacuum bonded side wall witch gives them there light weight capabilities. This company tries to keep them simple so there are fewer things to go wrong. In essence making a worry free camping trip.

There largest model would way 1750 pounds fully loaded. That would be the bathroom shower model known as the LXE.

We also offer many other models If you have any questions
Feel free to call me @ (916) 927-6537

Thank you
Jeff