Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2012, 07:22 AM   #1

Looking for a popup

Hi, Bob here, new to the forum so I wanted to say hello and tell you why I am here.

I have been looking and researching purchasing a popup (new or used). I have looked at several used units and being new to the game I have not found one I feel comfortable investing in.

I thought maybe a new one might be a safer venture but there are none out there. I see some unknown off brands on ebay but I don't think that is a good idea.

Any idea why there is no stock of popups when the RV dealers are flooded with big units. I am guessing the profit margin must be a lot less in the popup world. We visited a dealer last night that must have had over 50 big units on site.
mgbbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2012, 06:38 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Bob,

I'm new to the forums myself. I have no idea why there would be such a dearth of available units. I *can* tell you that my husband and I greatly enjoyed our Jayco pop-up for many vacations. :0) It is the only "brand" of pop-up I would ever buy (it was the only one that was ever recommended to us by people I asked), and we have had VERY good luck with it. The only problem we ever had was that we had an ice storm one year that took down several LARGE branches that were over-hanging the unit. They ended up punching holes in the roof, which we didn't notice at first, so water got in and we ended up with some mold on the canvas. Everything else has been in great working order, including and especially the lift system.

I hope you find a Jayco (new or used) somewhere close to you!!! You might try the classified ads in the local newspaper or Craigslist.

Best of Luck!
codyak522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:40 PM   #3

So where are you that you can't find a good new pop-up?

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:09 AM   #4

We are in the Kansas City area
Old 06-18-2012, 02:27 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Smile Pop-Ups in the KC Area

Bob,

We live in the KC area, too! Have you tried Trailside RV (near Grain Valley) off of I-70? When we were shopping for our pop-up, we also went to the Truman Lake area (Clinton, MO). There were lots of options there, but the only Jayco dealer (at the time) was Trailside, which is where we eventually ended up. You might think about renting a unit this summer, if you're not in a big hurry to buy, just to try it out. Then in January, there's a big RV Show at Bartle Hall, where you can get LOTS of information - we LOVE to go there! I wish you much luck!!!

P.S. I just drove by Liberty RV (I live close by), and they had a FEW pop-ups on their lot; don't know if they're new or used.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:36 PM   #6

Kids just got a good deal on one on craigslist. Around here anyway the list is full of them. Dont be afraid of a little work and you should find a lot of great bargains.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:13 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Bob,

You got me to wondering about this, so I did a quick search on Craigslist Kansas City for "pop up" under RV (both owner and dealer). I found TONS of them! Many are like new (and have a price tag that matches), and there are many that are older, but still clean. There is even a listing for a 1976 Apache in good working order (and those things are legendary!) Anyway, I thought I'd attach the link to my search, but if that doesn't work, just go to Craigslist and type in "pop up" in the search criteria under "For Sale - RVs"

kansas city recreational vehicles - all classifieds "pop up" - craigslist

Hope this helps!!!
Old 06-19-2012, 08:24 AM   #8

Thanks all, I have been watching Craigs List and did look at 3 last weekend. I guess I must be a bit picky but non had the right equipment or needed some work.

I think the problem with the dealers might be they don't update the online information with the pop up info. I will try the phone call approach.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:38 AM   #9

If you buy new , you get a warranty on the lift system , and canvas
Buy used no warranty , are you going to keep it a while or trade in a couple yrs?

Pop ups , jayco , Starcraft , viking , forest river , the new company building the Coleman look a like,

2010 we bought a Coleman bayside , then the company filed bankrupt , my lifetime warranty went with them , never had a real problem .
2012 went to the dark side and bought TT

Deals are out there new and used , you have to do a lot of research, we drove 300 miles and saved about 3,000 on the Coleman we bought new.

Happy search
capsfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:42 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
One point of advice, new or used get a popup with the front storage trunk. Otherwise all the stuff like chairs, tools, firewood, grill, brooms, case or water, cases of pop can go there. The brands that have the sliding tray that comes out the side storage door are a good idea, but you loss too much storage space for that tray. Back in 99' we were looking at used pop-ups, but didn't find anything good for the asking price. Ended up buying a new Coleman. Didn't like the price the local dealer wanted. Googled the brand and model and a dealer 90 miles away wanted $1800 less.....
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:54 AM   #11

Use a 2005 Viking. Works great. Has a/c, heat ref ridge and sink and 15 gallon fresh water tank. Was purchased used in 2009. We knew the previous owner and he had taken it across country with no problems.
gjacobs12 is offline   Reply With Quote