Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Pop Up, Tent Trailer and Teardrop Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-19-2005, 10:24 AM   #1

We just bought our first pop-up a Starcraft 2107 with a GVR of 2120# and the Grand Caravan max at 3800#. I bought my Grand Caravan without the Tow Package. I am hoping to only use this as a TV for a year, and am not going farther than 45 minutes from home this year. Having said that I don't want to hurt the van because it needs to last a while. When I load the trailer onto the minivan the back end is real low. I know I am going to get a transmission oil cooler, but what should I do about the rear end problems. Nobody seems to have an answer at the RV dealer, or at the Dodge dealer they both say it is fine. Remember new at this so be gentle.

2003 Starcraft 2702
McLaughlinGroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2005, 10:24 AM   #2

We just bought our first pop-up a Starcraft 2107 with a GVR of 2120# and the Grand Caravan max at 3800#. I bought my Grand Caravan without the Tow Package. I am hoping to only use this as a TV for a year, and am not going farther than 45 minutes from home this year. Having said that I don't want to hurt the van because it needs to last a while. When I load the trailer onto the minivan the back end is real low. I know I am going to get a transmission oil cooler, but what should I do about the rear end problems. Nobody seems to have an answer at the RV dealer, or at the Dodge dealer they both say it is fine. Remember new at this so be gentle.

2003 Starcraft 2702
McLaughlinGroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 01:59 PM   #3

Welcome, check out this forum. Click here
Hope this helps you out.

DH (Larry) <><
Allegro Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 06:25 PM   #4

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to George Miklas
Caravans have an hydraulic brake equalization valve on the rear axle. To make any aftermarket modifications will negate the benefit of this valve--this includes even a weight distribution hitch.

My Voyager rides the same way. I am more concerned about my tires than the low ride of the van.

George
George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 07:35 AM   #5

I used to pull a 2000lb pop-up with my '02 Caravan (before trading up). Had the same problems as you all.

Installed a set of these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=7963498696

Helped a bunch. Easy to install.

2000 Yukon XL
Amgaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 07:16 PM   #6
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
One problem with a low rear end on the TV, is that you will be very susceptible to sway from the camper. Our Ford Explorer had the same problem and we went to the weight distribution hitch to solve the problem It worked perfect. It was either that or a new TV. We didn't like the sway , we were loaded with in our limits, but the camper tongue was less then 18 " off the road witch was not right.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:46 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
I don't know,but does anyone know if rear air shocks on the Caravan would help?
Hoverbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 06:26 AM   #8

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to George Miklas
Air shocks will affect the brake system's loading valve. Sorry....but I thought of using air shocks myself but haven't on account of the valve.
George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 07:00 AM   #9

The nice thing about the Timbren load boosters is they don't engage until there is a load put on the van, and there are no adjustments. They take about 5-10 minutes to install and really helped.

2000 Yukon XL
Amgaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 08:51 PM   #10

We tow with a Caravan too. The sagging rear end was too much to accept so I installed air shocks. Fixed the problem.
After thousands of towing miles, we have had zero problems even in panic conditions.
We did add electric brakes to the camper though.
Old 07-02-2005, 07:04 AM   #11

When we had a pop up, I added AirLift® air bags to the rear springs of our Ford Windstar minivan. Worked great.
Between Trips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 04:16 PM   #12

Hi McLaughlinGroup,

We used to tow a Coleman SantaFe with a 1999 Dodge Grand Caravan. Changed to a Honda Odyessy in 2001. Both Vans had the same problem with a low backend. We camp about 3 months per year and never had any problems. Just had to be careful with high driveways.

Gary
Old 07-06-2005, 11:05 AM   #13

Keep in mind that these things will not increase the load capacity of your vehicle. Also, most of these aftermarket helper deviced shifts load to the shock mounts, which are not designed to carry loads, especially the air shocks.