Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Pop Up, Tent Trailer and Teardrop Topics
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:09 AM   #1
How about these Pop-ups?

I couldn't believe I could get such a late model pop-up within my budget but I am thinking "ok, what all is wrong with Rv'ing in a pop-up"

I would love to hear some feedback from folks that have actually lived in one (traveled). I have a tiny pickup, Mazda B3000 V6 that I really don't want to part with. I so want to go RVing but just don't have big bucks, barely little bucks I will be ready to go as soon as I finish some classes I've been taking. Spring time, great time to take off but if I run into rain or even snow, I want to know I can survive the cold or heat

Ok, pros and cons! Hep me hep me

nwcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2012, 10:36 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
A pop up is a hybrid, half tent, half camping trailer. They are great if you enjoy camping. Not usable in temperature extremes, although I've seen some with A/C's on the top. It is a good introduction to the RV lifestyle, you will find out if you want to keep going, upgrade to a Class B, C, or something else. Make sure the canvas is in good shape, not mildewed or torn. Watch out for rot in the wood frame of the 'cap' and that everything is in well maintained condition. Because of their relative 'cheapness' and small profile, some folks buy them and then loose interest and let them sit in the backyard until it would require too much work to restore if you buy it.

pop up camper | eBay

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:46 AM   #3
thank you much!! I will print out what you shared. I will see if there are any near me, oh, and look at your link as well Thank you again, denise PS I do love to camp and I still tent camp so it could work for a Summer to see how I do

Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
A pop up is a hybrid, half tent, half camping trailer. They are great if you enjoy camping. Not usable in temperature extremes, although I've seen some with A/C's on the top.

pop up camper | eBay
Old 11-18-2012, 10:53 AM   #4
See my post in your other thread. We liked our pop-up as long as the weather was moderate. Ours had a small propane/electric fridge and porta-potty. I used a big plastic jerry-can to catch the sink drain water, so we were sort of self-contained, but not for long.
We were two adults and a cat. Snug quarters, but the cab over bed was generously sized.
'09 Pleasure Way Lexor, Chevrolet Express 3500 chassis, 6.0L V8
Last RV, 2005 NRV Dolphin 5342 (2007-2014)
two2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:54 AM   #5
Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Have you thought about an ALINER? Or anther one to consider would be a Trail Manor travel trailer. we started out with a 4 x 6 pop up that we towed with our Honda Gold wing motorcycle. Then we purchased an Aliner and liked it. Was easy to tow, functional and easy to set up (no canvas). Then we went with a HI-Lo (i think they are out of business). Nice unit but the seal on the hi-lo was poor and we dumped it and got a Class A DP. wouldn't go back. if we were to the Trail manor wiould be 1st on our list. good shopping ed
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:49 PM   #6
Going from a tent to a pop up was heaven unless you had to pack in wet. Going from a pop up to a small, hardsided trailer when the slaves thought it was too creepy to camp with mom and dad even better regardless of no indoor biffy. Then when we moved up to the small 5th wheel with a biffy it was hard to remember I no longer had to go outside. The stinky slinky took time to get use to though.
sadiebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:33 PM   #7
There is a book written by a woman who lived full time in her pop up with her husband. They were retired and traveled for more than a year, then made it almost through a second year, I believe. Written by Arlene Trainor Corby(husband is Charles), it is "Popping Up Across America."
Swedish Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:39 PM   #8
iRV2 No Limits Club
There are other alternatives, folks that have done cargo trailer conversions, we have a large teardrop. There are many who have built their own and they can be as elaborate or as simple as you could wish.
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:57 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
I bought an old POP UP, 1977 for $600. We wanted a project and it's turned out to be a great one. Here is a link to the thread following all the work involved in the remodel. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f83/renovation-of-1977-palomino-yearling-started-140640.html we didn't really have to do everything we’re doing but like I said it's a project for the fall and winter. We also own a Class "A" DP and in the real cold or real hot weather we are going to take it and not the PUP. The PUP is really for my fishing trips.
If you’re going to be camping without hookups or in weather I'd look into a nice Ultra Lite Travel Trailer. Some can be towed with a relatively small TV and the accommodations are really a lot more livable than a PUP. You really get a feel for camping in a PUP, but I'm sure after a short time you would want the amenities a Travel Trailer would afford.

Unless you’re in a hurry, take your time and investigate as many options as you can.
Good Luck
1999 Tradewinds 7372 Cat 3126
Albuquerque, NM
Theberrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:26 PM   #10
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My motto:

It doesn't matter what you camp in, you will have just as much fun.
Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse)
2008 Winnebago Destination 39W
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:48 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
While I wouldn't want to live in one, they can't be beat for access to most any public park. Less complicated, cheaper to maintain and as you've already deduced, you don't need a monster truck to pull it. I think an outstanding choice as a "weekend warrior" or for the occasional vacation. We rented one, years ago before we bought our first RV, and had a great time.
Jay & Peggy Monroe with Dolly
Can't take it with you - don't plan on leaving any behind
2016 Newmar London Aire 4553, Spartan chassis
Wrangler Unlimited toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:40 AM   #12
Thanks everyone, I am learning so much and I appreciate the encouragement. It is true that I can have fun even roughing it, which is all I've ever done. I literally lived in 2 different camp trailers in my time and it was great. I just can't afford a TT or a new rig to pull one With what I have saved by Spring, plus any money I might earn working a Summer job, maybe up at Crater Lake or another park, I could have enough to buy a "C" type RV like my brother has. I guess we'll just have to see. thanks again, to ALL of you denise
Old 12-01-2012, 10:04 PM   #13
Have u checked out popup explorer dot com? Fantastic site that guided us through our popup days.. We had a fix'er upper - and are very thankful for that site!!
We have a TT now and do not visit the site often, but I bet there is someone on the site that is full timing in their popup (at least someone that has)..
I need to visit the site more often as the modifications they come up with are pretty darn sweet..
If you do, please bring the ideas this way!! ;-)
dgrant09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:56 PM   #14
Also check out www.popupportal.com

Good info on all things popup

Jpetrey is offline   Reply With Quote