Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Pop Up, Tent Trailer and Teardrop Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-04-2006, 08:23 AM   #15

Hi George,

We are towing with an '06 Caravan so we will be of limited help. However, I did a lot of research before deciding it was OK to tow with the van. I've heard about the history of tranny problems.

Apparently 90% of automatic transmission failures are heat-related. To that end, I have learned two things - have a decent transmission cooler installed, and a transmission temperature gauge too. This is a case where it's impossible to have too much information.

Take care.

2006 Dodge Caravan 3.3L
JD & Beastlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2006, 12:06 PM   #16

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to George Miklas
JD,

It sure sounds like you did your homework, and that will pay off for you. My 93 4-cylinder, 5-speed, Plymouth Voyager fell victim to a deer. Covered with "comprehensive" insurance coverage, my insurance carrier chose to total it. That was a sad day because that van got 27 MPG highway, and 21 MPG highway towing, and Daimler-Chrysler nor Ford make minivans with 5-speed manual transmission in the USA anymore. Did GM ever offer a 5-speed manual in an Astro/Safari?

GM

George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 02:26 PM   #17

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
It sure sounds like you did your homework, and that will pay off for you.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, George... we certainly did try. Luckily we have friends that are experienced pop-up campers and we took their advice when choosing a brand. We even had the benefit of dealer research - my wife's folk bought a TT two years ago and they looked at all the local dealers. The one they (and we) went with is a cut above, in my opinion. All that was left for us was to choose the model! And pay for it, of course.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
Did GM ever offer a 5-speed manual in an Astro/Safari? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think so. I don't think those GM models were ever offered in a 4-banger model, though.

Take care.

2006 Dodge Caravan 3.3L
JD & Beastlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 01:01 AM   #18

Hi Yeah I know I'm coming late. But I always say better late than not at all.
We have a 02 Dodge Caravan with the large 6 an we're rated to tow 3800#. Though I wouldn't eveer do that. The popup we're hopefully getting next month will weigh in at about 3000#. The actual weight is 2820# but we're adding an ac unit with the heat strip and I think they weigh about 200#. Have to add my wifes weight, dogs any supplies and plus 150# extra of my own. golly, that darn near brings me to the weight limit. Just may have to leave self, dog an food home. No I gotta go to crank it up and then crank braces down then do everything in reverse when packing up. Well its better than setting up the tent. BTW anyone interested id buy under used tent, pads, cots etc, Hardly used and will sell cheap.
Tom
Old 05-24-2008, 09:28 AM   #19

Use this webpage for towing weights
http://trailmanor.com/WebDocs/Campin...ngPDF/2001.pdf

Dodge caravan is listed at 3500 pounds
Old 05-26-2008, 05:46 PM   #20

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to George Miklas
This thread is really old. We've since moved on from the Caravan and Pop Up, but with the present and future gas prices, we're looking back with remorse about 21 MPG pulling the pop up.

Oh well... we might go back to tent camping real soon and travel in my VW Jetta.

GM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MSKLAAS:
Use this webpage for towing weights
http://trailmanor.com/WebDocs/Campin...ngPDF/2001.pdf

Dodge caravan is listed at 3500 pounds </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote