RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Pop Up, Tent Trailer and Teardrop Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-24-2019, 05:38 PM   #1

Bathroom or not?

My husband & I are looking into getting something the size of a teardrop or slightly larger. We have never pulled anything and are a little uncomfortable with the blackwater thing. I would like the convenience of a bathroom in case of rain or possibly middle of the night. But wed really like to avoid dealing with black water. I have seen options of bags that can be thrown away. Are there a lot of issues in dealing with models with a toilet? I dont love public bathrooms, but Id rather use campground bathrooms than have problems with things leaking in my camper. What are your opinions and experiences of camper bathrooms? Would you recommend having one or avoiding it? Were just really afraid of problems or mess. I like the idea of having my own shower. Thanks

Sweetea is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2019, 06:14 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The black water is not an issue. Leave it closed until you are at least 1/2 full. The day before you plan to dump the black water close the gray water and build up a level. Dump the black water, flush the tank and then dump the gray water. Wear gloves, but all of the stink stuff is supposed to be inside the hose. Disconnect at the trailer and cap the connection, lift the hose to drain to the drain point, cap the hose and put it away in the appropriate the locker.

I paid a lot of $$$ for my bathroom and I do not use public toilets and showers.

Ken

Old 09-24-2019, 06:20 PM   #3

You get over "black water" very quickly. In hundreds of nights in our rig, I've never seen black water....except for the one time that I DID! Hahaha.

The advantages of having a bathroom far outweigh any potential problems.
Rolling Ragu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 06:24 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetea View Post
But wed really like to avoid dealing with black water.
Turn "we" into "he" and problem solved. At least that's how Mrs. B. handled it.

You don't have to use it on every trip. Better to have it and not use it than wish you had it though. It's no big deal after a few trips.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 07:51 PM   #5

Thumbs up Thanks to all!

Thank you for your responses. I do like the option of having a bathroom. And maybe it is not going to be as gross as I envisioned. And I do like the idea of Mr handling it! Lol. I do think I would rather have the option than not, especially on a dark and stormy night.
Sweetea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 07:59 PM   #6

Having to bag it up would be far worse than pulling a lever and draining a camper. There really is nothing to it. A few times and it will be 2nd nature. {or natures #2]
Old 09-24-2019, 09:02 PM   #7

A quality black tank hose has the best fittings.....such as Camcos Rhino Flex....
Old 09-25-2019, 10:27 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't think I've ever seen a teardrop with a bathroom, so that might answer your question.
Old 09-26-2019, 12:02 AM   #9
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
I have a girlfriend who bought a T@B a year ago. Just loves it. It has what's called a wet bath - i.e. toilet & shower is all 1 tiny room. She was a bit unsure of dealing with the waste disposal at first too, but after a couple trips out, it became very easy. Don't let having a restroom scare you. As others have said it's very easy to deal with. And not having to traipse out to the bath/showerhouse at 2AM when it's raining & you have to pee is PRICELESS!

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 12:27 AM   #10

You might want to consider a portable "Cassette" style toilet. One example of many available:

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Standar.../dp/B004SFKJIQ

Some campers like my A-Frame come from the factory with one.

Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 09:08 PM   #11

A number of popups have a cassette toilet built in. I never had one but sure wish I did over the porta-potti. The cassette looks pretty easy to dump versus the porta-potti.
Old 10-02-2019, 11:09 PM   #12

Mid Atlantic Campers
We have a small camper with a cassette toilet (the shower is an outside shower that we haven't used). We use the toilet at night, especially in bear country and only do #1. It's been convenient and makes my other half happy. Our toilet is tucked in a cabinet so we can hide it during the day. You'll find privacy is the biggest issue in teardrop and small campers.

SandyClick image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20180707_154820.jpeg
Views:	17
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	262261
sandushinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 12:09 AM   #13

After small tents and using the woods, tents and porta potties, I don't think I would even consider a camper without a bathroom. All our RV's have had them since '78.

Black tanks aren't really all that bad, I use disposable rubber gloves while dumping and throw them in the garbage can when finished.

Steve

1994 30' Monaco Dynasty, 5.9 230 HP Cummins, MD 3060, 1992 Geo Tracker.
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 04:52 AM   #14

You made it and you wiped it.

The black tank is nothing to be feared. Just get a box of disposable gloves and double/triple glove if it makes you more comfortable. After touching the hose, valve, etc...just take off the top of gloves and you've got a fresh uncontaminated set on underneath.

patperry2766 is offline   Reply With Quote