Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Pop Up, Tent Trailer and Teardrop Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2014, 09:48 AM   #1

New Member here

Hi All,

I am a new member to this forum and new to the RV seen. I just became the proud owner of a 1979 Starcraft Galaxy 6 popup camper. It is in kinda rough shape. The previous owner did not have the top secured and drove down the road and yep, you guessed it, it popped open. Well the damage is one lost bead cushion, one damaged lift post arm, one broken cable, and the siding on the left rear top corner ripped an bent to peaces, and the canvas ripped in several places. There is a fare amount of mildew inside and needs a real cleaning and a fogging with concrobium but I am up for the task. If anyone has a suggestion for a deodorizer I would be much obliged.

I have given it a good power washing, and finally evicted the nest of yellow jackets that were living inside for some time, and started to get it opened up by propping each corner at a time with progressively longer pieces of 2x6. I almost have it fully up and will get it secured open with some stiff legs on the inside from floor to ceiling to insure my safety before continuing on the repairs needed.

I know at this time I need to repair the siding on the left rear corner and get the lift post arm re-secured as well as reconnecting the other rear one and replacing the front right one. The trim around the bottom of the roof is coming off because water has caused the inner plywood to rot and the screws no longer have any thing to bite into in places.

If I can get the top to go up and down safely and repair the rot and re-secure the trim and seal I will going down hill from there. I understand the canvas can be replace with a kit. (replacementcanvas.com)is the place I was referred to. If anyone knows of a better option please let me know. I do think I can sew and repair the rips and get buy without replacement, but I would like to consider replacement to make getting her really cleaned up possible.

I have plenty of carpentry, auto restoration, metal fabrication, fiberglass, and general repair experience. All that said, I feel good about bringing this one back to life with minimal expense. I do need some advice for where to get the parts I need and a repair manual if someone could guide me to them.

I look forward to getting this baby out into the great out doors with my wife and three boys. This is the first real possibility of getting the wife to camp, you know she needs the necessities in life that the woods do not offer, at least for her!

Anyway, thanks in advance for any suggestions and guidance,

Coming to a camp site near you!

Bobby
kromair is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2014, 10:17 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good luck with your project and enjoy it.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:20 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Bobby! Welcome to IRV2! It's great to have you join the gang here!

Hope you get the new rig restored soon! Enjoy the forum!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:20 AM   #4

dhowdy
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:48 AM   #5

Congrats and good luck with your project. We use febreeze, and then put the dryer fabric softner sheets out....they seem to soak up any odors. We used this at our house when our dog got sprayed by a skunk and ran thru the house before we noticed and could catch him...what a mess, that is such a nasty smell and so much stronger than the open air smell you get with skunks. But using this method eliminated the odor in two days.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:27 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome and glad to meet you!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 01:17 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club

Glad you're aboard Bobby. Congrats on the new to you rig. Best of luck in your restoration project and making Momma happy. Enjoy your adventures and be safe.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:05 AM   #8

new guy

Thanks for all the warm welcomes everyone. I just need to find some suppliers. I got her all opened up and went in for the first time yesterday. Let the adventures begin!

Bobby
kromair is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags