Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Pop Up, Tent Trailer and Teardrop Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:18 PM   #1

Palomino Roof Rotted Wood Repair

We have a Palomino Filly (95). Unknown until too late, water entered between front, rear and side of roof where the skin and the aluminum trim meet. Long story short. All side wood about two inches up from lower edge is rotted. Managed to skin front aluminum from the wood...Not looking forward to doing more skinning. Any suggestions for possibly "sistering" a strip of red wood or possibly the new "plasitic" wood? I'd just as soon dump the thing for 500 and be done with it. Spouse is sentimentally attached to it though. We are the original owners and this is baisicly the only damage to it. Is a repair of this magnatude manageable by a handicapped person, or should sell as is? A/C is excellent, canvas is good. Suggestions appreciated. Hate it when women cry.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2011, 11:03 AM   #2

Woman crying is tough. The roof shouldnt be to tough with all the info and good threads available on the internet.

As crazy as it sounds I would love to get into a project like that for Fun.

Good luck! find some local extra hands to help out...

Old 06-11-2011, 11:24 PM   #3

Yes as Jimzz Said there Is alot of info and good threads on the internet..
I just replaced the 2 roof ends on my Palomino and I had no idea what to do until I started looking for some info ..
I came across alot of info .

I went out bought the wood ($14) and cut them to size and replaced the Old ones In 4 hours ..
Old 07-12-2011, 06:48 AM   #4

Same problem here, also with my Palomino. Glad to hear it's doable. Could you share the websites where you found good info?
Old 08-13-2011, 05:26 PM   #5

We just replaced all 4 sides of our roof on our 98 camplite, Had a rv worker do it on the side the same company want 3 gran he did it for 1 and made sure it all was working and had to replace 2 of the lift rods.

When I saw how he did it it was very do at home. he ran it up removed the top canvas holders let the canvas fall down inside. lowered the top to about face high braced it with 2 x 4 he made a platform for the top to rest on and placed it inside. removed all the wood on all 4 sides it was held on the top section by L brackets I had no wood left longer than a foot.

He than used marire grade plywood seeled it and just placed it back all the way around used less than a sheet of ply. on the long sides he used a butt brace on each side of the ply took him 3 days and it is great!! got a hole 1500 in this pop up
Old 08-13-2011, 08:13 PM   #6

Thank you so much for your description, it will help a lot.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:38 AM   #7

I know this is an old post but this problem is what lead me to this web site. I have a 1993 Palomino pop up- it had some roof damage also- I got lumber, created a cardboard pattern of the "good" and then used a jig saw to cut that shape into new wood, screwed it in to the remaining camper wood, I was able to pull the inside and outside of the roof pieces back together and then put corner braces in to hold the four corners together.

I hope this may help others who experience this problem.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:58 PM   #8

Thanks, Bruce, that gives me an idea for a way to go about it.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:07 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper Bruce View Post
...screwed it in to the remaining camper wood, I was able to pull the inside and outside of the roof pieces back together...
I hope the "remaining camper wood" was sound, putting good next to rotted will only grow the rot to the new wood. I've seen some bad repairs on wooden boats that tried to 'sister' new with old rotted wood. It doesn't work.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:48 PM   #10

remain wood

I removed about as much old rotted wood as possible- then attached the "new" wood to the old and even used some "Grueat Stuff(expanding foam) to seal in the gaps. I hope this hold the problem areas, Id not some of it can be replace again- it is an old camper and is going to need some help at times.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:16 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
One way to stop the spread of the rot is to use this product:

BoatLife Maintenance and Restoration Products - Git-Rot | Bass Pro Shops

It is sort of a thinned down epoxy that actually soaks into the wood fibers and cures. It does work, I've used it on boats.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:07 PM   #12

Anybody have any idea what the thickness of the wood on the sides of the roof should be?