Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Pop Up, Tent Trailer and Teardrop Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-16-2005, 09:51 AM   #1

we're taking a popup camper (with a/c) to mytle beach's Pirateland Campground the first full week of June. We've camped before here in Indiana at some state parks and had a good time but am I asking too much by taking a popup to the beach for seven days? Will it be able to take the winds and rains that sometimes come up? Anyone familiar with this campground?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2005, 09:51 AM   #2

we're taking a popup camper (with a/c) to mytle beach's Pirateland Campground the first full week of June. We've camped before here in Indiana at some state parks and had a good time but am I asking too much by taking a popup to the beach for seven days? Will it be able to take the winds and rains that sometimes come up? Anyone familiar with this campground?

Old 05-16-2005, 11:58 AM   #3

Stayed there first week of July last year and it was hot.Some wind but not that bad.We had a good time there.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 12:49 PM   #4

Though I've never been to Myrtle Beach, I can give some suggestions.

We stayed a week in Savannah, GA in June 2002. 100+ degrees and 99% humidity the whole trip. That was before I knew about solar blankets on the bunk ends, etc.. I would suggest making sure you have the solar blankets to reflect the heat or your A/C will really struggle. Ours ran on High 24hrs/day and it only got cool around 1:00 in the morning

In June 2003, we went to Ocala, FL. In the 90's the whole trip with severe storms every evening. I lost my canopy on that trip.... With the solar blankets, we stayed cooler in the camper.

In May 2004 we went to Mobile. Hot and humid again..... tornados, etc... The camper will hold up in most storms without any issues. Just make sure to either anchor the canopy down or put it up when storms approach. Being at the beach, you shouldn't have to worry about trees/limbs falling on you.

Have fun and stay cool and dry.

Thing '74
WicAndThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 02:30 PM   #5

WE have been to Myrtle Beach travel park (right along the ocean) which I assume Pirateland is too. As far as the wind/rain goes, Yes it is really windy there. MAke sure you have conopy tied down. And most everything that can get "airborn" keep in the pop-up. Murphy's law is that when you are far away from your unit, there will be a "surprise" . People lost awning, etc. As long as you know about this, which is why you asked the question, I think you will be OK. Good luck

DH (Larry) <><
Allegro Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 05:28 AM   #6

I was in Myrtle beach 16-23 April this year, and it was cold, seems wind is always blowing, bit like Chicago..in April it was 15-20 MPH, so yes awnings tend to get a bit floppy !!..nice place to visit. Pirateland that I saw, was not on the beach, but an entertainment center in down town !! maybe there is a CG by that name too..there is lots of camping done in the area, also RV's, 5th's etc all over the place.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:40 PM   #7

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
If you don't already have any, buy some sand stakes for your canopy tie-downs. These are at least twice as long as regular tent pegs and are less likely to be pulled out by even the "normal" sea breezes you encounter in coastal areas. Sand stakes are usually easy to find at campground or nearby stores with a camping department.

While every RV has its limits in a storm, a pop-up is quite durable. I camped in one for 14 years that weighed less than 1,000 pounds (dry). Most of todays pop-ups are much heavier (and better equipped). We camped in a number of coastal areas and endured some nasty storms. I remember one storm in Nova Scotia where the wind blew so hard against the side of the pop-up that the rain penetrated the canvas and came out on the inside as a fine mist.

Also, I always chock my wheels... just for added insurance against movement should the wind kick up.
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 08:56 PM   #8
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
Howdy and Welcome.

We have had ours in some strong winds, Out here at Lake Pleasant it gets real windy and the canvas keeps you up until you get used to it. I don't like putting out my awning unless I am around , just in case. What we do is put it out like normal, Then I use tie down straps wrapped around the front beam and brought straight down hooked to a stake at the bottom of the outside poles . This keeps the awning held down, to keep it from flapping to much , I used the idea from the big boys and since my awning is as wide as the support poles I use the big spring clamps over the awning holding it to the poles.