Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Pop Up, Tent Trailer and Teardrop Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2018, 08:26 PM   #1

Mid Atlantic Campers
Plumbing bypass valve

Hello. We have an A-liner Ascape and I was attempting my first winterizing and it looks like there is no bypass valve for the water heater in our plumbing system. We are newbies and I was wondering if anybody could tell me what parts/tools I need to replace the current connectors (I've attached pictures). In the videos I've watched, there seem to be 3 valves that are part of this and I seem to have 4 connections and I am an extreme newbie to plumbing, RV or otherwise. Aside from parts, I'm not actually sure what are the connections that I should swap out. We have a suburban water heater, if that makes a difference.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
SandyClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181118_134516.jpeg
Views:	92
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	226520Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181118_132853.jpeg
Views:	93
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	226521Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20181118_133028.jpeg
Views:	89
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	226522
sandushinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2018, 09:48 PM   #2

It's really tight in there and hard to fully see all connections BUT....

Top BLUE line is the COLD Plumbing Line
Flex hose comes off that at the 'T' and feds the BLUE line at bottom which ios COLD Inlet to water heater tank

Bottom RED line is the HOT Outlet from water heater tank
Flex hose comes form that Hot out and feeds the HOT Plumbing line at the 'T'

There doesn't appear to be ANY valves in water heater cold or hot (may be a check valve in Hot outlet right at tank??)
There is also NO connection between the cold and hot flex hose to use as a 'Bypass'

You could disconnect the fittings on Cold (blue) and Hot (red) lines where the flex hoses connect....add a shutoff valve on end of each line (cold & hot) then add a 'T' on each shutoff valve and connect a 'bypass line with shutoff' between the 2 'T's
Add a fitting on each 'T' to connect flex hose back on.

3 shutoff valves

2 'T's
Short section of 1/2" PEX
2 screw fittings for connecting flex hoses
probably some short nipples for connecting to 'T's for flex hose fittings to connect to

Normal operation
Bypass Valve Closed

Cold & Hot valves Open

Bypass operation
Cold & Hot valves Closed
Bypass valve Open
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 04:34 AM   #3

Are you planning to blow out the system with an air compressor or use some of the RV antifreeze for winterizing?

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 04:24 AM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
Thank you both so much for replying. We were thinking of using antifreeze.
sandushinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 08:52 AM   #5

As a temporary fix you could just disconnect the cold water line at the HWH connection and disconnect the hot water line at the hot water header connection then connect the cold water hose to the hot water line. This would effectively bypass the HWH and you wouldn't need to do any plumbing. Long term put in valves or a bypass kit.

Tags
plumbing, valve