First of all hello to all as the new kid on the block.
We just purchased a used 2004 Jayco Qwest 12A w AC and electric brakes... no heater. We will pull it with a 1998 Toyota Sienna. We've installed a trans cooler, Prodigy brake controller, and a weight distribution hitch with sway bar. We've never done anything beyond tent camping so this will be new to us and I have never pulled a camper before so I plan on doing lots of driving practice before hitting the road. I've also purchased attachable extended mirrors for our van and popupgizmos sun shields for our bed sections since we are talking big time heat here in the South. As we head to the Northwest, we have a ceramic heater we plan to take use to take off the chill. Our first test run will be a local camp 13-15 June here in Alabama. And then we will camp our way for Alabama to Washington State in July over 14 days. Our family consists of the wife and I plus two boys (10 and 13) and our faithful greyhound. We've made camping arrangements at either KOAs, military RV sites, and two National Parks. OK. Here are the questions:
1. Any suggestions for great camp meals?
2. How about a general packing list?
3. Any checklists for setting up and breaking down your PUP?
4. Any suggestions for cleaning the fresh water tank (the last family only used it once since they owned it).
5. How important is that carpet I see in photos just outside the door? Will astro turf work? Do I need to peg it down?
6. I note some posts about bugs. So bug spray is a must. Ant and wasp looks like the stuff of choice. Anything else I should consider?
7. Do I need a portable camp kitchen (table shelves, etc.)?
8. The previous owner recommended I get new air valves for my tires. I've never heard that before. Your take?
9. The camper came with an awning and a screen. How important is putting up the screen?
10. I assume I'll need a container for grey water. Will I need to empty it daily to keep critter away?
11. Can you tell I'm a type A person who tries to think of everything? Hah!
Thanks in advance for your help!