Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Pop Up, Tent Trailer and Teardrop Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2013, 06:38 PM   #1

Atwood heater not working.

2001 Coleman popup chayenne model.Today I tried the furnace although it produced no heat. I followed the operating instructions: pilot lit, control knob set on high. A/c set to warm and the thermostat set to heat. The furnace fan comes on and the furnace clicks several times but no heat. Any suggestions? I have a good flow of gas the stove works fine.
David150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2013, 06:39 PM   #2

Sorry its a Atwood model 7916-11 furnace
David150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:09 PM   #3
PEJ

I have the same furnace. Since the fan comes on and you hear the click of the igniter, you have the breaker and thermostat on correctly.

For lots of detail on operation and maintenance see this:

http://manuals.adventurerv.net/Atwoo...nuals-2007.pdf

The normal operation sequence is as follows:

1. A timing circuit allows the blower to purge the
chamber (15-17 seconds)
2. The board supplies current to the gas valve and
causes it to open.
3. As the valve opens, the board sends a high voltage
spark to the electrode at the burner. The board
detects the presence of a flame. If the flame is not
sensed after approximately six seconds, the board
will lock out (three try for ignition, one hour lockout
and then three retry), shutting off power to the
valve.
4. If the system does not ignite and the thermostat
remains closed, the blower will remain on until the
thermostat is reset manually.

This forth step is code words for turn down your thermostat so the fan finally turns off since the furnace has not lit! Do not wait for an hour.

The likely problem is no propane at your furnace because there is air in the line. If you have not used your furnace this air has to be purged out. In my case there is an inside stove hookup beyond my furnace which I only use to purge the line. I connect my stove and turn it on trying to light it until it finally lights. Then I know propane is in the pipes close to my furnace and (almost to my fridge too).

Then turn up the thermostat and let the furnace try again to light. It may take two or three times, but it should light.

I was experiencing an issue where mine would light sometimes, but not other times. I decided to remove the igniter unit from the furnace and clean it. I carefully removed the screws and then slid out the igniter being very careful not to break or crack the porcelain insulator (see service manual). There is a small fireproof gasket that separated somewhat, but it seems okay.
I sanded the electrode tips and put it all back together. Now it mostly lights on the first spark.

Good luck
PEJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atwood, heater