Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Pop Up, Tent Trailer and Teardrop Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-29-2008, 12:28 PM   #1

I just bought a 1982 Palomino pop up tent trailer off of Craigslist and it was great except the top did not bolt down correctly. Well, on the way back from Yosemite the entire top FLEW off completely! Yikes! I would love to keep the camper and just replace the top because I saved the canvas and already painted the base and everything. Anyone have any ideas where I can go or how to fix this??? Anyone?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2008, 12:28 PM   #2

I just bought a 1982 Palomino pop up tent trailer off of Craigslist and it was great except the top did not bolt down correctly. Well, on the way back from Yosemite the entire top FLEW off completely! Yikes! I would love to keep the camper and just replace the top because I saved the canvas and already painted the base and everything. Anyone have any ideas where I can go or how to fix this??? Anyone?

Old 09-29-2008, 02:58 PM   #3

I would think you could go to a reputable place that makes bimini tops for boats. They use Sunbrella UV resistant, water resistant canvas and could make you a new one using your old top as a template.
Old 09-29-2008, 05:22 PM   #4

That would be great...except I left the top on the side of the freeway about 5 hours from where I live. I can't get it anymore and besides that...it was pretty thrashed. Any other ideas?? Thank you so much for responding. I'm really having a hard time trying to figure this one out.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:47 PM   #5

A really good (talented) boat canvas shop could make a colapsable frame and everything. Just because it isn't floating doesn't mean they can't figure it out.

What was the supporting structure like? I have seen them but do not know how they "pop" up or take down. Also, will another manufacturer of a similar sized trailer have a top that would work with maybe minor alterations?
Old 10-01-2008, 12:58 PM   #6

Here are some images of an '82 for reference. Was it like this one?

http://www.rvclearinghouse.com/index...s/item5759.htm

http://www.rvclearinghouse.com/index...06&page=1&c=15
Old 10-01-2008, 01:18 PM   #7

...just found this site...

http://rvworkshop.com/

http://rvworkshop.com/replacementcanvas.html

"To quote a price we need your camper year make model serial or VIN #." Email Sherry at:

Sherry@RVWorkShop.Com
Old 10-01-2008, 03:33 PM   #8

It was made out of like a sheet metal or something. I have no idea what I'm gonna' do. The way it popped up was with metal bars that pushed up, but those are damaged as well. Not sure what to do now.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:45 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by quikduk:
Here are some images of an '82 for reference. Was it like this one?

http://www.rvclearinghouse.com/index...s/item5759.htm
Yes, it was just like this one.
http://www.rvclearinghouse.com/index...06&page=1&c=15 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 10-01-2008, 03:46 PM   #10

Hey, quikduk...yes mine looks just like the pictures you have up... Bye the way, thank you so much for the link to that repair place. I sent my info and now I'm just waiting for a reply. Thanks again..a lot!
Old 10-06-2008, 12:32 PM   #11

Glad I could help. Let us all know how you fare with the replacement.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:48 PM   #12

Unfortunately, it was CRAZY expensive. The top would be $1495.00 to replace and shipping would be another $700.00. That's just Unbelievable! Remember, I only paid $150.00 for the entire pop up. Oh well, not sure what to do now. Maybe I'll still use the base of it and just set it up with a tent over it???? ..Could work.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:16 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Maybe put out a "want" ad on Craigslist looking for a damaged Palomino pop up that still had a good top. You would have to find out what years would fit. I bet there are 100's of old Palomino's sitting in backyards where their drive train ( wheels & axels) are shot but have a good top. I see your location is Lakewood. Is that Lakewood Ohio? or CA.? You can put a "Want" ad on Craigslist's regular RV section and the "Want" ad section. Also try other cities near you.

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote