Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Pop Up, Tent Trailer and Teardrop Topics
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2006, 06:15 PM   #1

When I pull the pop-up out of driveway she scrapes.....I believe on the stabilizer jacks. Where can I purchase the sand jacks (some of the higher up pop-ups have them) The ones that crank up and down. I do have a 4" drop hitch on and don't want to go any farther. Tow vehicle is 99 F250 4x4. Or could I install small caster wheels like the big rigs have? it only scrapes for about 2 feet. I dont want to get to campground someday and find I'm unable to pull corner jack out and down due to damage.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2006, 06:15 PM   #2

When I pull the pop-up out of driveway she scrapes.....I believe on the stabilizer jacks. Where can I purchase the sand jacks (some of the higher up pop-ups have them) The ones that crank up and down. I do have a 4" drop hitch on and don't want to go any farther. Tow vehicle is 99 F250 4x4. Or could I install small caster wheels like the big rigs have? it only scrapes for about 2 feet. I dont want to get to campground someday and find I'm unable to pull corner jack out and down due to damage.
Old 04-24-2006, 02:24 PM   #3

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Can you back and pull out of your driveway so that your pop-up at an angle when the wheels reach the street rather than straight out? My driveway is on a rather steep slope and I found that that if the trailer was on an angle that (at least in my case) it didn't scrape.

Of course, your ability to do this is going to be determined by a number of variables; primarily the width of your driveway and what obstacles, if any, border it on each side.
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 06:00 PM   #4

You said it with your first ability, driveway width. But I'll give it a try when we finnally get out!
fourgonefishn
Old 04-24-2006, 08:03 PM   #5

fourgonefishn,
A couple of additional thoughts for you to consider.

First, does your existing 4" drop hitch allow you to tow the trailer level? If the back of the trailer is lower than the front, you really should consider a longer drop.

Second, if you are towing level, have you considered putting blocks on the axle to raise the bottom of the trailer 2-4"? On larger trailers some "flip" the axle to raise it up.

Either one of these solutions should be less costly than replacing the corner jacks. Since you tow with a 4x4 (as we do) that is higher than a 4x2 truck, consider a solution that accomplishes what you need to raise the rear end high enough to avoid scraping.

Best wishes for finding the best solution for you.

2002 Thor Tahoe 23FBGL TT, 28'
Paul Heuvelhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 05:49 PM   #6

Paul,
The 4" drop is perfect riding height.. don't know about tongue weight and never had a problem with that. Like the guys said when we bought our pop-up(dealership) "little bit of overkill". Thus being 7.3ltr don't even notice it back there. Don't know if I really want to put blocks under, then again never really thought about it.
Seen the crank down sand pads and liked them from the start...just didn't realize the price $56.30 a pair. Guess that aint too bad.
fourgonefishn
Old 05-04-2006, 04:59 PM   #7

We had the same problem and my stepdad suggested putting the scrap boards we have for leveling under the pop up's tires where the driveway meets the street. That gave us just enough height to keep our back end off the driveway! It's a cheap, easy fix and has worked ever since.

Jen
jensspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 05:02 PM   #8

We have the same problem with our Niagara scraping going in and out of the driveway.
We found boards work OK, DH is trying to find longer ones in hopes that will help even more.
We have to really creap in and out.
Sherry
SherryandFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 04:56 AM   #9

Greetings, Well first off: Do Something, do not drag the back end on anything... Skid plate as used on Nascar cars may help ..but they may bend the frame... not cheap to fix... this problem applies to your driveway and while travelling to your destination..some gas stations also have steep entrances to the pumps.. I found when changeing vehicles I had the same problem. I didnt change the axle..just drive very aware of the problem. 4 feet of 2X6 helps, but a fiddle to carry.. so now just go very carefully and drive at an angle.