Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Pop Up Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-15-2010, 06:09 PM   #1

How to repair rotted wood on Palomino

We purchased a Palomino recently and just this weekend discovered we were not told the truth. The latches on the back of the pop-up fell off! We have discovered the wooden strip that holds the back latches is rotten! Can this wood be replaced? The roof seems solid but the wood on that back strip is falling apart! We just fell in love with camping and love our little camper, we hope we can fix it! Any suggestions would be appreciated by this rookie family just starting out! I should have added that it does not seem to leak anywhere now.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2010, 06:35 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome angiegarbe to irv2.
Is the wood only rotten around the hinge area?
If yes you can use a product that will patch the area and harden so holes will have to be drilled to place hinges.

The filler has material to prepare the wood before adding the filler.
Have used outside on windows and painted makes wood like new.
If its really rotten you will have to replace wood board and maybe could use the new plastic fiber boards you will find in Lowes or HD.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 06:53 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Can it be replace: YES. How hard... I don't know.

I just (And I mean a couple of hours ago) replaced some wood in the floor of my Class A.

IT is not a job for the faint of hammer.. That I can tell you. But I got the job done.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:56 PM   #4

That shouldn't be to tuff of a job if the rot didn't spreed out to far from there. If there is a way to use a wood chisel and cut that rotted section out and then just glue in a new piece of plywood into its place.

I'm new to repairing a camper,but I did learn alot from the project I am doing now. Yours seams simple compared to my problems. If you really want to read about a nightmare,read this: Roof leak