Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Pop Up, Tent Trailer and Teardrop Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2017, 03:44 PM   #15

Commercial Member

when using "P" type tires on truck, SUV or trailer you need to "De-rate " the tire load capacity.

(Tire sidewall load) / 1.10 = new load capacity
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2017, 03:47 PM   #16

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEagle View Post
The TRA is an overseer of many things, but, it's still the individual tire manufacturer's responsibility to insure a tire's speed rating is justifiable. They must provide the DOT with certified testing results.

A tire's sidewall information will tell you what the basic building materials are. It will even number them. However, they never mention size. Probably confidential. Logic would seem to support larger cording sizes as being able to provide more load capacity at a given PSI than smaller sizes.

Some tires are more durable than others because of "add-ons" like sidewall protectors, an added steel belt or some sort of overlay or wedge. All good for a chance at lasting longer but none add strength in load capacity.
" Some tires are more durable than others because of "add-ons" like sidewall protectors, an added steel belt or some sort of overlay or wedge. All good for a chance at lasting longer but none add strength in load capacity." I agree completely with that statement.
Old 12-14-2017, 03:51 PM   #17

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I think I'd do the exact same thing. I've had new trailer tires that came on the trailer blow out.

Why did the tires fail? "Blowout" seems to imply a "Run Low Flex Failure" but may be confused with e "Belt Separation" to the untrained eye.

Suggest you review THIS post.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:34 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Why did the tires fail? "Blowout" seems to imply a "Run Low Flex Failure" but may be confused with e "Belt Separation" to the untrained eye.

Suggest you review THIS post.
They were Goodyear tires and there was a recall on them. I contacted a Goodyear dealer about it and he said my tires were OK. A month later on a trip across Nevada one blew a hole in the sidewall about the size of an orange and the other tire shredded with the added weight.

I had just checked the pressures that morning and all was fine. I always check my tire pressures and these were no exception. Les Schwab came to my rescue 10 miles east of Winnamucca, NV on I80 and replaced both tires with another brand. I then went into their shop in Winnamucca and had the other two tires replaced.

I have since talked to many RVers pulling trailers and most of them have had blowouts with original tires.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 01:36 PM   #19

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
They were Goodyear tires and there was a recall on them. I contacted a Goodyear dealer about it and he said my tires were OK. A month later on a trip across Nevada one blew a hole in the sidewall about the size of an orange and the other tire shredded with the added weight.

I had just checked the pressures that morning and all was fine. I always check my tire pressures and these were no exception. Les Schwab came to my rescue 10 miles east of Winnamucca, NV on I80 and replaced both tires with another brand. I then went into their shop in Winnamucca and had the other two tires replaced.

I have since talked to many RVers pulling trailers and most of them have had blowouts with original tires.
Checking the pressure at 9AM is no guarantee the tire didn't get a puncture as you pulled out of the campground or that the valve core didn't get stuck and allow a slow leak. My blog post on 'Real Life Blowout" shows how sidewall failures happen.
If there was a recall on the tires but you chose to not replace them seems like that was your decision to ignore the recall notice.
Old 12-17-2017, 12:33 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Checking the pressure at 9AM is no guarantee the tire didn't get a puncture as you pulled out of the campground or that the valve core didn't get stuck and allow a slow leak. My blog post on 'Real Life Blowout" shows how sidewall failures happen.
If there was a recall on the tires but you chose to not replace them seems like that was your decision to ignore the recall notice.
I went to a Goodyear dealer about the recall and he told me the tires were fine.

Believe me I wouldn't have kept the tires on it if the dealer said they were bad.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 04:02 PM   #21

There are too many rubber compound formulas to speculate. I can believe 2 tires of the same size as one being junk and one being better than junk.

You can get different speed rating in the same size car tires for years.

I tow at 70 - 72mph to keep up with right lane traffic. I welcome the higher speed rating.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:37 AM   #22

Commercial Member

I am writing a long detailed blog post on tire speed ratings.

Individual post answers are takinftoo much time and too many simply do not like the answer I give based on actual tire engineering facts.
Hope to post June 1
Old 06-04-2018, 01:51 PM   #23

^ Which can now be found here.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires