Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Pop Up, Tent Trailer and Teardrop Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2019, 08:35 PM   #1

Mid Atlantic Campers
Can we run an AC fan while boondocking?

We will be camping without shore power in June. We have an Coleman 9200 BTU ceiling AC which we know we can't use but there is also a fan setting on it. Does anyone know if it's OK to run that off the battery without AC, just fan? I know running the AC without enough power can damage the unit but I was wondering if
1) the battery would be enough power, and
2) would it damage the unit if we ran the fan without being hooked to shore power.

Our camper doesn't have one of those separate vent fans. We do have a 40 watt solar panel to recharge the battery.

Thanks,
Sandy
sandushinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2019, 08:43 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
It'll work till your battery is dead. 40 watt panel is barely enough to keep the batteries charged with no draw.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 08:59 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The fan in the A/C unit is likely only operable when 120vac shore power is available.

12vdc portable fan would be a way to go.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 09:06 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I agree with using a 12 volt fan. Just keep an eye on the battery condition and don't run it down to dead.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 09:14 PM   #5

If the fan comes in when you are not plugged in, then it's ok to run it, but it will drain your battery.
davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 10:15 PM   #6

A/C Fan is powered by 120V AC just like the A/C Compressor

W/O AC Power Source you can not run the A/C Fan

AC Power either via 'shore power', a generator or an INVERTER that draws from battery and is connected to your A/C Unit (which I highly doubt you have)
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 10:58 PM   #7

Only if you have a source of 120V as that is what voltage the AC compressor and fan operate on.
A small generator of less than 2k watts would run the fan though.
1320Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 05:22 AM   #8

You can't run the AC fan without getting an inverter to create 120 volts. Then your battery capacity probably isn't enough for it anyway. AC fans are double bladed, used to move air inside and out over the condenser coil.

Using a 12 volt fan is your best bet. Just make sure you get a quality and quiet one. Some of the cheap ones are loud.

Marine stores, like West Marine, if near by, have them on display, where you may be able to hear them run.

I had one from Wal-Mart that I couldn't sleep near.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 09:20 AM   #9

Mid Atlantic Campers
Thank you all. This had been very helpful. This is our first trip without an electric hookup and we're still learning the ropes. We have a couple of battery fans from our tent camping days so we'll use those. Thank you!
Old 04-29-2019, 12:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandushinka View Post
Thank you all. This had been very helpful. This is our first trip without an electric hookup and we're still learning the ropes. We have a couple of battery fans from our tent camping days so we'll use those. Thank you!
If you are considering getting a generator you can check the wattage rating on the a/c and go at least 500 watts above that. Invertor type generators are perfect for this type of application. The generator automatically adjusts its speed according to the actual load. They are quiet and reliable and small compared to regular generators. I used to surround ours with cardboard to help reduce the noise even more.
Wmjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 04:19 AM   #11

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmjp View Post
If you are considering getting a generator you can check the wattage rating on the a/c and go at least 500 watts above that. Invertor type generators are perfect for this type of application. The generator automatically adjusts its speed according to the actual load. They are quiet and reliable and small compared to regular generators. I used to surround ours with cardboard to help reduce the noise even more.
Thanks for the tip.
Old 04-30-2019, 05:28 AM   #12

If it were me, I'd run a stand-alone battery fan, like an O2Cool 5" or 10" unit. They fold flat for storage, and can run all night on low for a week on a set of batteries, according to the responses to questions.

The big one has an AC adapter, and some users claim to have purchased a power port adapter with a 3.5mm plug (center positive) and run it from a vehicle power port.

The type of centrifugal blower in an A/C unit is very inefficient because it's designed for relatively high flow through relatively high resistance (the evaporater coil, plus the second fan/blower through the condensor coil). A small blower pushing air at high speed through coils and registers takes more energy than a small propeller (axial fan) with almost no resistance, and the propeller will be much quieter. And as a general rule, a large fan turning slow will use less energy to move the same amount of air as a small fan spinning fast, and make less noise.

The little dashboard fans in trucks (at least, back in my day) were very loud, and moved a lot of air, but you didn't want a big fan on your dashboard or hanging where a rear view mirror would go if you had one, so that's what there was. Not something to sleep by, though.

I have a couple of Caframo 12V fans on my boat, including the one on gimbals with the timer, and they're great to sleep by, but expensive. At this point, if buying a fan for the boat or RV, I'd just use an inexpensive battery fan and use rechargeable batteries.

https://www.amazon.com/O2COOL-Portab...6H1K3ERDECQNF4

https://www.amazon.com/O2COOL-Batter.../dp/B00ATSHJ1Q

https://www.caframolifestylesolution...rine/ultimate/

https://www.caframolifestylesolution...ne/sirocco-ii/
KanzKran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 12:33 AM   #13

I would try to buy a 2000 watt Honda or Yamaha generator if boon docking very much. 2000 watts probably would run the 9800 btu A/C unit I think.

When I boon dock which is not often, I run the generator to use the microwave, charge the battery, charge the phones, etc.
Makes boon docking a lot more enjoyable.
Oh, with the battery charged the fridge running off propane and water pump continue to work. I run the generator 1 hour in the morning and 2 hours in the evening.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 02:06 PM   #14

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandushinka View Post
We will be camping without shore power in June. We have an Coleman 9200 BTU ceiling AC which we know we can't use but there is also a fan setting on it. Does anyone know if it's OK to run that off the battery without AC, just fan? I know running the AC without enough power can damage the unit but I was wondering if
1) the battery would be enough power, and
2) would it damage the unit if we ran the fan without being hooked to shore power.

Our camper doesn't have one of those separate vent fans. We do have a 40 watt solar panel to recharge the battery.

Thanks,
Sandy
Hi all,

I just realized that I never replied how the weekend went. It turned out to be a rainy, cool weekend on the mountain top so we did fine with just battery fans (O2 cool) and didn't need them that much. We did learn a few things, though. We really can't rely on our battery for more than interior lights, especially if it's raining (solar needs um, sol). I had to hook up the car and run it for a while to recharge the battery.

We decided that the rig (Aliner Ascape plus) really isn't a good boondocking rig (besides the battery issue, small water tanks and a cassette toilet). At most we'll have a couple of days, which is fine in certain circumstances but we'll stick to the hookup parks for the most part going forward.

Thanks,
Sandy

Tags
boondocking, fan