Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Pop Up, Tent Trailer and Teardrop Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2006, 01:48 PM   #1

Much to my dismay, when I went in the storage box this winter to grab a toolbox, there was water everywhere. It turns out that the plastic had cracked. The crack was about 5 inches long and ran from the hinge for the cover up toward the roofline.

I spoke to Coleman about getting this fixed because it must be a defect but the warranty for the front storage is only 1 year. They agreed to pay for a new storage box after they saw pictures but shipping and installation is my cost.

I got an estimate from the dealer and they say it is 10-12 hours of labor at $99 to get this fixed.

Does anyone know how hard it is to swap out the storage box on the front of a Coleman Utah 03?

I am having a hard time swallowing a $1000-$1200 bill to have this work done. Especially since it was a defect.

Any help or advice would be welcome!!
Utah03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2006, 01:48 PM   #2

Much to my dismay, when I went in the storage box this winter to grab a toolbox, there was water everywhere. It turns out that the plastic had cracked. The crack was about 5 inches long and ran from the hinge for the cover up toward the roofline.

I spoke to Coleman about getting this fixed because it must be a defect but the warranty for the front storage is only 1 year. They agreed to pay for a new storage box after they saw pictures but shipping and installation is my cost.

I got an estimate from the dealer and they say it is 10-12 hours of labor at $99 to get this fixed.

Does anyone know how hard it is to swap out the storage box on the front of a Coleman Utah 03?

I am having a hard time swallowing a $1000-$1200 bill to have this work done. Especially since it was a defect.

Any help or advice would be welcome!!
Old 03-14-2006, 04:48 PM   #3
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
I am not familiar with the Utah, but if its like the 99 Bayside, its a piano hinge riveted to the top and then the hinge is screwed to the box. I would wait and see what it looks like before I decided who should fix it. Once you have the parts, maybe someone would give you a price. I can't see that much either. look close at what needs to be replaced and how it could be done. Let me know.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:16 AM   #4

Jim,

The Utah is just like the Bayside except for the interior layout. They are replacing the entire front storage box not just the lid portion where the crack is. The reason for that is that there is a lot of water damage to the particle boards inside the box and mildew is already growing. I called another service dept just to see if I was being taken, but they said it is not a simple bolt off and bolt on new one. It is a major job to replace the box. I guess I am stuck with the bill. I have insurance on the trailer so I think I will pursue that avenue and see if it is covered. The damage was caused by mother nature so we will see what they say.

Andy
Old 03-15-2006, 01:57 PM   #5
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Andy, Hope you have luck with the insurance. Ley us know how it turns out.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:15 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
On the 03' front storage box, was that the year they went to the new design? I think when you mentioned particle board that was still the old style. I believe the new style of front storage box is all plastic. I had a 99' Coleman with a front box and before the first year I started to get a little water in one corner too. Mostly while driving in the rain. They put some sealant where the aluminum skin butted up to the plastic storage box. That solved the problem. I always kept a close eye on the floor section of the storage box after that. I know that water leaks between the storage box and the trailer was the reason they redesigned the storage trunk in later years to be a seperate unit. The new ones are gray in color. We used our Coleman about 225 nights over 6 years. With any trailer you buy these days, you have to periodiclly keep your eyes open for little thinks that may turn into a bigger mess down the road. Over-all we were very happy with our Coleman.....she served us well....

Just a foot note: Since we camped every year at a State Park about 10 miles from the Coleman factory (Somerset PA.) I stopped in one time with the trailer in tow and asked the warrenty manager a ?'s about the sagging roof problem with the 96's - 98's Coleman had. Hoping that this brace was the fix for that problem I just wanted him to show me exactly what to watch out for if mine should happen to start to sag. And at what point Coleman replaces them. I never had a problem with my roof. The 99' was the first year that they went to the brace inside for the roof. But I remember him telling me that they also were having alot of trouble with a wood support that ran under the piano hinge for that storage trunk. He said that it would start to bow downward causing water to get into the trailer. I just wonder if this support is still not holding up. When you look down the piano hinge from the side is it level, or does it dip in the middle? Mine had a very small amount of dip. I just made sure that during the season I kept junk like leaves and such from collecting there.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote