Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Pop Up, Tent Trailer and Teardrop Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2018, 08:14 PM   #15

There are some really nice pop ups available that you’d love over tent camping. However, I’m not sure they’d do well in those temperatures.
The difficult part is your very limited by your tow vehicle. Getting drug around by a swaying travel trailer can be terrifying. Your vehicle would be best suited to pop ups as far as towing comfort goes.
If you plan on upgrading the truck, do that first then you can size the trailer based on the new truck.
One warning though. It’s addicting. 10 years from now you may be back here asking about a new 40’ fifth wheel and duelly one ton truck......
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2018, 02:41 AM   #16

Just went TT

Earlier in this thread I posted about a new Flagstaff pup I had purchased. Today I traded for a Coleman Lantern 202 RD TT. I just took a three week road trip that involved a lot of overnighters. Stting up after a six hour driving day and taking down the next morning just got to be too much of a drag on my 67 year old body. Part of my trip was in CO where it hit 15 degrees at night. I stayed warm enough, but was sucking down propane at the rate of a tank a day. Pup's are drafty and I could see the curtain over the door blowing from the wind with the door closed. Because of all the time it took to setup in the afternoon, I never really got to enjoy any of the sights where I was overnighting. I'm going to enjoy the comforts of this TT.
Buffaloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 04:51 AM   #17

We camped in popups with our two boys until the older one was in college and I know what you mean about cold weather camping. We didn't do that much cold weather camping and lived in the western NY area.

If you really want to stay with your current vehicle, you can get a popup with a toilet or wet bath and use electric blankets and a furnace. But if you do a lot of cold weather camping, you would love a trailer. You have a toddler, so consider if you plan to have any additional children. If so, try to purchase a large enough trailer so that you can keep it for quite a few years and not outrow it.

If you're going to get a new truck, consider getting a 3/4 or 1 ton truck so you have the capacity to tow a larger and heavier trailer. If you can swing it, try to get a true 4 season trailer such as Arctic Fox or Lance and you would really be setup for cold weather and mountain camping. The extra insulation in a 4 season trailer will make it much more efficient when running the propane furnace and double pane windows avoid having the condensation problem of single pane windows. Over the long haul, if you buy the right rig now, you can keep it for 10 years or longer and avoid spending more $$ because you need a bigger rig as the kid(s) gets bigger.

Whatever you do....keep camping! Our best family memories are traveling and camping! Although we moved up to a travel trailer and now a MH, I still miss sleeping under canvas on a nice cool evening and looking up at the stars.....or watching the skunks cross under the bunk end!!
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 11:28 AM   #18

I am not 100% sure about the Winnebago Micro Mini and the Mini but I do know you can order dual pane windows in the Mini Plus.

You could pull a small sized Travel Trailer easy with the new Colorado. But for a full sized truck Ford builds a F-150 with the 2.7 liter eco-boost since 2015. That is a F-150 (lite). It is built with a lighter frame but would be a great truck to pull a 4,500lb travel trailer. Now has a 10 speed transmission and gets good MPG for a truck.

The new redesigned Chevy and Rams are also very nice. If you want trailer with bunks I know Winnebago builds one in all three sizes, the Micro Mini, the Mini. And Mini Plus. The 1700BH is the smallest Travel Trailer Winnebago makes. These trailers come in a color like Red, Blue, Yellow, Orange etc and with a very high grade fiberglass.

For me I think the Micro Mini line can be pulled by mid sized trucks. Tacoma, Colorado, Frountier, Canyon.

The Mini line needs a full sized truck.

The Mini Plus line it is best to have a 3/4 ton truck.

With a hard shell small trailer you can stay much warmer than a pop-up. Actually the propane furnace can get the trailer nice and toasty if you want to use the propane. To me, it is worth it to stay warm.

Best place to buy propane that I have found is Tractor Supply.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote