Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Pop Up Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-14-2007, 05:49 AM   #1

Has anyone had problems with the ABS cracking above the storage trunk lid on a 2002 Coleman? I'm talking about small vertical cracks, where the panel meets the roof. Thanks for any info.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2007, 05:49 AM   #2

Has anyone had problems with the ABS cracking above the storage trunk lid on a 2002 Coleman? I'm talking about small vertical cracks, where the panel meets the roof. Thanks for any info.

Old 07-14-2007, 10:13 AM   #3
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
Howdy and Welcome to iRV2.

Glad you found us, theres a lot of RV talk here so I know you will find what you need.

As far as the cracks go, I am not sure if you mean on the trunk lid or the roof. I had some cracks start to show on the trunk lid of our 1999 Bayside and was told by the service guy it was because of the pressure of the locks we had them to tight. He said they only have to be snug and you should see the gasket go down just a bit not squished. If its in the roof the same thing would apply. I spread some RTV under the trunk lid in the corners where the cracks were just to be safe, a nice thin coat and its still OK.
Have fun and keep us informed on how your doing and let us know your questions.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:03 PM   #4

The most common problem I've heard with the "Cracking" issue, is that it starts around the area of the screws.....this is caused by the screws being bigger than the pre-drilled holes.....my buddy had this problem......lucky for him it was warranty.......check with a dealer.
Old 08-26-2007, 04:17 PM   #5

I have the problem that BB described, a crack on the back corner, and one on the front. The back one is oustside the roof seal and leaked inside. The front one is covered by the seal. A bigger problem, is the screws under my trunk lid. Water leaked through them, and swelled the wood inside the trunk. Also rotted a spot in the floor in the front corner. Out of warranty.

'01 Suburban
wandrr79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 06:39 AM   #6

We have a 2000 Bayside, and have a crack that runs from the lid opening to the rubber gasket seal. Plus another one that joins it to form a triangle that leaks like a sieve when it rains. We also have one on the rear. We currently are using the Handyman's Secret Weapon to hold the water at bay. The silver accents on the white are not lovely. Can ABS be repaired by our local body shop?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hpcamper:
Has anyone had problems with the ABS cracking above the storage trunk lid on a 2002 Coleman? I'm talking about small vertical cracks, where the panel meets the roof. Thanks for any info. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 03-24-2009, 07:59 PM   #7

Coleman used to have a ABS roof repair kit that the dealers used to repair the once piece abs roofs-- this kit was not available for sale to the general public, but the dealer where I used to work repaired some of these items successfully.

You could try to find someone that welds asbs plastic- only kicker is that you need a piece of the actual plastic to melt into the crack. We used to weld plastic tanks, and other items pretty successfully.

Parts Manager
Partsmgr is offline   Reply With Quote