Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Pop Up, Tent Trailer and Teardrop Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-24-2003, 02:17 PM   #1

i just had my first camping trip in my pu.when i got to my camp site i used a 2ft level on the toung of my pu to get itleveled ,after i opened it up i put the level on the floor of the pu and it was off(front to back).i want to get a level thats mounts on my pu,can someone recommend a type of level and where to mount it? thanks

98 TOYOTA TACOMA 4X4
00 STARCRAFT STARFLYER

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2003, 02:17 PM   #2

i just had my first camping trip in my pu.when i got to my camp site i used a 2ft level on the toung of my pu to get itleveled ,after i opened it up i put the level on the floor of the pu and it was off(front to back).i want to get a level thats mounts on my pu,can someone recommend a type of level and where to mount it? thanks

98 TOYOTA TACOMA 4X4
00 STARCRAFT STARFLYER

Old 07-24-2003, 02:33 PM   #3

These are the ones I plan on getting for my popup. I will mounth them on the front corner and they read inches off, so you know how many inches to obtain level and easy to read. I think they are only about 7 bucks.

Whopper
98 Ford F-150 4x4 Triton 5.4L
1992 Palomino Hardsided Popup

My Texas Camping Webpage

98 Ford F-150 4x4 Triton 5.4L
Whopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 03:35 PM   #4

"Whopper",

Those are the ones to get for the reason stated. As far as mounting goes, you may want to put one in the front or the back but place it center over the long axis of the trailor. Place the other on either side, as close to center over the axel as you can get. These are your two pivot points and if placed there, you will read about as accurate as you can get (or need to worry about). IMHO.

Happy Camping!

Happy Camping!
Turn Key & DW
'03 Chevy 2500HD, X-Cab, Long Bed, 4X4
'99 SeaPine ("Sunday Haus")
NTPUCA
Turn Key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 03:41 PM   #5

What I did was, 1- Raise the roof of the pop up about 1 foot, 2- Place a 48 inch level across the top of the body (side)and level the camper front to back, installed my stick-on level on the side making sure the bubble was centered before sticking it on, 3- Same procedure, just put the 48 inch level across the front or back of the body.
Old 07-24-2003, 06:34 PM   #6

We use a 2-foot level when setting up, too. We first check level on the back bumper and the front tongue. If we need to, this is the time to use a levelling tool to make the camper as level as possible side-to-side.

Then I place the same level on the floor inside the door AND on the stepper door. We level the camper front-to-back using the tongue jack. The whole process usually takes 5 minutes or less.

By the way, we use pressure-treated boards to level the camper. I've thought about a BAL leveller, but $$ always makes me pause...

- Dave

96 Chevy PU
99 Coleman Sun Valley

kasten32303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 07:20 PM   #7

Y'all think BIG! I use a torpedo level and a BAL leveler. The torpedo level is plenty accurate, quick, and is easy to store. The BAL leveler has made my life simpler too.

- Dave
Old 07-25-2003, 07:34 AM   #8

I didn't know y'all Oreganians spoke "Redneck"

Easy now....I can say that since my mom's from Alabama and my dad's from Arkansas. My neck's flamin'

1997 Chrysler Town & Country 3.8L-V6
2000 Coleman Mesa (A/C, add-a-room, grey water storage)
Class III Hidden-Hitch, Prodigy Brake Controller, Reese Friction Sway Control

2000 Coleman Mesa (A/C, add-a-room, grey water storage)
thebrakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 08:15 AM   #9

Whopper, I like your choice of indicators... see my pix on
More Flagstaff Mac 205
Medorg

<A HREF="http://www.wunderground.com/US/MO/Kansas_City.html" TARGET=_blank>
</A>

[This message was edited by Medorg on Fri July 25 2003 at 04:52 PM.]
Old 07-25-2003, 11:51 AM   #10

I use a set just like whoper has. One on the front of the pop-up (in the middle), so I can check the side to side level, the other is on the side near the front, this makes it easy to crank the tongue jack up or down, check the level, and do it again. For front to back leveling I have found that 6 cranks on the jack give me one inch of leveling motion. For front to back, I use as many 1" boards as needed to move the bubble to center. Simple and the levels are alsways with me

R. Cabrales
Greenbelt, MD
2000 Honda Odyssey
1988 Palomino Mustang SC
Cabrales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 02:39 PM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Too many tents:
Y'all think BIG! I use a torpedo level and a BAL leveler. The torpedo level is plenty accurate, quick, and is easy to store. The BAL leveler has made my life simpler too.

- Dave<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dave, I'll see your torpedo level and raise you one! We do this very same thing with one exception....I have a Zircon(?) torpedo level that gives an electronic "beep" when level. I open the door, set up the level on the floor to read front to back and raise or lower the tongue jack and....... wait-for-the-beep! Repeat the process, side-to-side with the BAL and we're done. Before y'all laugh, the kids get a kick out of watching the level and letting me know when it beeps. And yes, we have extra batteries.

SkipP
Camper Mods: http://community.webshots.com/user/skipp35
Outdoor Photo Site: http://www.bellsouthpwp.net/o/u/outdoorphoto/

Camper Mods: http://community.webshots.com/user/skipp35
SkipP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 04:33 PM   #12

thanks for all the help.i think will get the hoppy mounting levels,i use 2x6 cca wood with 45degree cuts to act like a ramp for side to side leveling.i also put 2inch x 2inch strips of wood at the ends of the ramp to act like a chocks,seems to work? thanks again!!!!!!!

98 TOYOTA TACOMA 4X4
00 STARCRAFT STARFLYER
Old 07-26-2003, 07:31 PM   #13

Check our the level under the heading of modifications on my web site. I think it cost me all of $0.50 CAD and it works great. I leveled the trailer at home and the glued the level to the tongue making sure it also read level in both directions. Now when I pull onto the campsite, I can quickly check if I am level or not. In most case if I move the trailer forward or back a couple of feet it usually levels our from side to side. If not, I use my Lynx levelers. This little level works great for me and it was very inexpensive.

Bill
1978 Chevy Blazer
1992 GMC Safari
2000 Camplite 12SL
Trail_blazer Website
Magical Flying Camper Club

[This message was edited by Trail_blazer on Sun July 27 2003 at 03:02 PM.]
Old 02-27-2005, 06:13 AM   #14

What is a BAL level??