RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Pop Up, Tent Trailer and Teardrop Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-02-2018, 12:41 PM   #1

High wall PUP vs small TT?

Hi, my wife is over the tent camping and sleeping on the ground. We camped at 9000 ft this weekend in CO and all nearly froze as I think it dipped to 38 at night. My toddlers feet were like ice cubes in the morning despite multiple fleece layers. Worse yet, there is a county-wide fire ban and we couldn't even have a campfire.

To my question: I like the high-wall pop ups and she likes the toilet for middle of the night "nature calls". I have a 2012 GMC Canyon inline 5 crew cab 4x4 so I'm limited to what I can tow. Not sure I could tow much of a TT. How much easier is it to tow a HW PUP vs a small TT? We have a toddler and another boy on the way.

Looking to hear your thoughts and experiences with a HW PUP for family weekend camping mostly here in Colorado.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

ThirdSpaceCO is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2018, 12:05 AM   #2

You will love a popup with toilet facilities...big upgrade. Heck, we even have a simple porta potti and that works just fine. I cant answer about the comparison of a high wall popup versus TT first hand, but I can guess the difference would be dramatic. Any TT presents a huge wind area versus the largest popup and you will feel that at highway speeds.

Old 07-05-2018, 10:32 PM   #3

I just bought a Flagstaff HW27KS. It has an enclosed stand up wet shower and flush potty.

Buffaloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:54 PM   #4

Nice! Let us know your thoughts after taking her out a few times.
Old 07-06-2018, 01:13 AM   #5

ThirdSpace, are you a fan of Babylon 5 by any chance?
Old 07-19-2018, 06:18 AM   #6

Little Guy makes a nice tear drop trailer. Look at a T@B 400 to see an example. A pop-up is a big step up from tent camping. But a hard shell is a step up from a pop-up.
Look at the smaller Lance or the smaller Winnebago Mini travel trailers. There are dozens more.

If you are camping in 38 degree temps at 9,000' I have to recommend a hard shell with a propane furnace to at least take the chill out of the air and get warm for a little while.

Now, a hard shell is not going to be insulated very well and will get cold. If you have electric hook-ups then you can run an electric heater plus put a heating pad or electric blanket on the bed. For an electric heater I recommend a tower that will oscillate.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 06:58 PM   #7

You may want to consider a small, fiberglass trailer, such as a Casita or Scamp.
NoWheelSpins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 05:38 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
I had a 2016 hw27ks. We loved it. The slide out made it nice and roomy and my wife loved the bathroom. Easy to tow and nice amenities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloe View Post
I just bought a Flagstaff HW27KS. It has an enclosed stand up wet shower and flush potty.

To OP: we traded in our pup for a 4 season TT because anything at 40 F or below is too cold even with the furnace on all night. That kills the batteries and drains the propane. The canvas is a poor insulator.

The difference between pulling a pup and even a small TT is a big difference. I had to upgrade my TV right after getting our TT because my V8 4Runner easily pulled the HW27KS but could barely handle the TT. I don't know the Canyon's tow ratings so I can't offer an opinion there.

Maybe you should consider a hard wall or A-liner pup. Still a pup but fully enclosed in hard walls. Still only a 3 season rv but you won't lose as much heat as compared to canvass. The draw backs are limited floor plans and are heavier than a canvass pup but not by much.

An ultralight TT is an option but they will be more expensive, offer about the same floor space as a large pup, have a larger profile, but are much easier to set up as all you have to do is level at the site and your done. 3 season TTs will offer slightly better insulation as well. Most will still have a blast furnace like pups as well.

Personally, I love having a TT compared to a pup because setting up in the rain is no longer an issue and four season insulation takes the sting out of hot/cold weather. I added a convection heater so we wouldn't have to run the house furnace because we like to boondock. Doesn't drain the battery, silent, very efficient and directional. I got a large one and we run it on low it works so well.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:07 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Looked up the base line towing specs of your Canyon. Max tow is 5500#. I would recommend keeping your target to 4000# or less. Payload around 1250# so watch those tongue weights. You could easily handle a nice pup with those numbers. TTs might be more of a struggle with your engine but if you get a small ultralight you should be able to pull it off as long as you aren't in a hurry to get there.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:13 PM   #10

Thanks for all the responses and personal experience. I think for now we'll just rent some pop-ups from the RV share sites and see how we like the towing and set-up. Might look into upgrading the TV to a half ton in order to pull a TT that has bunks in the back. I like the idea of sound and temperature insulation with the TTs.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:23 AM   #11

Try renting (if they exist as rentals) a small lightweight (approx 3,000 lbs) TT and see how it goes.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:39 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdSpaceCO View Post
Thanks for all the responses and personal experience. I think for now we'll just rent some pop-ups from the RV share sites and see how we like the towing and set-up. Might look into upgrading the TV to a half ton in order to pull a TT that has bunks in the back. I like the idea of sound and temperature insulation with the TTs.

You appear to be pretty close to Roberts Sales. They should have all kinds of different options for you to check out as far as A frames and pups.
Spurticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 04:06 PM   #13

We are having an all aluminum "Canned Ham" built, to my design. We expect the empty weight to be about 1800 - 2000 pounds. It will have a heat pump, so Air Conditioning and heat, if we are on shore power. It will have an inch of insulation all around, and be 6 foot tall inside.
It will only be 10 foot long inside and have a modified outdoor kitchen, but we will have a full bed at one end and a table and benches at the other. Let me know if you want more details. I hope to post pictures as the build goes on.
Kate
KYKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 08:26 PM   #14

We've owned a soft sided popup, a hard sided A-Frame popup and currently a small TT.
Out of the 3 trailers I like the TT the best. But the A-Frame popup was definitely a close second. I wouldn't own another soft sided popup. What I like about a TT and the A-frame popup is when we do distant traveling I don't have to un-hook to set up in a campground for an overnite stay. The A-Frame you can literally set up in 2 mins. All depends on how you intend to use it. The plus side on a soft side popup is the amount of room you get and openness because of the amount of windows. If youre looking at a small TT the Scamp 16' layout 4 might suit your needs. Full bath, dinette that converts to a double bed and a couch that converts to bunk beds.

tnrver is offline   Reply With Quote