Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Pop Up, Tent Trailer and Teardrop Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-28-2005, 07:23 AM   #1
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I pull a sleeper pop-up behind my MH for my girls. I have notice black spots appearing on the roof of the bed ext's. What is causing this an how can it be removed an kept from reappearing. The roof fabric is like a vinyl outside, with cloth surface on the inside. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP ---"007"

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2005, 07:23 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I pull a sleeper pop-up behind my MH for my girls. I have notice black spots appearing on the roof of the bed ext's. What is causing this an how can it be removed an kept from reappearing. The roof fabric is like a vinyl outside, with cloth surface on the inside. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP ---"007"

Old 03-28-2005, 10:23 AM   #3

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
I sometimes feel like towing my kid behind us too when we're on the road, oh.... you meant the pop-up behind the MH is for the kids AFTER you get to the campsite.

I haven't tried too many goos on my trailers other then light soap and my sweat, but my local RV supply shop sold me some 303 protectant. You can take a look at their website which is extensive and it has lots of info and even free samples available.
There could be better or worse, I am not a detailer, but it sure came recommended to me. We use it on our awning which is probably similar to your fabric.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 01:50 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Should have been more to the point the mold is on the interior roof of pop-up, laying down in the slide out bed, look up at roof of bed area see black spots all over it. The vinyl has cloth applied on the inside an this cloth has the black spots. How can it be removed? ----"007"
Old 04-01-2005, 02:49 AM   #5

007, I know they use a mild bleach solution in house restoration to eliminate mold. I'd be tempted to take a spray bottle and mix about 1/4 cup Clorox with at least 4 cups of plain water. Spray some on a remote part of the fabric, use a soft brush to work it around a little, then daub it off with dry paper towels. I'm not sure a 'rinse' would really be required. Just my 2 cents...
Old 04-01-2005, 06:14 AM   #6

DO NOT PUT BLEACH ANYWHERE NEAR VINYL. It eats it for breakfast then looks for more...if your tent material is just cloth a weak bleach is ok, but try a little in an out of the way spot as already suggested. This is my 5 cents worth, how do I know?. I did a very expensive experiment !!! (more than just 2 cents) ....
Old 04-01-2005, 08:37 AM   #7

10% bleach solution should be the max. It is what is advised for most uses. Bloodborne pathogens, etc. Water activates the bleach. I've been in Emergency Response for many years and we always have bleach and water on hand to mix when needed. One thought though is we use standard household bleach and Clorox is now putting out a stronger concentration.

Thanks for the comment about the vinyl. I hadn't thought about that. I've never seen the 10% solution damage any vinyl but it could definitely occur.

1992 HR Imperial, "87" Prowler Lynx, "88" Coleman Williamsburg.
RedHR35CSXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 08:08 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks everyone I will use your Clorox solution deluted, an try the 303 on outside vinyl maybe it will stop inside spotting. ---"007"