Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Pop Up, Tent Trailer and Teardrop Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2009, 06:03 PM   #1

Just bought a 1979 Bethany

Hi there, we are new to the IRV2 group as of today. We purchased a 1979 Bethany pop up camper and being novices and partially stupid we only popped up the front side of the camper. Got it home into the garage and tried to set it up and the back supports are gone. Any ideas on how to economically fix this problem? Would love to use it and finish setting it up. The inside is dry, canvas looks great too. Thanks for reading, any ideas or tips would be great.
hockeyrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2009, 07:31 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Can't really help with the missing parts, but did want to say that a Bethany Pop Up does bring back memories. In 1983 we rented one for two weeks; went to Colorado with the kids and had a blast.

Man, those were great times, and so much simpler than the RV life we have now. Good luck with your new camper; you'll love the lifestyle
Dick & Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:49 PM   #3

polls

If the polls are like any other pup call a rv center that sell pups and ask if they stock the polls. see if the front will fit in the back, if so cut the polls to that size. and you set
theoddcouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:21 AM   #4

Supports

Actually the supports aren't missing. They are in good condition. The problem is where they connect to the trailer they are ripped out. It looks like they have been reconnected before so I'm thinking of sawing off some two by fours and building new corners. I think one problem with this will be closing the camper as the supports will be in a little different spot. Any ideas, or if anyone has done this advice would be appreciated.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:35 PM   #5

well we worked for five hours on it and got the support reinforced on the corner where it was broken and everything seems pretty solid. there are a few spots that need re-sewn here and there and the velro to hold the canvas down under the bed slide outs is missing. so a few more odds and ends this week and then we are going to take it next weekend....super excited....
Old 07-24-2009, 08:23 PM   #6

More Work Done

We did some more thing to the camper since the last post. Fixed the door where it had been hit by a car. Took the old wood out and cut new pieces and screwed them back in. Took old hinge off as it was broken and put two small door hinges on. I should give credit for all this to my Mom and her newbo Dick as they did the majority of the work. Then we took the trailer to Grandparents house in South Lyon (near Ann Arbor) from here in northern Minnesota (Hibbing). We stopped and camped in UP on way and it rained. Roof leaked out one hole in center (Roof was concave when we bought it). When we got to Michigan, Grandpa Boo helped and we put rafters up on the inside to hold up the roof and then I bought white Elastometric? paint at Lowes and put four coats on the top. Stopped in UP again on way back and it poured that night and it stayed cozy inside. If anyone is interested I could post some pics I took.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:00 PM   #7

Pics

Picture of top after four coats of Roofing paint. The brochure was for sale on Ebay for $15. Not worth that but I stole the pic!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camper.jpg
Views:	1075
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	1011   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bethany.jpg
Views:	705
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	1012  

Old 07-31-2009, 10:08 PM   #8

Older Pic

This is a pic from the first time we used the camper. This was before we had the door fixed and I got the propane hooked up now for the stove....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camper1.jpg
Views:	2935
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	1013  
Old 08-01-2009, 06:14 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Looks like you are all set to enjoy the new rig.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:17 PM   #10

it look like ares

nice another person with tast my wife and i just bought ares and it needs work the roof is saging and there is rips in the canvas do you know where you can get parts for these campers if so please get back to me at hydetherat@gmail.com thanks
hydetherat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyrules View Post
Picture of top after four coats of Roofing paint. The brochure was for sale on Ebay for $15. Not worth that but I stole the pic!

your 1979 pop-up looks great, it is so refreshing to hear your enjoyment and excitement in something that didn't cost a fortune. keep on enjoying and best of luck in your camping experiences.
faye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 06:48 AM   #12

I love camping..
rolexreplica is offline   Reply With Quote