Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2010, 02:36 PM   #1

Question LPG Gas detector

Went on our first trip with our 05 Fleetwood Newport pop-up last weekend and everything went well until we used the shower! when the water heater kicked on the LPG detector kept going off but when the water heater turned off it stopped! it didn't go off when I initally lit the heater and it brought the water up to temp. and it was on all night and no problem only when we used the shower so I'm thinking it is something with the exahust and/or the burner. anyone have any insight on this?
Thanks
Dennis
dentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2010, 03:43 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dennis, I'm not familiar with the water heaters in pop-up's (mine didn't have one all those years ago) but it does sound like an exhaust or vent problem. Make sure some critter didn't set up house keeping in the flue during the winter.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:30 PM   #3

Thanks Jim, that was one of the first things I checked and all was clear! kinda a strange situation! I wonder if the burner is going and still works but isn't fully burning and allowing some propane to pass through without ignighting.
dentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 05:47 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Check the vent coming out of the water heater. I use a old kitchen flexible 3 foot spray wand with a small rag taped to the end. I'll run it in the top exhaust opening and push it in until it loops around to the ignitor. Then I will use a air hose to blow out all the black gunk. Stand to the side because you will get plastered in soot if it has not been done in a few years. I do this now a few times a season. There might be enough cobwebs causing some LP gas fumes to not find their way out the top vent opening good enough.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:05 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Once ya get everything cleaned out, go buy a cheap flea collar, take it out of the pkg & leave it coiled up inside the water heater compartment. I read a long time ago on some forum (might've been this one) where spiders like the smell of propane, but not flea collars. We've been putting one each in our water heater & fridge compartments for years & have never had issues with spiders or webs.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 04:59 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Once ya get everything cleaned out, go buy a cheap flea collar, take it out of the pkg & leave it coiled up inside the water heater compartment. I read a long time ago on some forum (might've been this one) where spiders like the smell of propane, but not flea collars. We've been putting one each in our water heater & fridge compartments for years & have never had issues with spiders or webs.

Lori-
Well now how about that idea...give the lady in the front row a prize. I wonder if it works for dirt dabbers, that's my problem. I'm gonna try it.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:49 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
... I wonder if it works for dirt dabbers, that's my problem. I'm gonna try it.
Can't confirm that, but come to think of it, we haven't had any mud-dauber wasps try to make a home in those compartments either. Might be a 2-fer.

Don't buy the expensive brand name flea collars. I've had the same luck with the cheapies from WM or local store brand. They last about 3 months.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 04:59 PM   #8

If it has been a long time between cleanings the tubes may need to be cleaned but also the controller at the burners start to corrode and need to be cleaned and tuned sometimes even changed. This happened to me and I ended up having to change the controller for $125
Monster99 is offline   Reply With Quote