Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Pop Up, Tent Trailer and Teardrop Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-14-2013, 11:07 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaron View Post
I have to comment on the previous post. It has some potentially dangerous advice.

"The only difference between my rav and yours is the V6 and the standard trans cooler. Suspension is the same and braking is the same. Adding a cooler is cheap and easy."

Not entirely sure, but I doubt they would put the same tranny in a 4 cyl car. Regardless, it doesn't change the factory tow rating.

"You would be completely fine towing anyof the 8foot hardtops from any manufacture. The comments on here about TW are not accurate. Your rav as mine is very capable of the tw's produced from pups."

If Toyota says 1,500 lbs., it's 1,500 lbs for a reason. There is no magic pixie dust that can change that number.

"Of course your 4 cyl will labor more but will work fine. RPM's DO NOT hurt a gas engine. They actually have systems in place stopping you from over revving them so don't worry."

If you are towing near redline, nothing is going to last very long, especially your nerves, ears, and credit limit on your gas card... (just gave away my age there, huh?)

"As far as brakes on pup....mine doesn't have any. They were never on my pup. I have never felt the need for them either. I have had to stop short and the Rav stopped it perfectly as yours will. I have towed all over the white mountain regions of NH as well. So plenty of hills."

Good that you have never needed them. I recommend them for any trailer, as do many others. There is nothing bad about having brakes on a trailer, and they are great when the trailer starts getting a little squirrelly in the wind, etc., and when you have a true emergency stop. 30+ years of towing here...

"Have confidence in your rav, it will perform great. Keeping your total weight at or around 1800 and you will be fine. 1800lbs should be easy to do."

If Toyota says it's 1,500 pounds... Is there an echo in here?

Does this mean I'm now an official member of the weight police?
It sure does

But the biggest issue I have is your complete lack of first hand knowledge, like I have towing, with a Rav4.
Do not understand why you would think the transmission would be different plus I do not understand why you would think that would matter for a few hundred pounds.

Your opinion that they will be towing at redline I think is quite silly. I do not believe you even believe that.

As far as why manufactures say what limit they can tow????? who knows...no one does.

The exact same vehicle overseas has a much higher tow rating so unlike what you feel the difference relates to it certainly isn't mechanics.

Now about your brake comment. I never once said that brakes are never needed. I simply stated that a lot of pups, like my 2007 10 foot Flagstaff, do not have them and I personally never felt "I"needed them. What you are saying is I need to run out and install brakes. Most 8 footers will not have brakes and I was only reassuring the OP that I have had no issues with many miles towing (as you have).

In closing this ,I joined a few days ago and this may be my last post. I have better things to do than to be accused of giving dangerous advice.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2013, 06:20 AM   #16

Popupcamping - Sorry if I hurt your feelings or insulted you. That was not my intent.
Some of us have seen a lot of things and err on the side of caution. I'll get to that point later.

Transmissions - I Googled really quick and found this;
"All trims are available with either a new, more powerful 2.5-liter, 179-hp inline-4 and four-speed automatic transmission or a 3.5-liter, 269-hp V6 and five-speed automatic transmission." I thought that they would be different because they usually are. I used to be a Porsche engine/drivetrain tech...
2010 Toyota RAV4 Overview

The same source verified that the V-6 has a 3,500 lb. towing capacity.

Brakes are an opinion only on a trailer this small, but highly recommended because the TV is small, too. They can always be added later to a trailer that has flanges on the axle. My first popup (Starcraft 1701) didn't have brakes. Just shipping the parts to Korea was $600! I finally figured out a way to ship them for less than a third of that, and what a difference. I had brakes on all of my construction company trailers, but they were up to 11-ton load rating.

Now to the point of erring on the side of caution.
Web_diva is;
1. New to pulling a trailer
2. Has limited towing capacity
3. Hasn't been snookered by a slick salesman yet...

I don't want Web_diva or anyone else to have this happen to them.

Jack-knifed and totaled TV and trailer on first trip

"Recently went out in our brand-new Freedom Express Coachmen 302fkv and had it go out of control and end up jack-knifing and flipping in the middle of the highway. Want some advice...something was not right! Obviously! We are not sure if it is our fault or if we were sold something above our weight. Thank God no one was hurt!!"

Don't leave just because of me. Most are less cantankerous than I am.

BB

BTW -the redline thing was pure sarcasm

Old 09-15-2013, 07:14 AM   #17

First hand actual experience is worth more than anything. I told her my experiences. The fact the transmissions are different doesn't matter. Toyota matched it to work. Her RPM's are not going to change by a noticeable amount with an extra 300lbs of weight. I think you know that.
I want her to feel confident that she can buy an 8 foot pup without worrying. People have to start somewhere and she is starting at the bottom rung. She is doing everything right. Could she have problems? Sure, I have no idea if she has any skill to drive let alone tow but I am not going to discourage her from it based on her TV. So you post a thread about a 8k TT flipping???? I am sure you could find some OTR trucks flipped as well. Do they apply here? absolutely not.

Her Rav4 will tow 1800lbs perfectly as mine tows 2500lbs plus perfectly. Powertrain has nothing to do with sway and that is the only difference between hers and mine.

I actually am a member of the weight police but only at a certain level. The difference between a 1400lb trailer and a 1800 lb trailer is negligible imo. Payload ratings are the biggest concern and she is not going to be over hers. Tow ratings IMO are bogus on all levels from cars to 1 ton duelly's. Litigation and marketing has determined tow ratings more than actual ability IMO. The same Rav4 in Europe as hers has a 3300lb tow rating. Can she tow 3300lbs? not well , just as I wouldn't want that much behind my 3.5l .
We are not talking about a high wall TT here we are talking about the bottom rung of towing. Based on my "real life" experience and assuming she has good driving skills and knowledge she will be fine with her Rav.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:20 AM   #18

It's the only thread that I know of that illustrates a trailer accident.
I've had my say.
Be safe! Over and out.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:28 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaron View Post
It's the only thread that I know of that illustrates a trailer accident.
I've had my say.
Be safe! Over and out.

you might as well searched the internet for a plane crash or a boat sinking and linked that as well because they have about the same amount of relevance.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:37 PM   #20

There are some amazing things represented here. I certainly wouldn't quit posting on an internet forum because of one thread. But you also can't expect zero rebuttals if you claim it will be fine to disregard towing and loading limits. Even worse there is a theme here that seems to indicate that it is all ok to do this without trailer brakes. The people giving this advice also do not seem to have direct experience with the EXACT vehcile in question.

In my state towing any trailer that cannot be stopped from 20mph in 40 feet is illegal. In addition a few hundred pounds is a big percentage of a small towing limit.

For my opinion, I think that it is a bad way to start out towing over the tow limt. Likely at or over GCWR, GVWR, and no trailer brakes sounds bad. My comments focused on finding a PU under the limits, but I'll join in and say I think some of the advice here (if followed) could lead to behavior that I would also call "dangerous". Maybe the consensus will mean something.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:59 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaycj View Post
The people giving this advice also do not seem to have direct experience with the EXACT vehcile in question.
I have direct experience with the vehicle in question.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:12 PM   #22

Quote:
Even worse there is a theme here that seems to indicate that it is all ok to do this without trailer brakes.
Not once did I make this indication. I merely stated that most 8 foot pups do not have brakes and neither does my 10 footer. I have never had the need for them in countless miles of mountain and interstate towing. Also on more than one occasion I have had to stop short because of a jackass pulling out in front of me. Flawless breaking ability and I have 2500plus pounds. Newer pups will have brakes anyway so your points are moot. I am just stating my first hand ACTUAL experience with her TV. Unlike everyone else in this thread.

This forum is no different than the other useless forum rv.net....lots of people stating opinions with no direct experience

Signing out...good luck with your forum
Old 09-16-2013, 10:48 AM   #23

Web_diva - are you enjoying this? Wow.
Just so you know, I have been pulling trailers since 1978. The only thing I haven't had happen is jackknifing.
Have you found a trailer yet?
I hope you have.
I can't decide if I'm amused or annoyed by this "exchange".
Old 09-16-2013, 12:32 PM   #24

I forgot to speak to the point of experience with the exact TV. So, since I used to tow with only Fords and Chevys, my experience wouldn't be relevant for a Dodge. Hmmmm... :P
Old 09-19-2013, 06:32 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by popupcamping View Post
I have direct experience with the vehicle in question.
So own a 4 cylinder RAV on top of the 6 cylinder one you claimed to own in this thread? One is rated to tow the common popups in this thread, one is not. The vehicles are not the same.

i'm not getting drawn into an internet match of wits here. My opinion is that your advice is dangerous. All of it. I added my second post to state that I was in agreement with the other posts that agreed with that line of thinking. I was hoping that more opinions would help the OP make an informed decision, not one based on some weird math involving extrapolating a higher than published tow rating from the fact that you own a similar vehicle with a higher tow rating.

BigBaron has provided a reasonable possible solution. A popup that will likely be "under the numbers". In this thread, it seems we agree.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:21 AM   #26

Quote:
So own a 4 cylinder RAV on top of the 6 cylinder one you claimed to own in this thread? One is rated to tow the common popups in this thread, one is not. The vehicles are not the same.

i'm not getting drawn into an internet match of wits here. My opinion is that your advice is dangerous. All of it. I added my second post to state that I was in agreement with the other posts that agreed with that line of thinking. I was hoping that more opinions would help the OP make an informed decision, not one based on some weird math involving extrapolating a higher than published tow rating from the fact that you own a similar vehicle with a higher tow rating.

BigBaron has provided a reasonable possible solution. A popup that will likely be "under the numbers". In this thread, it seems we agree.
So other than stepping on the gas and being able to move the load quicker what issues are you worried about then?

Every other aspect of our 2 Ravs concerning towing are the same.

Are you trying to imply that engine size is a safety concern? How? The size of the engine is going to keep you from having sway,stopping? are you really that ignorant to think this engine can't bring an 1800lb trailer to 65mph?...and if it slowed on hills just like thousands of other trailers on the road she would be risking her life? Give me a break. Moronic thinking.

The factors involved in safe towing are Suspension and Brakes. Which I have first hand knowledge of when it comes to Ravs. YOU DO NOT HAVE ANY.

Her tow rating is 1500 simply because that is the category it fits in.In Europe it is 3200. Most 8 foot pups with 3way fridges will run 1200-1400. She will only be over by a couple hundred at best. With your logic if she NEEDS to stay at 1500 and decided to bring their 200 lb friend on a trip they would be screwed?????

This forum is just as bad as the rest. People coming on here with opinions and accusing others of "dangerous advice" when they have no direct proof to say this.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:27 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnailer View Post
You might consider a pop up made for pulling with a motorcycle.

nice comment coming from someone who is also at or over a few ratings on their TV.

1100lbs max payload with your cherokee and your trailer has a posted dry TW of 635lbs. No question you are over your payload rating. The OP will not be with her rav4. Just saying
Old 09-19-2013, 07:43 AM   #28
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Folks, let's keep it civil please!

Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote