Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Pop Up, Tent Trailer and Teardrop Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:53 PM   #1

double tow w Pup

New here and dont have a camper yet. Am looking at pop ups and have some questions. My wife is handicaped and does not walk well and likes to use a golf cart to get around.

Is it possible to double tow with a pop up and a small utility tlr to cary the golf cart.. I Think the cart ways about 1000lb. Would be towing with a full sized suv. breaks needed on one tlr or both or if one whitch? How to install a hitch on a tlr?
Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks

Eric

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2010, 02:10 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
They make pop-ups that have a cargo pad (7' x 10') on the front of the trailer. Some are large enough for two ATV's. So a golf cart would surly fit.

try this Quicksilver

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 02:15 PM   #3

Triple E Owners Club
I assume you would have to put the golf cart on a trailer. Would the bumper be able to handle the weight of the trailer and golf cart????
OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 02:47 PM   #4

Thanks for the quck replies

a toy haller like the quck silver would be nice, but they are hard to find used and reasonable.

"I assume you would have to put the golf cart on a trailer. Would the bumper be able to handle the weight of the trailer and golf cart???? "

Yes the cart on its own trl. that is what i was wondering. where and how to mount a hitch on the back of the pop up
Old 09-10-2010, 03:30 PM   #5

Double towing on ball type hitches is illegal in many states. You need to investigate the applicable laws in every state you plan to tow through.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:10 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Yes, double towing is illegal in a lot of states. We drove thru many of those states pulling a 5er and a trailer w/motorcycle behind it. Never was pulled over for it.

I think your biggest issue is getting a hitch capable of pulling that much weight on the back of a pop up. A pop up is built for light weight camping and does not have a heavy duty frame. Additionally, when you add the hitch weight and the tongue weight of the trailer to the rear of a pop up you are asking for problems. Keep in mind you need some weight on the bumper hitch of your tow vehicle.

Dave
Old 09-10-2010, 04:25 PM   #7

any idea why 2 ball hitches would not be legal/safe. I would think that as long as the hitch on the truck and first tlr were heavy enough. but then a pup is not that heavy to begin with. could be a case of the tail wagging the dog.

i guess that was my main concern, if a pup had a heavy enough frame to pull a second tlr. May have to look at a toy toter instead. Really did not want to spend that much.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:27 PM   #8

any thoughts on what the "smallest" camper you could double up with?
Old 09-10-2010, 04:45 PM   #9

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_H_E View Post
any thoughts on what the "smallest" camper you could double up with?
I am thinking you might run into the same problem with the strength of a trailer bumper or frame.

Might look in to a small class B or C motor home. This way you would be set up for hauling a trailer and do not need to worry about towing doubles.

What ever you do I wish you the best.
OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:45 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I doubt if a pop up will have enough frame or bumper to pull anything of any size. Plus with a short trailer, I'd be concerned with stability.

How about a small toyhauler that will work with your Tahoe and load the cart in the toyhauler.

ken
Old 09-10-2010, 08:21 PM   #11

i think a toy haller is the way im going to have to go to take the wifes cart along. Or make 2 trips.

well see when tax time rolls around
Old 09-10-2010, 08:22 PM   #12

thanks everyone for your imput and information.