Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Pop Up, Tent Trailer and Teardrop Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2014, 07:57 PM   #1

Pop Up ?

We are going from Pa. to Calf. and back in our pop up. Length of time will be 4 weeks. Is this too long in a pop up?
skirk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2014, 09:48 PM   #2

JMHO: Weather dependant, good weather , month on the road, not an issue: packing up daily in the rain , then setting up in the rain ; a week could seem like a decade. Young kids involved a century.

Remember ; depending on your trailer tire size and towing speed, that's a lot of miles, extra spare and replacement wheel bearings a must.
Old 09-24-2014, 05:39 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
When we had our P-u-P (1999-2005) we did many 14 to 18 night trips at 2-3 locations. Went as far as (From NE. Ohio) VT, NH, PA, Myrtle Beach SC. The only downer would be packing up in the rain.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 05:52 PM   #4

A couple of years ago, we did a month long cross Canada trip in our popup...It was a great trip, but daily tear downs and setups got real old after a while. We are in a 5th
wheel now. We do miss the popup at times, but not on long trips
poncho62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:45 PM   #5

We sold our Fifth Wheel and truck. We purchased a 2014 GMC Acadia and the Flagstaff 246D Mac. This has been wonderful we get 16.6 to 23 MPG and that is from Yellowstone to Vegas and then Calf.
Set up and take down is not bad. parking easy. Getting fuel is easy.
The pop up is tight but for us it is fine. We have had bad rain storm and we were dry!
Old 10-14-2014, 07:01 PM   #6

Not too long

in 1977, my parents took us on a cross country trip- FL, TX,CA and though the Grand Canyon and back to PA. There were 6 of us including my parents. we traveled 8715 miles in 28 days and it was a trip we will never forget. It does take some work with a family in a camper but it can work and have a good time. Go For it and enjoy!
Camper Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:50 PM   #7

We did a 2 1/2 week trip with my parents, the DH and I and our 2 sons in a PUP. Everyone had their "job" when we set up or broke camp. We gave ourselves 3 "spare days" so if we had storms, we could stay put an extra day and not have to pack up in the rain. We did a loop of Texas, down the coast, then to the west and back up. One of the very best vacations I ever had. Spent 2 of our extra days in San Antonio, since we only ever used 1 rain day. Wonderful time!!
DreaminBig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:46 PM   #8

Look on it as an adventure. You don't know what the weather will be and who cares, you're on vacation! If kids are involved they will have a great time and will talk about the trip for the rest of their lives.
People used to do this routinely with a tent. You have a pop up, what a luxury.
Go for it, don't look back and create those memories.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 04:52 PM   #9

We made it home and we did just under 8500 miles. The pop up was the best. We were dry , warm, and happy!
Repairs one light lens and that was it. Fleetwood made a very good pup. We are going to do it again.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:57 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
We pull a small pop up with our motorcycle. We undertake long tours with it ranging up to 6 weeks.

We have only one rule is not to set up in the rain. We have been very fortunate and most of our trips have very few rain days.

Long travel in a pop up is not an issue for us. We carry a day or two of food so store visits are a regular event.

We are planning a month long trip for next summer with some friends with our motorcycle club. Going to a motorcycle rally.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:39 PM   #11

I have read a pop up is not good for long trips. We are very happy with the pop up. It takes us 20 min to set it up and yes the rain is not fun we have done it. The beds were dry and I was soaked. Do it again yes we are in the planning stage now for next year. The 4 weeks were a blast.
Old 08-26-2016, 05:56 PM   #12

Hey can anyone help me out with my 2006 Fleetwood pop up camping, I'm new to the game and I'm having problems with my refrigerator... I can't seem to get it to cool. When I place the power source in LP the burner comes on but I was told the unit would take over a day to make the refrigerator cool... Now here is my problem, when I plug the unit in a 120 outlet @ home and place the breakers in the on position (with 20amp and 30 amp) the A/C works and lights are on. But EVERYTIME I would place the 15amp breaker on in the middle and turn on that breaker the House breaker would pop, reset and again... My question is how long on LP, 120v and 12v does it take to cool a refrig and what position do the S/W have to be in to operate the thing.... I know u can only use one source @ a time. The 12v battery is fully charged, my problem is with the 15amp breaker popping ea.time I go to operate the refrig... Can someone tell me or direct me on how to operate my refrig... Thanks for any Help!!!
COOPICOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 07:32 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
If all I had access to was a pop-up, I'd be traveling in a pop-up.

Enjoy the adventure.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 07:47 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
If all I had access to was a pop-up, I'd be traveling in a pop-up.

Enjoy the adventure.
And just exactly how does this comment help the OP?

I do not think we have enough info on the refrig to help very much. Is it a three way (12VDC, 115VAC and propane) or just a 115VAC/propane? Most all RV refrigs require 12VDC as power for the control board, but some have a 12VDC heater in addition to the 115VAC heater. Usually the two way refrig will be connected by a plug connector in the refer outside compartment. Please give us some more info and we may be able to help.

On edit: the time for a RV refer to cool takes much longer than a S&B unit. I would start cooling at least 24 hours before you leave. Also, using food that is already cooled instead of normal room temperature items will help a lot.
Catfish
j2catfish is offline   Reply With Quote