Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Pop Up, Tent Trailer and Teardrop Topics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2008, 05:24 PM   #1

We have never owned a rv of any type and really don't know that much about them. Is Jayco pop ups good quality or are there other brands that are better? We have seen an older 2000 Rockwood Hybrid that is about the same price as a 2007 Jayco 1207 pop up, which is better? I don't know if your better quality wise getting an older hybrid or a newer pop up. Any advise or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! We really don't want to spend a lot of money, so that is why we were looking at pop ups.
Thanks a lot!
blaina8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2008, 05:24 PM   #2

We have never owned a rv of any type and really don't know that much about them. Is Jayco pop ups good quality or are there other brands that are better? We have seen an older 2000 Rockwood Hybrid that is about the same price as a 2007 Jayco 1207 pop up, which is better? I don't know if your better quality wise getting an older hybrid or a newer pop up. Any advise or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! We really don't want to spend a lot of money, so that is why we were looking at pop ups.
Thanks a lot!
blaina8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 12:06 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
blaina8...
Welcome to iRV2! This is a great RV forum with many frindly & helpful owners ...but it looks like all the Pop-Up owners might be out in their units this weekend!

I am sure you will get a few responses early in the week...after everyone gets home and unpacked.

Again...welcome to iRV2! We hope you visit & post often.

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 01:41 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Glad to have you here on iRV2.com. For a first RV, you can save some money on a few year old unit over a new one and not have such a big hit on the depreciation in the first year.

When shopping for used look at NADA Guides for some pricing. The dealers (stealers) will try to tell you that the high retail is normal sales price. Truth is they really go closer to low retail and no options added.

The first big thing to remember in RV shopping is NEVER BELIEVE THE RV SALESMAN.

Next rule, sort of related to the first one...RV salesmen lie!.

Have fun shopping and don't fall in love with the first one and get suckered. RV sales are down and the buyer has control now. Be prepared to walk out if you feel and unease with the salesman, the dealer ship or the way you are treated. There are plenty of hungry salesmem out there.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 12:12 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
blaina8, welcome to our website and forum. We are glad to have you join us here. You are wise to do some homework before buying. I wise I could be of more help with your question but wanted to welcome you. Take care and enjoy the forums.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 06:58 PM   #6

New Horizons Owners Club
Blain,

Welcome aboard. If you are not excited about getting a pop-up, then I am excited for you. A pop-up was the first thing we got when we graduated from a tent. And now that I have been in a 5th wheel for several years, my memories of the great times my family had in the pop-up are still fresh.

There are lots of choices to make out there. But getting a previously owned rig is the way to go if you can find one that fulfills your wants. Notice I did not say 'needs'. If you just get what you need then you leave out a lot of the fun.

So, how big is family? If it is just the two of you then you can look at rigs that one large bed and one small bed. They will usually be smaller and lighter; and easier on fuel consumption.

If there is four of you, as in my case, that can work well if the kids get along well enough to sleep together. I was lucky as mine were okay with it until they hit their teens (and we bought the 5th wheel). But you will probably want to look at the rigs that have the two large slide-out beds. Jayco, Starcraft and Coleman/Fleetwood all have models built since the late 90's with these beds.

Something to watch out for are the lift mechanisms. Those roofs are heavy and not all lifts are built the same. From about 2000 on Coleman/Fleetwood were really putting a lot of engineering into theirs with robust waranties. Rigs built closer to present day are probably better for all the builders. Regardless, get comfortable with getting down on the ground and looking up at the lifts to see if the cables look good and all the fastners are anchored well and not corroded.

Roofs are another item that need attention. Coleman/Fleetwood had a lot of problems in the 90's with their one-piece plastic roof. Great concept, no seams, no joints, no caulk, no maintenance. However, particularly on the longer boxes, the roofs would tend to sag in the heat of the summer. Especially if there was an AC or bike/canoe rack on top. Coleman/Fleetwood had a "fix" by putting support bars on the inside. This was agood fix but they ultimately moved away from the one-piece.

Costs, just like when you buy a car or truck, can be heavily influenced by the options. There are units that are very basic and have only a space for a cooler (no fridge), one power outlet and a tiny sink. The other end of the scale has rigs with AC, double automatic-switching propane tanks, refrigerator/freezer, XM radio, TV/Cable wiring, "decor" packages, full (but tiny) bathroom and on and on.

Your signature did not have where you are from nor did you mention where your camping interest lie, but if you are going to camp where it is hot (or especially humid), then seriously consider getting a rig with an AC. It will make a huge difference in your sleep quality and make August camping trips possible when everybody else is home hugging their AC in the stix & bricks.

There is a Pop-Up forum on this site. It has a ton of information that has accumulated over the years. I would recommend spending some time skimming through this information. I would hazard a guess that there is a posting or two about any rig you may be interested in.

Good luck in your search for you rig. Any questions, just ask.
jperry29 is offline   Reply With Quote