Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Pop Up, Tent Trailer and Teardrop Topics
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 04-12-2008, 05:45 AM   #1
I need to replace the canvas on my 1991 coleman chesapeake pu and must decide between canvas (after market) or sunbrella (coleman original). Looking for any feedback on this. Thanks!!

lorlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2008, 05:45 AM   #2
I need to replace the canvas on my 1991 coleman chesapeake pu and must decide between canvas (after market) or sunbrella (coleman original). Looking for any feedback on this. Thanks!!

lorlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 05:52 PM   #3
Excel Owners Club
We had a '95 Coleman for 5 years and no problems w/ the Sunbrella. I always made sure that if tent was wet at all, I would back it in the garage and raise it half way and pull out beds as far as I could 'til dry. I have no experience w/ canvas, but if I were in your shoes, I would replace w/ the original material.
Ed and Diane Van Cleave

2008 Excel E33TKE,'08 K3500 DRW, B&W Hitch
evan0810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 08:11 PM   #4
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
Howdy and Welcome to Irv2.

I don't know how I missed your post, but I am sorry I did. Our first pop up was canvas and I want to tell you we lived in Alaska and if it rained it took a long time to dry and it even got the beds damp when we packed it up. When we got the 99 bayside it had the sunbrella and it was great it didn't take long to dry, and like stated above if you can just raise it a bit and open it it will dry in your garage easy.

I would take the sunbrella it might cost more but if you take care of it it will last.

Have fun and stop by often.

PS H ave you checked out the Camping group in you area to see what they have planned?
Jim (SSG US Army Ret.) and Cheri (TSG Phx ANG Ret.) Mesa, AZ
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 HD Mega Cab Diesel | 2005 Honda Goldwing | 2006 35' Dune Chaser 5th Wheel
Kablewizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 12:47 PM   #5
Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
We had a 99' Coleman with the Sunbrella 302 acrylic tenting material and I would say it took a lot of beating and kept on ticking. After 6 years and 225 nights of camping didn't really show any wear. Near the corners I would take a light scrub brush and some mild soap and it would come clean. I had my canvas awnings on my house replaced and they used the same Sunbrella 302. It's a much lighter material and dries faster and you don't get that musty smell.....Now the only thing with my 99' Coleman was on top of the bunk ends there was a vinyl like material that was over the Sunbrella, so while camping in the woods you tend to get more tree fall-out (sap, bird poop, pine needles...) Without that, the Sunbrella would by itself would stain more on the top of those bunks.....I have a Aerolite Cub Hybrid now and have the same material.....Unless there is a really big price differance between the after market canvas and the Coleman replacement, I would go with the Sunbrella 100%....Becides the Coleman OEM product should fit better to specs......
Jim, Diane & Robert ~ NE. OH.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 06:52 PM   #6
Ok- The material on your 1991 was not really canvas- it was a material called Evolution III. Hindsight is always 20/20- when it came out it was great-- it allowed mositure to escape- but inhibited in from going through it- Only problem was with time and exposure to sun- it started to get sandy- or deteriorate. Once it was starting to rip- you couldnt do much-- Coleman used to sell the patches of it for repairs. The replacement material is Sunbrella and its great like canvas- but more waterproof.
Coleman manufactures their own canvas- so you are assured it will fit- because Coleman has all the original templates to make the canvas- unlike the "price" popup mfrs that farmed it out to the lowest bidder each year.

Brian Osberg

Parts Manager
Partsmgr is offline   Reply With Quote