Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Pop Up, Tent Trailer and Teardrop Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-13-2005, 11:45 PM   #1

I guess I posted in the wrong place - being new to the forum. So here we go again! We bought a new Jeep Liberty. Now the rub. Nobody can give me a clear picture about wiring etc. Jeep has a wiring harness [not cheap] and a supplemental harness [$40]. Then there is the business of tow weight. Jeep recommends the auxiliary fan for a trailer over 2000 lbs. Then comes a dealer who includes wiring and a brake controller in his total price. Jeep says NO! Will mess up resistance readings in modules - maybe the computer. I bought an extended warranty for the Jeep, so I am spooky about doing anything Jeep doesn't recommend. Have been looking at Jayco, Fleetwood, and Viking - TOTAL confusion - dealers run down their competition - etc. etc. Beds are NEVER the size the brochures claim? You probably know what I am talking about. So . . . any comments . . . sorry about the length of my post.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2005, 11:45 PM   #2

I guess I posted in the wrong place - being new to the forum. So here we go again! We bought a new Jeep Liberty. Now the rub. Nobody can give me a clear picture about wiring etc. Jeep has a wiring harness [not cheap] and a supplemental harness [$40]. Then there is the business of tow weight. Jeep recommends the auxiliary fan for a trailer over 2000 lbs. Then comes a dealer who includes wiring and a brake controller in his total price. Jeep says NO! Will mess up resistance readings in modules - maybe the computer. I bought an extended warranty for the Jeep, so I am spooky about doing anything Jeep doesn't recommend. Have been looking at Jayco, Fleetwood, and Viking - TOTAL confusion - dealers run down their competition - etc. etc. Beds are NEVER the size the brochures claim? You probably know what I am talking about. So . . . any comments . . . sorry about the length of my post.

Old 06-14-2005, 09:16 AM   #3

I would suggest you speak with the Service Manager of the Jeep dealership. He will have all the pertinent information about the wiring harness. He should be willing to help.

I went through a similar problem with a '99 Chevy Venture. Salesmen didn't know squat about towing, wire harness, cooling....etc, then I spoke to the Service Manager. Got straight answers, made the mods, pulled a Coleman Santa Fe for two years without issues.

Replaced the Venture with a TrailBlazer, now the tow vehicle is an GMC 2500 HD. We are hoping to move to a 5er in the near future.
Old 06-15-2005, 06:00 AM   #4

Do what Knute said. Dont let the RV sales people tell you what the Liberty can tow. They just want to sell you an RV. As far as brands, also go look at Starcraft popups. We had one for seven years and it really held up well. We towed it with a Cherokee most of the time. The Cherokee had plenty of engine. The short wheel base was the biggest issue and we had to have WIDE mirrors to see behind the popup. With your Liberty, stay away from big or long popups and definately get sway control on the hitch. Ask the service manager about a transmission cooler. Good luck, welcome to the forum, and keep asking questions.
Old 06-15-2005, 07:45 AM   #5

Thanks for the quick replies. I did talk to the service manager . . . he was the one who recommended I stay away from the various dealer wiring "experts." A little more expensive, but it IS warranted. The Liberty has an auxiliary cooler standard. All they do is add an auxiliary fan package for HD towing - anything over 2000 lbs according to the service manager.

I am going to buy a SMALL pop-up - not over 10'. Have looked at Jayco, Viking, and Fleetwood. All have their quirks, but my biggest gripe is the small water tanks on the shorter models . . . 5 gallons on the small Fleetwood . . . geez!

Thanks all!
Old 06-15-2005, 08:46 AM   #6

We had a 1021 Starcraft. About 10 foot closed, 21 foot open. Had double bed in rear, queen in front. I think the water tank was 10 gallons. It had no water heater, no side slideouts, no shower. I recommend an air conditioner and a refrigerator. (heater if you are in northern US)
Old 06-15-2005, 09:12 AM   #7

I would urge the installation of the HD radiator fan. I'd also suggest the addition of a tranny cooler and brake controller and a 7 pn connector.

Finding a pop-up with a GVWR of less than 2000 lbs will be tough. Don't give the "dry" weight of the camper much consideration. You won't be pulling an empty camper. Use the GVWR "loaded" weight when doing the tow ratings....most likely you'll be less weight. You will need to be mindful of what gets loaded into the camper.
Old 06-15-2005, 07:47 PM   #8

I enjoy my Flagstaff Mac model 205... has toilet, shower, ac, heater, and lots of modifications... mostly the ideas come from this web site..some also mine... whatever you choose, look also for a place that offers good service.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:35 AM   #9

Thanks again. Learning more. Interesting question by two companies in the area who specialize in hitch and wiring installation: "What in heck are the two wiring harnesses that Jeep sells? What purpose do they serve?" I wonder too, because they cost $170! Anybody a Jeep Liberty expert?

Anyway, Jeep wants $962 to get me going. And about $155 to install any controller I might buy. Add about $250 to the $962! Either of these two independent installers wants about $500, with the controller, and they said I don't need the fan. By the way, I live in Colorado. Any comments appreciated.
Old 06-20-2005, 04:19 AM   #10

Kiara,

I'd suggest to install the fan. Living in CO, I'm sure you've seen overheated vehicles on long grades. Will you ever pull long grades? Extra cooling never hurt, not enough cooling can be catastrophic.

Ask Jeep service manager about the two wire harnesses? if he won't answer, find another dealer.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:12 AM   #11

Well . . . cough . . . spouse said the dealer WILL install the wring harnesses! Suppose that is a comment on my skills? Oh well. I agree to the point that they will be under warranty . . . her real concern. Cooling fan? Maybe. Two installers said not to worry about it. The Liberty has an auxiliary trans cooler already. Now if I had enough money for an Airstream
Old 06-21-2005, 10:07 PM   #12
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
kiara; I am not familiar with the Liberty. The suggestion of the GVRW was right on , I also read someplace to be sure your Tow vehicle is capable of towing 10% more.

You did not say where in CO. you are, but there is a camping world in Denver. They have the Prodigy control on sale for $139.00 and $64.00 to install. If your close enough to make the trip worth it to save money it might be the way to go.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:21 AM   #13

You all may already know about this, but I want to share something if you don't. Being a teacher, I am kind of an information "freak," and usually want to know more than I really need, but "what the heck!" Anyway . . . I was getting a little "ticked" about not being able to find much on REESE. To top it off, none of the numbers I saw at Checker, WalMart, etc matched anything I found on the REESE website. Finally, I ran into a man at Checker who filled me in. I headed home, fired up the computer, and VOILA . . . there it was . . . a super website on TOWPOWER: BY REESE . . . everything I needed to know in one place. Be sure to look at it. And there were those mysterious model numbers that WalMart and Checker had, but I couldn't find on REESE-HITCHES.COM or REESE'S home site. COOL! I ran off dozens of pages and created a TOWPOWER catalog! Wonder why all my e-mail to REESE couldn't reveal this info? Oh well . . . done done!
Old 06-23-2005, 05:29 AM   #14

To those who care . . . I think I have made my choices . . . at least until I change my mind Looks like we will get a Viking pop-up, Towpower: By Reese hitch with friction sway control [cheap], and let Jeep do the wiring harness. Jeep will be happy, the spouse soothed, and the Viking is a good economical pop-up with a reasonable capacity water tank. I'm happy . . . well . . . for the moment