Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Pop Up, Tent Trailer and Teardrop Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-27-2010, 04:35 PM   #1

Question brakes or no brakes

I just purchased a new pop up. A long time ago I had a coleman pop up without electric trailer brakes and it towed just fine I didn't realize any significant difference in stopping. I am pulling with a full size pick up. We we upgraded to a 32 ft. TT and it came with the brakes (Thank God!!!) We have now down sized back to a pop up. my brother in law put brakes on his pop up and said it made a world of difference. I am wondering if it makes sense for me to do it too. The pop up is a small palomino Banshee B1. Actually smaller than my old coleman. Any thoughts?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2010, 07:55 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
You'll be fine. Have fun with it!!!

Old 03-28-2010, 08:41 AM   #3

Thanks Book' We will we are all bitin at the bit to go! I plan on lots of weekend trips with her and the kids are already planning where they want to go.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:06 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
We started off with a 99' Coleman that came in just under 2000 pounds dry. We were towing it with a V-6 Toyota 4-Runner. At the time Coleman didn't put trailer brakes on anything under 2000. We never thought anything about having trailer brakes. Even with the V-6 never really had any problems in the hills of southern OH. or PA. If your pulling the small pop-up with a full size truck, I would see that as just fine. If I had to do it over again I would had ordered the pop-up we had with brakes. It would have made it better for re-sale. With our current Aerolite hybrid I'm sure glad we have brakes.....Now pulling it with a V-8 (4-Runner).
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 11:39 AM   #5

Brakes Yes

I just downsized from a 35' 5th wheel and 1-ton dually to an Alines Classic towed by an F150 SuperCrew. Although the Aliner seems to tow fine behind the F150, I ordered out a complete axle with electric brakes to install. The complete axle with brakes was just a little more than the brake kits. I have seen situations in wet and slippery conditions where brakes are a real plus.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire58p12 View Post
I just purchased a new pop up. A long time ago I had a coleman pop up without electric trailer brakes and it towed just fine I didn't realize any significant difference in stopping. I am pulling with a full size pick up. We we upgraded to a 32 ft. TT and it came with the brakes (Thank God!!!) We have now down sized back to a pop up. my brother in law put brakes on his pop up and said it made a world of difference. I am wondering if it makes sense for me to do it too. The pop up is a small palomino Banshee B1. Actually smaller than my old coleman. Any thoughts?
Some people like brakes some people don't, I don't think it makes a huge difference, but it doesn't take to long to install an axle with brakes yourself if you want to order it and save on labor. Again any questions feel free to call Jevin at Palomino 1-800-297-5830
Old 04-29-2010, 09:58 AM   #7

Appalachian Campers
It will only help and in less than favorable conditions it'll be a real plus.
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:16 PM   #8

Guess what the unit came with the brakes on it!! It is an option that I didn't know was on it. I am not complaining! The unit tows like a dream and stops on a dime. It took a little while to zero in the brakes on the controller butg then no problems i am actually glad to have them
Old 05-14-2010, 06:16 PM   #9

I picked up the new PUP and guess what it has trailer brakes already so this whole post was a bit of a waste but other people may have read it and it may have helped them. Now that I have them and drove the new unit on some very greasy roads in the pouring rain, and got them finally doialed in I am very glad to have them. Thanks for the posts and see ya on the road.