Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Pop Up, Tent Trailer and Teardrop Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2005, 11:46 AM   #1

looking for a used Bal Leveler. if any has one to sell please let me know! thanks
ric
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2005, 11:46 AM   #2

looking for a used Bal Leveler. if any has one to sell please let me know! thanks
ric
Old 09-06-2005, 12:56 PM   #3

Just my 2 cents- I prefer putting a few boards under the wheel and pulling the trailer on top using the van rather than jacking up the car afterward ( I found the BAL got in the way after setup). Just my opinion, and I think I'm in the minority there... stacked long 1x6" boards seem better to me.

1998 Coleman Cheyenne
zarfus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 05:07 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
One of iRV2's sponsors, http://RVUpgrades.com sells a leveler that does not get in the way like zarfus said that the Bal does. I've not yet tried this new leveler, but you should go to the site and take a look at it. This item is on my list of items to try with my PUP. Here is a picture of it

<A HREF="http://www.rvupgradestore.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=166" TARGET=_blank>
http://www.rvupgradestore.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=166
</A>

George
George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 06:57 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
Here's an ad for a used Bal Leveler....the guy used it twice.

http://www.popupexplorer.com/classif...asp?record=739

George
Old 09-07-2005, 11:53 AM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by George Miklas:
Here's an ad for a used Bal Leveler....the guy used it twice.

http://www.popupexplorer.com/classif...asp?record=739

George </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
this one has sold already. but thanks!
ric
Old 09-07-2005, 04:46 PM   #7
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
Well like i said before, the Lego blocks (Lynx Levelers) or 2X6 cut are just as good. the levelers come in a bag 1ft. square , stores easy no mess. after a few times you look at your level and know how many to use then back up onto them, no cranking and a short time in the rain. Wal Mart and Camping World both sell them, and any RV store.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:43 AM   #8

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick A
The leveling blocks get my vote as well. Used them my pop-up and still using them with my 5ver. Just build a pyramid with them and start backing until it is level. They hold up very well and store neatly in a carry bag for easy storage. I found the ones from Walmart to be more durable than ones from Camping World.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:59 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
Hi Jim and Rick,

I have had experiences with both the 2x6's and Lynx Levelers and would like to offer my experiences.

Positive: 2x6's are free if you get cutoffs from a construction site
Negative: when 2x6's are stacked, they slide and rotate when the trailer tire exerts force upon them. I've tried putting plywood under them, but the Lynx slides on the plywood. I also made plywood inserts to put on the top Lynx so that the tire tread was not stressed.

Positive: Lynx Levelers are very light weight, store somewhat compactly, and have a nice bag
Negative: 1.) Lynx Levelers break in the middle when you use them on uneven surfaces, the company has a good guarantee and has a good reputation for replacing broken pieces, but the day that it breaks, its an inconvenience 2.) you need to use ALOT of them to build a 4" rise. A 1" rise can be accomplished with one, a 2" rise is accomplished with three, a 3" rise is accomplished with six, a 4" rise is accomplished with 10.

I presently have 2x6s and some Lynx to level and put under the stabilizers on my PUP. But the negatives I listed above are the reasons that I'm excited about trying the wedge levelers that I have referenced above. If the wedges hold up on uneven surfaces, I think they will be the proverbial cats meow.

George
Old 09-11-2005, 04:24 AM   #10

Pieces of wood, Lynx blocks maybe great to get the right height for you wagon..... I tried the wood route, then the Lego route, BUT they dont stop the wheels from going forward or back. I cut a lynx in half, bolted it to another block, great for stopping one direction. BUT you cant fit the half on the front of the system to stop that travel. BAL blocks both ways, and doesnt get in my way, the total fits under the wheel well, nothing sticks out. See photos on my site. If anyone wants some lynx come pick them up. I will give mine away for free. The level wedge is good also for raising heights and were designed for tandem wheels, just to save jacking the flat tire..but again doesnt stop travel. If you have 12 inch wheels, you need to modify the BAL. Heat and bend the wheel contact area to a slightly down position. Then they under without sticking on the tire. 15 inch tires... leave them alone... Just having a great weekend time at Watkins Mill CG, here in MO.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:50 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
A good friend of mine brought something to my attention.....someone might misunderstand how my Lynx Levelers broke. Afterall, I did own a motor home, travel trailer, and two pop up trailers and I didn't previously specify how/when they broke. So...My Lynx Levelers broke when I used them to level my Travel Trailer. Our sight was slightly uneven with what appeared to be dried mud and gravel in the shape of a tire track. My TT's 13" tires were rated for a maximum of 1100#.

It is safe to say that a maximum of 1100# broke the Lynx Leveler.

I think the Lynx Levelers are a great product and a great idea for light weight leveling blocks. If you always use them on asphalt site pads, I'm sure they will last a long long time.

George
Old 09-24-2005, 05:51 PM   #12

I use a board(s) on the doorside of the trailer to ensure my BAL leveler gets used on the roadside for every trip. Keeps that greasy screw out of the way.

Sorry, but until we move to a trailer with more than one axle, this BAL is not for sale.
Between Trips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 09:17 AM   #13

thanks for all the replies! i got a new one. took it to work an had the welder to reenforce it were they say it breaks at. havent camped yet but used it in the driveway. this lookes like it is going to lots better an faster. thanks again
ric