Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Pop Up, Tent Trailer and Teardrop Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-12-2006, 11:50 AM   #15

Well, I have pretty much made up my mind. I went and looked at the Flagstaff, Rockwood, Starcraft, and Jayco yesterday and satisfied my curiosity. I still prefer the Cobalt, and am most comfortable with the dealer and the salesman I am working with on the Cobalt. I checked out the little things like getting on the ground and looking at the frame and stabilizers, checked the construction of the cabinets, checked bed sizes and discussed things like brakes, hitches, and battery charging.
The Jayco dealer wanted to tell me I wanted a larger unit and encouraged me to push the limits of the TV!
The Rockwood and the Flagstaff are bascially the same as each other and although have an 8' box, weigh less than the Cobalt with a 7' box. That tells me the construction isn't as durable. The Starcraft 10RT weighs 750# more empty, is sold by the same dealer as the Cobalt, and my salesman agreed that I would be going 35mph over the passes with that unit.
Now it is time for the details part. Gonna get insurance prices, find a storage facility close to home, get the hitch installed, determine the price I want to pay, and FANTASIZE about our new toy. I am convinced this is the unit for us.

DoubleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2006, 06:38 AM   #16

Sounds like you did your homework and have come to an educated decision. Glad that you have got that part over with.

I can't believe that the dealer was going to have you pushing your tow limits! Unbelievable what some people will do to make a sale.

Happy Camping!

mamaloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 10:07 AM   #17

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
We bought a Fleetwood (Coleman) pop-up back in 99'. Once you know what model and options you want let the internet help you shop. The 3 fleetwood dealer near us didn't seem to want to deal as far as price. I seached on the internet for a dealer within a 2 hours drive and called the first one and told him here is what I want make it worth my time to drive 90 miles and buy from you. He called back in 5 minutes and offered a "out-the-door" price that was $1700 less than the intown dealers. I told him I would be out the next day with a deposit. done deal......Did the same thing when we upgraded to your new Aerolite Cub hybrid last year. I had 3 dealers within 125 miles giving me quotes. We looked at the fleetwood hybrids but the hitch weights were just way too heavy.
Owning the 99' Coleman pop-up for 6 years and about 225 nights of camping, she held up very nicely. We only lost about $2100 when we sold her last spring. So I would call up a few other dealers within a 2 hour drive and say this is what I want go from there. But never tell the dealer your dealing with now who gave you a better price, just tell him this is what was offered and if you want my business or any future sales "lets get er done". Because dealers know that once you get the camping bug and buy a pop-up somewhere down the line you will upgrade to a bigger unit and come back to who sold you the pop-up in the first place....

Jim
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 11:13 AM   #18

Great points, Jim. I will do that. I like the guy who spent 2-3 hours with us and would like to give him the business. But, getting prices from other dealers would put me in a position of dickering without completely alienating the guy.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:03 AM   #19

Hey all, thanks for all of the great feedback! I spoke with my dealer today and we agreed to make a deal. Although I hoped for a better price, I am getting the unit for $5595 less $500 for the tent trade in after tax. At 4.2% tax, that is $5830-$500=$5330 with tax. I will probably get the RVQue for the $200, also, even though I love my tabletop charcoal grill. He said they don't get them in with the canopy, so I can get it from him or not. It is $220 for the canopy at the dealer, Carefree models are only slightly more.
I checked Peco and they want $5100 without A/C and with a furnace, so my guy in Colorado is fairly close. I am not going to get the unit from Peco in Atlanta to Denver for any less, and the 2 other Front Range Cobalt dealers quoted me $6795 and $6195 plus extras.
Old 02-23-2006, 04:47 AM   #20

Congratulations!

mamaloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 06:59 AM   #21

The S-10 will tow it with no problem. I also had a 94 S-10 with the 4.6L V-6. I towed an Antigua 195CK that weighed 3000 lbs empty. The truck had no problem with that so the pop up should be a piece of cake.

Mike
Old 01-09-2008, 05:14 PM   #22

I see these are old posts, but for anyone with the same questions, we tow an '07 Cobalt with absolutely no difficulty behind a 4-cylinder Honda CRV with a 5-speed stick. I use the gears to stay in the power band above 3000 RPM on hills. We have a 1500 lb tow limit, so we can't fill the pup to capacity.

This Cobalt has high clearance, with leaf springs above the axle, and dirt roads or forest sites aren't a worry, but climbing in and out of it, especially with leveler blocks under the right side tire, requires attention.

In '06 when we shopped, we first looked at the Fleetwood (formerly Coleman) Taos. It was no longer in the Fleetwood catalog, but we were told it was still being made 'for select dealers.'

The 3 '06 Taos at the dealer had all sold when we went back with our deposit, and I'm glad we had to upgrade. The metal cabinetry in a Cobalt should last longer, and a metal backsplash serves to support the 'kitchen' tipped down into travel position, instead of a short leg that sticks up in back when set up.

We also had to take a furnace, and that has extended our season beyond our expectations.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:03 PM   #23

Congrats on your Cobalt, Redbear. We have pulled ours from Denver to Moab, Denver to Yellowstone/GTNP via the Beartooth Highway, and all around the state of Colorado. As you can see in my sig line, we have camped almost 80 nights in our Cobalt, dragging it many places some wouldn't drive without a PU. We are very happy with how it has held up on dirt and rough roads.

Where do you usually go camping?