Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Pop Up, Tent Trailer and Teardrop Topics
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:31 AM   #1
pop up wont crank open or lock!

went camping last weekend and was raising my roof up when it was about half way up it just fell back down! we were able to get it up using a ratchet and a 5/8 socket on the nut inside of the crank tube! and were able to lock it up by putting a bolt in between the chain and sproket that goes from the crank to the threaded rod underneath the camper! does anyone know how to go about fixing this and how to get to the parts in the crank mechanism? is it done from inside the camper or from the outside? thanks for any info on this!!!

dentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2011, 09:10 AM   #2
You should add the year, make, and model. Sounds like either the cable is off the spool or the clutch mech went out. I believe you may have to take the outside panel off. Screws probably hidden under edge strips.

BuckHardy151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:16 PM   #3
sorry 05 fleetwood newport I went back and added that but I guess it didn't come up!
dentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:27 AM   #4
From what I've been able to find on the web, there is a little lever that is spring activated and is suposed to grab the teeth on the gear itself. Spring may be broken. Access from under neath.
BuckHardy151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:04 AM   #5
Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
We had a 99' Coleman PUP where I thought I was being proactive and sprayed lube into the crank area. The next time it wouldn't crank up...The crank box for my 99' was mounted just above the rear bumper. I was told by the dealer it was not meant to be lubed because it worked on a friction system where two cork washer like objects rubbed together and that what would cause the gears to in-gauge. By lubing it, the 2 discs would just keep slipping and not in gauge the crank gears. I had to drill out the rivets under the crank box and wipe off the lube I had applied. Now this "crank box" was mounted outside the trailer so it was easy to get to, but in later models I think the crank gear box was mounted higher on the back wall of the trailer.

I have a 05' brochure I'm looking at now and it has a picture of the construction of the PUP without and walls. And yes, The part you put the crank in is about 3' off the ground, then there is a chain that connects another gear at about bumper level...from there there is a rod about 2 feet long that goes under the floor and is then connected to a bunch of cables.

I wonder if that chain that goes from the crank handle to the bumper area gearbox broke. The length of the chain, that looks like a bike chain. would be about 1.5 feet. I wonder if you look under your bumper can you see the lower gearbox. On mine before I drilled out the rivet I was able to peek inside and see that the washer things were not in-gauging.
Jim, Diane & Robert ~ NE. OH.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:03 PM   #6
Here is some information that should help you resolve you problem

Parts Book: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/37743407/COL...highlander.pdf
From: Coleman Parts Books for Folding Trailers - All Models and Series

Coleman/Fleetwood Lift System Service Manual: Coleman® & Fleetwood Lift Systems Repair Manual.pdf

Lubrication Pictorial: Lubricating the Lift system - NEW - He Ruide's Photos

Dave in Virginia
1978 Winnebago Chieftain
Dodge M400 - 440-3
Classic Winnebago Site: http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote

« Roof | sway bars »