Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Pop Up, Tent Trailer and Teardrop Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2005, 11:35 AM   #1

Please help me narrow down my options.

I am willing to spend $3k - $4k. I would like a 12 ft box. Space and storage are my primary concerns. We're a family of 5. Slide-out would be great if it fits the price range. Shower is not desired / potti would be ok, if it didn't eat into storage too much. No major layout preferences.

Based on this criteria, what model and year do you think I'm looking at?

Ex. if I can live without the slide, then a mid-90's Niagara might be an option. Or maybe a 2002 Rockwood XYZ model?

I'm perfectly fine with buying a used model, I just don't know "how used" I'll have to go for the type of Pop-up I'd like to get.

Thanks for any advice you can share.
drewc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2005, 11:35 AM   #2

Please help me narrow down my options.

I am willing to spend $3k - $4k. I would like a 12 ft box. Space and storage are my primary concerns. We're a family of 5. Slide-out would be great if it fits the price range. Shower is not desired / potti would be ok, if it didn't eat into storage too much. No major layout preferences.

Based on this criteria, what model and year do you think I'm looking at?

Ex. if I can live without the slide, then a mid-90's Niagara might be an option. Or maybe a 2002 Rockwood XYZ model?

I'm perfectly fine with buying a used model, I just don't know "how used" I'll have to go for the type of Pop-up I'd like to get.

Thanks for any advice you can share.
drewc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 11:46 AM   #3

You also need to figure in how long you will be staying in it per trip. This is the reason I'm selling my pop-up. Our camping trips for the last 1 1/2 yrs are 7d, 5d, 21d, 12d, 3d, 6d, 13d, 27d & 17d (and I'm sure I left a trip out of that list). But then we also use our pop-up differently than most folks. Guess it helps to not have canvas (or does it?? ).

With the amount of people you have I would try to get as much space as you can. Think of having to to all stay inside if/when it rains.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 12:14 PM   #4

Hey there,

Well I just sold my 96 Viking 1706ST for $3K - I bought it new in 96 for $4K. I don't know what the current prices are but back in 96 Viking was the best value I could find. It held up very well - I used it once a month since it was new - over fire roads, trails, etc... I never had any problems with it, ever. I just moved up to a T@B so the Viking had to go.

The 1706ST has the trunk on the front, furnace, 3-way fridge, 30gal fresh water w-pump, spare, etc.... all the options execpt A/C.

Good luck & happy camping

John, Juli
Big Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 06:23 PM   #5

The size of the pu you buy is limited by your tow vehicle.A pu the size you are describing should be pulled by at least a suv,astrovan or truck.Also budget for a good brake controller like a prodigy and a tranny cooler.Have fun shopping .

2000 Fleetwood Bounder 34 Class A
fishncamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 02:15 PM   #6

Used to have a 2002 Coleman Westlake PU. It had the 12' box. We have slept up to 9 persons in that PU for a 3 day camping trip. Let me tell you, in a PU that is pretty cramped any way you look at it! 3 people on each of the slide out beds, 2 people on the dinette, and one person on the couch. I don't know how you feel about it, but 3 days with that number of people was long enough! I understand 5 is not as bad as 9. I would look for something in about the 2000 year range. Some with potti's double as a shower stall so no wasted space there. One with a slide would give more room but also cost more. As far as makes and models, I would think that would be a personal choice. Hope you find a good PU. I would be lying if I told you I didn't miss ours sometimes!

2004 Cougar 293 BHS
Camping Nutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 07:33 AM   #7

Even with a used popup, the dealers in the area make or break the deal. If the dealer will take care of you even if you dont buy from him (private party) then that is the one to go with. I also put the floor plan just as heavy.