Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Pop Up, Tent Trailer and Teardrop Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2004, 09:19 AM   #1

Has anyone used this fire starter?

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=147042

It is a small brick that will not burn--claims to be the same stuff that they NASA uses as a heat shield for the space shuttle. It appears that you soak it in a fuel (not gasoline) and it will burn for 20 minutes. When your fire is out you can use it again.
idrillem is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2004, 09:19 AM   #2

Has anyone used this fire starter?

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=147042

It is a small brick that will not burn--claims to be the same stuff that they NASA uses as a heat shield for the space shuttle. It appears that you soak it in a fuel (not gasoline) and it will burn for 20 minutes. When your fire is out you can use it again.
idrillem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 01:55 PM   #3

I have seen this but have not used it. I figured I wouldn't like having to dig it out of our fire pit all the time! I generally use the little pouches of fire starter where you just light the corner of the pouch and lay it in the fire pit, or I've even bought those manufactured fire logs for fireplaces and broke those into chuncks to get the fire started. This thing looks like a cool little fire starter though if you didn't mind having to pull it out of the ashes later!

2004 Cougar 293 BHS
Camping Nutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 06:28 AM   #4

old boyscout trick- mix dryer lint with melted wax in old ice cube tray(crayons, whatever).

Makes a great firestarter!

1998 Coleman Cheyenne
zarfus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 07:46 PM   #5
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
Call me old fashion, I use pine needles, pine cone or 2 under a few logs raised and in 5 min we are ready for marshmallows.
Old 09-17-2004, 02:44 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
I use fat lighter, carry a big piece (10 lbs or so) of it that I cannot even remember where I got many years ago. I still have enough for the rest of my life. A little piece is all you need.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 01:39 PM   #7

Looks intresting but I would have to agree that I would not like to have to dig it out of the fire each time. Worse would be remembering that I forgot it back at the campsite when I am already 50 miles away on the way home !

'01 Coleman Fairview W/GlideOut
Fairview 2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 04:38 PM   #8

Although I have seen this link before I have not used it. I generally use homemade firestaters. Knowing the way I am, I would probably forget to dig it out of the fire pit before I leave.
Old 01-11-2005, 07:34 AM   #9

Either dryer lint or saw dust mixed with melted wax works great as a firestarter.

I am like everyone else and would forget to dig it out of the ashes.
Richard Abee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 12:44 PM   #10

I, too, would not want too dig this thing out the morning after. Further, you still have to buy the fuel to soak it in so it doesn't sound like a savings of any sort.

I've tried those starter sticks...only to end up throwing them into the fire once I got it started some other way.

My favorite firestarter is good ol' Matchlight® charcoal.
Between Trips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 06:17 PM   #11

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
We have a similar device that we use for starting fires in our fireplace here at home. However, our "brick" sits inside a cast iron tray to prevent the fluid (usually good old diesel #2 I've saved from when I drain the fuel bowl of my truck) from leaking all over the place. It works quite well. We've probably had ours for about 15 years.
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 02:18 AM   #12

Hi I make up a saw dust and wax in papper cups when home or use papper egg crates hot wax again over the saw dust and there 1 dozzen fire starters.I know the question where do you get the wax.Yard sale candles lots for the taking free or .05/.10 for the big ones.Have a good day .John, saw dust at a wood pile..LOL
Old 04-25-2005, 08:59 AM   #13

Gosh, y'all go to a lot of work to start a fire.

I teepee the wood with a wad of paper underneath, give a shot of liquid Boy Scout, touch the paper with a lighter and voila....fire.

Liquid Boy Scout sold everywhere.