Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Pop Up, Tent Trailer and Teardrop Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-03-2005, 01:05 PM   #1

Last year was my first experience with a rental 10' popup, towed by a 2000 Caravan from Indiana to the Smokey Mtn. I'm a single mom with three kids and a dog. It was great. This year I'm educating myself about buying a popup but can only afford an older model. Am I nuts? I have read some of your info on the disadvantages of my car's tranny and we're putting everyone on a diet. Any good or bad experiences with buying a late model popup?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2005, 01:05 PM   #2

Last year was my first experience with a rental 10' popup, towed by a 2000 Caravan from Indiana to the Smokey Mtn. I'm a single mom with three kids and a dog. It was great. This year I'm educating myself about buying a popup but can only afford an older model. Am I nuts? I have read some of your info on the disadvantages of my car's tranny and we're putting everyone on a diet. Any good or bad experiences with buying a late model popup?

Old 08-03-2005, 01:27 PM   #3

Camping with a pop up is a great way to spend time with your family.The process of set up and taking it down will get easier and quicker as you do it more often.A layout that works for you is most important.Definitly get one with electric brakes and a good controller for your van.Definitly get a tranny cooler installed.A furnace is a good option to have for those chilly nights,an add-a-room extends your living space and is great when its rainy outside.Practice camping at home or at a nearby cg before you take a long trip.Good luck and do not hesitate to post any questions or concerns you may have .

2000 Fleetwood Bounder 34 Class A
fishncamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 01:54 PM   #4

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to George Miklas
First, please allow me to welcome you to iRV2.com. This is by far the friendliest comprehensive RVing website on the WWW.

Everything I would say to answer your question has already been addressed by fishncamp. So just let me reiterate them:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Read your Caravan owner's manual. electric brakes on the trailer is required by Chrysler.<LI>You will need to have a good brake controller installed on your van. There are several kinds. All controllers will work. But the cheaper ones are often jerky, whereas the more expensive ones are smooth and apply the trailer brakes according to the inertia of your stop (in light traffic stopping, the electric brakes apply softly, but emergency stopping the trailer brakes apply hard)<LI>A tranny cooler is important on any vehicle with automatic transmission, but absolutely essential for the Chrysler minivan transmissions<LI>You'll appreciate a furnace on chilly nights, so make that a "must have" on your list<LI>You'll probably want to have Air conditioning<LI>You might want to have a porta potty for those late night and early morning emergencies.[/list]
At the beginning of each camping season, you'll need to take the trailer to a mechanic and have the wheel bearings "repacked". It doesn't matter how much you use the trailer, grease dries out and looses its lubricating properties just as much as grease wears out from use. If you get one with a water system, you'll need to learn how to winterize the plumbing, or take it to a dealer to have it winterized BEFORE temps stay below freezing.

You might also check out http://popupexplorer.com and http://popuptimes.com and http://groups.google.com/group/alt.rv.pop-up-trailers?hl=en&lr= for more PUP specific ideas.

Best of luck to you,
George and family
George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 08:47 PM   #5
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
I would also like to welcome you to IRV2. As you see folks are ready to help around here. You have gotten some great help and ideas. We have had ours everywhere, we were in Indiana in March and Ill. Florida , and the smokies. Out west in hot weather and cold. We have AC and heat. Another thing for cool nights if you have power is a electric blanket you can lay on , under a air mattress or under your sheet if you don't want a air mattress helps a lot. We run a small electric heater up on the counter, on low to keep the chill out also. another good thing, Space blankets , silver on one side some other color on the other over the bed ends. Silver up in summer , silver down in winter helps with the heat, it stays mostly with the silver. If you have anymore questions just ask.

Have fun.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:26 AM   #6

Phooey, you don't need a heater.

Get an A/C unit with a heat strip, a couple of electric blankets and some below 32 F rated sleeping bags. This is much less expensive.

Our record cold on a Thanksgiving campout in the Georgia mountains was 19 F. It didn't take long to get dressed and moving, but even the 5 year old was snug.

I would encourage a potable water filtering system and a grey water system. Potable water can carry some real nasties that can spoil a campout. Grey water systems are required at many campgrounds and are respectfull of the next camper on your site.

I sure don't relish the idea of someone else's schmutz splashed around campsites.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:37 PM   #7

A/C with a heat strip may be great, but a small heater that you can place where you need it most may be more convenient.

Welcome to the site.. to see what I play with click on my picture site.
Old 08-06-2005, 07:05 AM   #8

Hey everyone the advice you gave me was great!! Now I feel better about what to do with my car and what options I need for my popup, but what about the brand and year of a older popup? I've noticed info on the lift system of Colemans having problems, what years were good and bad? What other late model were good? Thanks again for all your help.
Old 08-08-2005, 01:33 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
My sister bought my 98 Coleman sea pine. She is a single mom with three daughters, and they are camping more and more as she gets comfortable towing.
So far, she has not had any problems with the lift system on this one. If you have any other questions shoot me a e-mail.lzapka@earthlink.net

2 Boys & My Pups
NYMoose "Lenny" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 07:53 AM   #10

Just remember that with anything used you will need to be very careful about trusting what the sellers say. Do LOTS of research. Sit down and decide what you really need and what you can do without. Look at how you camp (place/length of stay/time of year).

For us... we bought an old 1974 Apache pop-up back around 1987 because it gave us the solid sides of a trailer without the added height which meant we didn't increase our fuel consumption by much. We knew nothing about Apaches (I've learned a lot since then including how to fix cracks in ABS). We have remodeled the interior of the Apache 2 times to suit our needs. We've had this pop-up for almost 19 yrs (time to get rid of it) and pulled it many miles. And we tend to stay in it for weeks at a time and year-round (we live/camp in the SE). The year-round camping meant we added insulation (at the least you need to add Reflectix to the bed decking, it just makes it more comfortable to sleep) to make things more comfortable during the heat of the summer (no ac) and the chill of the winter. We added space for a microwave oven or my rotisserie oven depending on what foods we wanted while camping. I ripped out the original 12 volt DC system when the converter died becasue it ran only the 2 very inadequate lights (replaced with 6 switched flourescent lights so I we can not only read, but we can also see what we are cooking). Replaced the single bowl sink with a SS double bowl sink (easier to wash dishes). Added many more duplex outlets and installed a 30 amp breaker box so now I can stay plugged in overnight while popped down with only the electric fridge running as well as a phone line (which I may never use) and CATV (interior & exterior) because so many of the campgrounds have cable now. We use a portable potti (on our second one) for night time & rainy day use (it always rains) and I need to pick up a small point of use water heater for hot water to the sink. This works for us. We never camp without water and electric hook-ups and we use the campgrounds bath house for showers & toilets. Our 12vDC system never worked right (watch for this as many are messed up for various reasons). Actually it was so messed up that we decided it was dangerous (our converter would get so hot that you could barely touch it before it would trip the built-in breaker). When we removed the road cover to add insulation & replace the 12vdc lights, we found dark brown marks where the light had started melting the ABS road cover and interior ceiling. Take your time looking at your potentially "new" pop-up (even those that are factory new). If you aren't up on wiring, then take someone with you that is. Make sure you get an owner's manual (or can locate one via internet). Set it up in your yard and take it down before you take off on a trip far from home. Good Luck!
Old 08-09-2005, 12:50 PM   #11

A heat strip and electric blankets will do you no good if it's 25F outside and there are no electric hookups.

CampingColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 05:07 AM   #12

Mike,

Same situation when the propane bottle is empty.

I haven't run out of electricty when hooked into campground power.