Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Pop Up, Tent Trailer and Teardrop Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-30-2003, 04:41 PM   #1

Hi,

I am trying to come up with a solution for a bike rack on the back of a Coleman pop-up trailer. Any suggestions or solutions that you have used ?

Blee
Ottawa, Ontario

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2003, 04:41 PM   #2

Hi,

I am trying to come up with a solution for a bike rack on the back of a Coleman pop-up trailer. Any suggestions or solutions that you have used ?

Blee
Ottawa, Ontario

Old 05-30-2003, 05:07 PM   #3

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Blee Ottawa:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No doubt you'll get replies saying you can't do it but here's a link to one Coleman owner who DID come up with such an arrangement and has used it extensively with success .....

http://www.2manytoyz.com/racks.html

Bill in Ontario
2000 Coleman Santa Fe
"We can't help it ... we're men." (Red Green)

Oz & Us Campsite
The Magical Flying Camper Club

Oz & Us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2003, 09:19 PM   #4

While I won't say it can't be done I will say the odds are against a sucessful bike rack on the back of a PU.
First of all the rear bumpers on most PU's are not made to carry the weight of a rack and say two bikes.
So it's modify the rear end of the camper, usually with c channel or tubing back into the frame and replacing the bumper with heavier material to get enough support for the rack.
Then there's the old buggaboo with tongue weight. As in most cases the rack will be about as far from the axle as the hitch you'll lose a pound in tongue weight for every pound on the back. In my estimation 20-40 pounds for the rack and framing to support it and 40-60 pounds for two bikes. That's from 60 to 100 pounds off the tongue. A lot to make up especially on units that atr tongue light from the beginning.

For those of you "on a diet" and watching what you feed your PU that's a lot of cargo carrying capacity down the tubes.

One reminder, I found over 40 companies that build RV/TV mounted bike racks, but only one that builds one specifically for use on the back of a PU and when you call them they give you the third degree over whether or not you really know what your doing and will check the PU for safe operation.

It can be made to work, but it's definitely not a bolt on and drive modification.
Old 05-30-2003, 10:04 PM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Blee Ottawa:
Hi,

Blee
Ottawa, Ontario<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ever consider installing a receiver hitch to the front of your TV? No weight problems with a front mounted bike rack if it's possible to mount the hitch on the front of the TV, and as an added benefit, it's much easier to spot your PU on your campsite by pushing it in,rather than backing it.

David & Kathy
'98 SunRidge
'96 Jeep Grand Cherokee

'98 SunRidge
Primetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 12:20 PM   #6

We put a bike rack on the back our niagra. My husband had to strength the bumper and we bought the cheap one from campers world that had the u-hooks. We had no problem and just removed of course the bikes and top portion of the bike rack before we glided out the bed.

Bonnie1000 PUT, 2002Sportsman2505qss
1999 F-150
Former 1999 Coleman Niagra
Where ever we roam we're always at home

1999 F-150
Sportsman2505qss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 01:31 PM   #7

Check out http://www.toplinemfg.com look at item #FC1800. it mounts to the frame, not the bumper. You need to make sure that you do not off set the hitch weight so much that it causes sway roblems.

Chuck Roder, Wife & Son
2003 Chevy TrailBlazer EXT V8
2003 Starcraft 21RB
High Springs, Florida.
Click here to visit our camper page
Old 06-01-2003, 04:32 PM   #8

I'll be the first nay sayer then. We do have a rear mounted bike hitch for our jayco. We towed this thing over 1000 miles with NO SWAY. Added the rack and we were scared sh**less within 10 minutes of getting on the highway. Like the others say do some research and check out the alternatives.

http://luvourjayco.irv2.com/
Old 06-02-2003, 04:34 AM   #9

I installed a receiver to the back of our Utah 2 years ago and bought a 4 bike carrier. I noticed a little more sway than before and found out I was more tense driving. Last year we hit some grooves in the highway or a bump at a bridge and thought we were going to lose everything, the Utah tried passing us up This spring we were lucky and got a free Alumatite roof and bought the Yakima cross bars for the roof. I went to ebay and bought 4 lockjaw bike racks, 2 ski holders and 2 crossbars for $172. I sold the ski holders and crossbars for $72. Not bad, $100 for $400 worth of bike racks. We will try this new setup the last week of June. Oh, and we bought the 400WDH this year too.

Brian 61
Karen
Jacob 92
Buddy (dog) 02
99 Astro, 01 Coleman Utah

Karen
we bleed blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2003, 05:08 AM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck Roder:
Check out http://www.toplinemfg.com look at item #FC1800. it mounts to the frame, not the bumper. You need to make sure that you do not off set the hitch weight so much that it causes sway roblems.

Chuck Roder, Wife & Son
2003 Chevy TrailBlazer EXT V8
2003 Starcraft 21RB
High Springs, Florida.
http://www.rodercamperpage.irv2.com
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Coleman doesn't recommend mounting bike racks on the rear to the frame, at least not on their newer models. I would think you could compensate the weight on the tongue from what was mounted on the rear?
Here is a quote from Fleetwood.

The only approved bike rack system for use with our folding trailers is the roof mounted system that is sold by our authorized dealers. Our bumper and frame are not designed with this use in mind and can be damaged. Also any weight added to the rear of the trailer will most likely adversely affect how the trailer tows behind your vehicle. I am sorry we can not recommend any other type of bike rack system.

Of course, I already knew this, just wanted confirmation. The bike rack listed above looks like it would work great as long as the weight on the tongue isn't affected and compensated for.

Dan.....camp cook
2001 Coleman Bayside
1996 Silverado 5.0L 3.08 gears automatic w/OD.
http://community.webshots.com/user/baltimorebayside

(For Sale) 2001 Coleman Bayside w/AAR/loaded
BaltimoreBayside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2003, 12:18 PM   #11

Hi,

Thanks everyone for the advice. I won't be adding anything to the back. I am going to swing by the local dealer and see what they recommend...probably the roof rack.

Thanks again for the advice.

Brian
Old 07-11-2003, 07:08 AM   #12

The first link provided by Bill (Oz & Us) was to my website.

I've had this ongoing debate for the last 8 years. Same as always, this is always a topic of some debate. It breaks down into three categories by my observance.

1. Armchair quaterback. Never tried it, but will give advice anyway. Not a bad thing, just no real proof of concept.

2. Someone who has tried it, but failed to do the most critical part... check the weight and balance before/after the mod to assure 10%-15% of the weight is on the tongue. Consequently, they suffer sway.

3. Then there's the rare few that have tried it, and do all the homework to make sure the balance is right, or do the modifications to make it right.

Almost 20,000 miles now folks, I'm still hauling bikes. Not rocket science. Spend the effort to do it right or don't bother.

This mod will work on any trailer capable of carrying the additional weight. May involve modifying the frame, relocating equipment, or loading the camper different, but it can be done.

If your camper sways with a couple of bikes hanging on the back, chances are the tongue weight was too low to begin with.

Robert & Jennie
Matthew & Trevor
95 Coleman Royale
00 Nissan Crew Cab

[This message was edited by 2manytoyz1 on Fri July 11 2003 at 12:04 PM.]

2005 Nissan Xterra 4x4
2manytoyz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 06:21 PM   #13

Agree totally, I will be adding a mount on the back of my trailer to carry at least two adult size bikes, I have a reese Weight distribution hitch/sway bar installed so I'am not worried about sway at all. I do know I must install on the frame not the bumper for added strength.

Will post results when project is completed.

2004 Acura MDX
TechGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote