Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Pop Up, Tent Trailer and Teardrop Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-14-2011, 04:21 PM   #1

Triple E Owners Club
Buying a new pop-up trailer

Hello folks, my son is looking at buying a new pop-up trailer. Could anyone please suggest what kind of questions he should ask while looking and what brand he should be looking at. I thank you and my son thanks you.

OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2011, 10:30 AM   #2
South East Texas Area Leaders

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
OneRVer,
Our Pop up camper was a Coleman Sedona, they are not made anymore, but we enjoyed it. I would consider a Coachmen, Viking. Be sure it is equipped with a small refer, heater, A/C if needed in your area and a toilet. Sometimes the trip to the toilet is far away from your campsite, many of the newer units also have a dinette slide out that would be nice with kids or Grandkids. Almost forgot to glad your here, I'm sure more ideas will come forth, also have you considered a Hybrid Camper. Let us know what you decide on and Happy Camping to both you and your Son.

MikenAmber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:53 PM   #3

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikenAmber View Post
OneRVer,
Our Pop up camper was a Coleman Sedona, they are not made anymore, but we enjoyed it. I would consider a Coachmen, Viking. Be sure it is equipped with a small refer, heater, A/C if needed in your area and a toilet. Sometimes the trip to the toilet is far away from your campsite, many of the newer units also have a dinette slide out that would be nice with kids or Grandkids. Almost forgot to glad your here, I'm sure more ideas will come forth, also have you considered a Hybrid Camper. Let us know what you decide on and Happy Camping to both you and your Son.
Thank you, This is just the kind of information I am looking for.
OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 01:35 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneRVer View Post
Thank you, This is just the kind of information I am looking for.
Hi..We had a 2003 coleman Utah. approx 2800# or thereabouts. sold it in 2010 for a class c. never had a problem with coleman. still in business. the niagra and the avalon are top of the line. very spacious and neat inside. they have a "highwall" system that allows you to close it down without moving the sink. the septic attachment is built to handle a reg sewer line to the septic at a cg. a lot better then the old cassette system. watch out for the awning though. the poles are light and can get caught in the wind very easily. I thought i had secured them tight, but didn't. air conditioning worked well with the flaps closed. can be noisy inside with air or heater going. towed very easy with a silverado. strongly recommend a sway bar. hope this helps,will be glad to answer any questions i can help with. great for beginning families. oh yes. refer is usually too small, so we use to have an additional cooler with ice on a table outside of the unit. this worked well.
henryn, 2011 winnebago view, NC
Old 05-18-2011, 08:38 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Lots of folks have had good luck with the Jayco pop ups.

Ken
Old 05-18-2011, 08:55 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I think they would be happy with a tent trailer from any of the major brands. All of those companies have a lot of satisfied customers.

Personally, I would put Starcraft at the top of my list. They have been around for over 100 years, started building tent trailers in 1964, and still have parts available for every trailer they've built, all the way back to 1964. They are a customer service oriented company. You can't say that for all of the companies making tent trailers.

JP
Kurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:21 PM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to pemsit
The big question is how many people will be camping with your son, the more people the bigger the camper needed, some have showers and pottys along with slid outs. An outside screen room helps if the weather and or bugs are bad.
And too it depends on how much money he has to spend
My first pop-up was a Starcraft and it was a great little unit, the draw back I had with it was it only had an ice box, I now have a 2003 Flagstaff Clasic with the stowage box on the front and a 3 way frig.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:23 PM   #8

Hi OneRver,
Just wanted to add my two cents. Your son should probably look at two things, the floor plan he likes and what he can tow. Most of the popups on the market now constructed pretty much the same. Every brand has their own unique features. Just a matter of preference.

As far as brand names go, forest river owns and manufactures Rockwood, Flagstaff, Viking, Coachman, and I believe Palomino. Rockwood and Flagstaff are the identical campers with different colored interior. Same with coachman and Viking. Jayco now owns Starcraft and the models are the same with different interiors although jayco warranties are better for some reason. Coleman went out of business earlier this year so getting parts could be an issue.

We've owned two high walls and absolutely love them. I hope your search goes well, good luck!
Old 06-14-2011, 06:22 PM   #9

our popup

Hi!

I don't really have advice, but I did want to share that my hubby and I just bought a Rockwood Hard Series pop up. If it's room he's looking for, this might not work. It is sort of like an a liner only less expensive with more included. It is better insulated than a canvas pop up, it comes with a full size bed, a nice fridge-stove-microwave, outdoor built in grill, outside shower, heater, air cond., toilet. It is also easily towable and fits in our garage for the winter. We are just two people and a dog, so we fit well. Oh....as for questions for him to ask, I think they will just come to him naturally as he is talking to a salesman. Good luck!

Tags
pop-up, towing, trailer