Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Pop Up, Tent Trailer and Teardrop Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-27-2006, 07:19 PM   #1

Thanks guys for the welcome. Afraid I might get tossed here. When we left tenting and popup camping for the bigger digs I always felt that real camping was over for me. I mean aftercall, camping is more about being in the open like where critters can get at you if they want to. Just because you ( I ) had a campfire and lopved to sit around it an tell stories or just sit an stare into the red coals does not make a camper out of me. When I can go inside lay down on my nice cushy bed, relax on my own throne an read a bok if I want or laze on the couch an watch TV am I really camping.
Ok Popups today are a lot more comfortable with portapotties, showers some even have cable outlets if you're in a private CG. But out in the bondocks, don't have satellite or 30 feet of space to wander around in, can't turn on the ac unless of course you either have a Onan or a really long extension cord like maybe 30 or 40 miles or so am I really " CAMPING ". Hwy even though I'm back to the popup there will be times when I look at tenter's an feel that urge to get back into the tent. But, then of course I realize that there are no EMT's out there to get me back on my feet or to massage my achey bones.
BTW, we just ordered the Starcraft 2406 with a king an queen bed, AC, shower w/portapotty, stove, outside shower and of course hot an cold running water in the sink to. I Want to apoligize in advance; don't know about you but when we had our Niagra and we took a shower inside the curtain always attacked me and I had to fight it off. So with that outside shower Whenever I use it ( usually daily when camping) please eith turn your backs or close your eyes. Afterall who ever took a shower dressed, unleass of course you are either very shy oe vary dirty and I try never to be either. LOL VBG
Tom & Fran

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2006, 07:19 PM   #2

Thanks guys for the welcome. Afraid I might get tossed here. When we left tenting and popup camping for the bigger digs I always felt that real camping was over for me. I mean aftercall, camping is more about being in the open like where critters can get at you if they want to. Just because you ( I ) had a campfire and lopved to sit around it an tell stories or just sit an stare into the red coals does not make a camper out of me. When I can go inside lay down on my nice cushy bed, relax on my own throne an read a bok if I want or laze on the couch an watch TV am I really camping.
Ok Popups today are a lot more comfortable with portapotties, showers some even have cable outlets if you're in a private CG. But out in the bondocks, don't have satellite or 30 feet of space to wander around in, can't turn on the ac unless of course you either have a Onan or a really long extension cord like maybe 30 or 40 miles or so am I really " CAMPING ". Hwy even though I'm back to the popup there will be times when I look at tenter's an feel that urge to get back into the tent. But, then of course I realize that there are no EMT's out there to get me back on my feet or to massage my achey bones.
BTW, we just ordered the Starcraft 2406 with a king an queen bed, AC, shower w/portapotty, stove, outside shower and of course hot an cold running water in the sink to. I Want to apoligize in advance; don't know about you but when we had our Niagra and we took a shower inside the curtain always attacked me and I had to fight it off. So with that outside shower Whenever I use it ( usually daily when camping) please eith turn your backs or close your eyes. Afterall who ever took a shower dressed, unleass of course you are either very shy oe vary dirty and I try never to be either. LOL VBG
Tom & Fran

Old 09-27-2006, 09:38 PM   #3
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
Hey Tom;

If you check the Southwest region you will see we are planning a get togeather at Roosevelt Lake for Turkey Day weekend and everyones invited, it will be cooler then and we will have a great time so come on out and join us.

Now to your main question.

Is it camping????????

Well heck yea. When we had our pop up we carried everything but a generator. My idea of roughing it was no phone. We had a dish and TV and DVDs and fridge, and water. We were set. We got away everychance we could, and we still do. Like you, we too got off the ground and into a bed. We even used air mattrises to make it better.We had a Coleman Bayside with 2 King beds and it was great. So enjoy. Just because your not on the ground your still out enjoying what God gave us.

Hope to see you at Roosevelt.
Old 09-28-2006, 02:43 PM   #4

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
I don't tell people I camp...

... I tell them I RV.
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 06:57 PM   #5

Thanks KableWizard, but we already have resevations in at Verde CG up in cottonwood. don't know if you're familar with it, its a 1000 trails CG. We camped there a year ago in March and enjoyed it, especially the hot tub. But I'll inform the DW. PErhaps it would be more fun camping with folks you meet on line.
We'll be coming off a really stressful 2 months of doing flu shots all over the city and state, Prescott, Flagstaff, Bullhead, Winslow, Pinetop and the whole West Valley. So we will be looking at total relaxation and hey whats more relaxing that a hot tub.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:23 PM   #6
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
Keep you eye on the posting if you change your mind, just let us know. It would be more fun with a group you almost know.

Cheri and I have been to that TT park, the last time we went past there they took down their big sign so its harder to find the road. I want to go up there when they have the sheep crossing in March. keep us in mind and let us know.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:17 AM   #7

Nor'easters Club
HI Tom & Fran welcome i just ret to this site after few years my wife and i did same thing we webt to the TT jayco, we sold it 3 years ago and now we back to the POPUPs and im happy ..I like the openess of the PU i always felt it the TT like a small motel room especially when raining lol at least with the popup with opoen ness you feel inside the PU we enjoyed more and felt like we were camping LOL glad your back as well
jerry

5.3 V8 tow package 3.73 2009 Roo23ss.ultra Fab 3500,equalizer hitch 1000/10000.
jerry7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 03:51 PM   #8
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
I have posted twice, and both times I forgot this.....

Cheri and I upgraded to the Toy hauler for 2 reasons, .... Firtst was the Gold wing of course so we can take it and ride it.
But the second is that when you open the back end and look out it seams more open then the pop up did...... Check it out some time I will add apicture as soon as its approved.

Got it in now.....Here is a tough life with a toy hauler
Old 10-05-2006, 09:39 AM   #9
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Merriam-Webster dictionary defines camping (to camp) as:
1 a : a place usually away from urban areas where tents or simple buildings (as cabins) are erected for shelter or for temporary residence b : a group of tents, cabins, or huts c : a place usually in the country for recreation or instruction often during the summer.

So, if I go by this definition, then I consider myself camping, albeit in my cozy, warm & dry RV.

L-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 11:22 AM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Merriam-Webster </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Poor Merriam-Webster will have to re-write the book to include the lasted changes in our world.

Camping-see RV'ing.
RV'ing-see camping.
Fulltiming-all of the above, plus a permanent residence as in KOA permanent.
What ever you want a word to mean, that is what it means.

If someone else disagrees, then too bad.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:21 AM   #11

My DW and I started "camping" 12 years ago .And like many we started with a nice tent and then went toa popup which to this day my wife and I agree was great But we wanted somethingwith more creature comforts and security. So we went to a nice new TT this last summer and we parked it at a perminant campsite in a very nice campground .We are able to go camping every weekend and with just a half hour of setup and teardown it is great We found that it is our "kind "of camping although we still think about the fun we had going to other campgrounds we do enjoy our camper in its site each to his own just remember camping is what you want it to be just enjoy, do your own thing and have fun Keep a good thought for a short winter

2006 30 ft Cherokee TT
j2detoit is offline   Reply With Quote