Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Pop Up, Tent Trailer and Teardrop Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-24-2008, 02:19 AM   #1

First of all hello to all as the new kid on the block.

We just purchased a used 2004 Jayco Qwest 12A w AC and electric brakes... no heater. We will pull it with a 1998 Toyota Sienna. We've installed a trans cooler, Prodigy brake controller, and a weight distribution hitch with sway bar. We've never done anything beyond tent camping so this will be new to us and I have never pulled a camper before so I plan on doing lots of driving practice before hitting the road. I've also purchased attachable extended mirrors for our van and popupgizmos sun shields for our bed sections since we are talking big time heat here in the South. As we head to the Northwest, we have a ceramic heater we plan to take use to take off the chill. Our first test run will be a local camp 13-15 June here in Alabama. And then we will camp our way for Alabama to Washington State in July over 14 days. Our family consists of the wife and I plus two boys (10 and 13) and our faithful greyhound. We've made camping arrangements at either KOAs, military RV sites, and two National Parks. OK. Here are the questions:

1. Any suggestions for great camp meals?
2. How about a general packing list?
3. Any checklists for setting up and breaking down your PUP?
4. Any suggestions for cleaning the fresh water tank (the last family only used it once since they owned it).
5. How important is that carpet I see in photos just outside the door? Will astro turf work? Do I need to peg it down?
6. I note some posts about bugs. So bug spray is a must. Ant and wasp looks like the stuff of choice. Anything else I should consider?
7. Do I need a portable camp kitchen (table shelves, etc.)?
8. The previous owner recommended I get new air valves for my tires. I've never heard that before. Your take?
9. The camper came with an awning and a screen. How important is putting up the screen?
10. I assume I'll need a container for grey water. Will I need to empty it daily to keep critter away?
11. Can you tell I'm a type A person who tries to think of everything? Hah!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2008, 02:19 AM   #2

First of all hello to all as the new kid on the block.

We just purchased a used 2004 Jayco Qwest 12A w AC and electric brakes... no heater. We will pull it with a 1998 Toyota Sienna. We've installed a trans cooler, Prodigy brake controller, and a weight distribution hitch with sway bar. We've never done anything beyond tent camping so this will be new to us and I have never pulled a camper before so I plan on doing lots of driving practice before hitting the road. I've also purchased attachable extended mirrors for our van and popupgizmos sun shields for our bed sections since we are talking big time heat here in the South. As we head to the Northwest, we have a ceramic heater we plan to take use to take off the chill. Our first test run will be a local camp 13-15 June here in Alabama. And then we will camp our way for Alabama to Washington State in July over 14 days. Our family consists of the wife and I plus two boys (10 and 13) and our faithful greyhound. We've made camping arrangements at either KOAs, military RV sites, and two National Parks. OK. Here are the questions:

1. Any suggestions for great camp meals?
2. How about a general packing list?
3. Any checklists for setting up and breaking down your PUP?
4. Any suggestions for cleaning the fresh water tank (the last family only used it once since they owned it).
5. How important is that carpet I see in photos just outside the door? Will astro turf work? Do I need to peg it down?
6. I note some posts about bugs. So bug spray is a must. Ant and wasp looks like the stuff of choice. Anything else I should consider?
7. Do I need a portable camp kitchen (table shelves, etc.)?
8. The previous owner recommended I get new air valves for my tires. I've never heard that before. Your take?
9. The camper came with an awning and a screen. How important is putting up the screen?
10. I assume I'll need a container for grey water. Will I need to empty it daily to keep critter away?
11. Can you tell I'm a type A person who tries to think of everything? Hah!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Old 05-24-2008, 10:01 PM   #3

Where in Alabama do you live PM or E-mail me your phone number and I will try to answer some of your questions. We have a popup and a TT

Tom

00 Chevy 2500 6.0L 3.73
Sunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 06:24 PM   #4

Will do. We're just down the road in Montgomery, AL. I will send you a PM.

Thanks!